[spoiler][rant] Choosing factions at the end (RDC)

To start with, I have NO problem at all that I must choose one faction to the exclusion of all others. I'm fine with that. Considering how their interests are opposed to one another it only makes sense. It doesn't make sense that with dooms day on the horizon, they will be at each others throats, but that is a different issue that I can write off as "its a game."

My complaint is mostly about the Royal Deadfire Company and Maia.

I'm playing a Living Lands scientist, who is diplomatic and benevolent. My first thought was Valian Trading Company. But Maia, whom I romanced, isn't happy with that. My next through it to go to the RDC because they, like VTC (if you keep the director), seem to have a long term plan that helps out a lot of people as opposed the Pincipi who want loot, and Huana who seem to just want a power base (for the good of her people, sure, but I can't say that's a very good long-term solution to some larger problems).

However, when I'm asked to assassinate the Queen while they bombard an entire civilian section of the city, I'm like "WHATTHE****?!NO!!". At this point they, very reasonably, try to silence me.

This is where I start having a major complaint.

In the VTC board meeting, Maia spoke up and out about whats going on. In the RDC quest giving dialog, however she is completely silent.

She is in my party, and when the kill order goes out, she doesn't speak up on my behalf, nor does she turn her gun on me. SHE COMPLETELY IGNORES WHAT GOING ON. This, I have a problem with.

Then, as I'm standing in a pool of her comrade's blood, I go to talk to her, and she acts like NOTHING HAPPENED. This is the second issue.

There is a third, lesser complaint.

I would have wanted to talk to Kana. I realized that RDC was making militaristic moves into the Deadfire, and this is somewhat unsettling, but I was reassured that Kana was part of that. He seems pretty level headed, and not the "kill them all; write the history books to suit us" type. However when I went to look for him in Crookspore (or whatever) he was nowhere to be found. If I had a chance to talk to him about what is going on and stuff, that would have gone a LONG way to reassuring (and my character) that the RDC was the good guys.

• Like 5

I actually agree with your frustrations! It's really weird. The quest line adapts to what you did and what happened but Maia and Pallegina don't react at all. Even if you side with a different faction or against theirs.

I did what you did, and then at Ondras Mortar, Maia was worried about the (Huana?) fleet being attacked by the water monster, but didn't care that we were fighting Rauatai. It was bizarre.

I actually agree with your frustrations! It's really weird. The quest line adapts to what you did and what happened but Maia and Pallegina don't react at all. Even if you side with a different faction or against theirs.

I did what you did, and then at Ondras Mortar, Maia was worried about the (Huana?) fleet being attacked by the water monster, but didn't care that we were fighting Rauatai. It was bizarre.

Who did you go with? I know I'm locked out of the RDC line, and I'm pretty sure I'm locked out of the VTC line. I heard that Maia leaves if you go full Native, and Pallegina (my favorite character in PoE1, and second favorite, after Maia in 2) hates pirates. :(

edit: I'm thinking of save scumming and just saying that my sciency pacifist either decided to go along with the VTC despite Maia telling me not to, or suck it up and come to terms with short term pain for long term gain.

Edited by nstgc

After I killed the Rauatai in self defense, I went to the Onekaza to ally with her. Because I already indirectly ****ed up the Rauatai, she didn't make me do her nasty quest and we went to Ondras Mortar. Pallegina and Maia didn't seem to care /mind. It also prevented me from having to ruin Castol's life by doing the Huana route proper, which was important to me.

I was pretty happy with going the Huana route while making sure Castol was in good standing. I don't hate the Rauatai but I also am okay with the hit they take because the Huana become more strongly independent. And Castol gets to keep doing animancy on the region, even if on a smaller scale or in a smaller role, and saves Pallegina.

On a side note, you should be able to side with the Valians after the Rauatai incident with a similar lack of repercussions from Maia and Pallegina

• Like 1

After I killed the Rauatai in self defense, I went to the Onekaza to ally with her. Because I already indirectly ****ed up the Rauatai, she didn't make me do her nasty quest and we went to Ondras Mortar. Pallegina and Maia didn't seem to care /mind. It also prevented me from having to ruin Castol's life by doing the Huana route proper, which was important to me.

I was pretty happy with going the Huana route while making sure Castol was in good standing. I don't hate the Rauatai but I also am okay with the hit they take because the Huana become more strongly independent. And Castol gets to keep doing animancy on the region, even if on a smaller scale or in a smaller role, and saves Pallegina.

On a side note, you should be able to side with the Valians after the Rauatai incident with a similar lack of repercussions from Maia and Pallegina

Thanks! This is my first playthrough so I want to own my story mistakes. . .though not if they would be SUPER painful.

• Like 1

No problem! Just as a note, be sure to have a back up save in case updates or hot fixes changed how things work. I think the way I did it was kind of a loophole they might have gotten or will get rid od

of.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you turn down the VTC before talking to the RDC, you can't go back and say "Hey, those guys tried to kill me so I changed my mind." You can resolve the trial in Castol's favor but don't talk to him about things afterwards - not until you've visited the Brass Citadel and fought your way out again. Same thing with the Huana, I imagine.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you turn down the VTC before talking to the RDC, you can't go back and say "Hey, those guys tried to kill me so I changed my mind." You can resolve the trial in Castol's favor but don't talk to him about things afterwards - not until you've visited the Brass Citadel and fought your way out again. Same thing with the Huana, I imagine.

Its not the case with the Huana. You can turn her down, and she'll let you change your mind.

I ignored all the factions in my first game and went it alone, I got possibly the worst ending the game had to offer. I did not like the prove your loyalty quest of the Huana faction. I never tried to pick a faction and ignore the quest,  but I will try it and see.

Replaying from my other thread you posted in

I think this is a grevious error. To have Maia not respond or attack you initially, and then her leaving is bugged...it kills this playthrough.

So for my final third playthrough I'm going to do the quests but side with Huana because the rest are mad out of their minds ha.