Which games have aged well in your opinion?

Katphood

how about..

age-of-empires_12.png

or 

515602-septerra_7.jpg

now here a game that will never look old! Like..got a potion to make it younger foreveh lol 

A-Link-to-the-Past.jpg

• Like 3
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I find that Nintendo games age really well, in large part because of the responsive controls. Controlling Mario in Super Mario 64 still feels great, and the old 2d games are also still a joy to play.

Platformers age the best, along with puzzle type games. No contest there really. Any type of game is rightfully debatable.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I loved Septerra Core!

I know right ? That endingggggg..stayed up 2 days just to see it XD So worth it! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I've never seen the whole ending of Septerra Core. The Game kept crashing early during the cutscene.

too bad , cose that ending is just awesome . 

You can Google the issue though..

try some stuff like this here : https://steamcommunity.com/app/253940/discussions/0/846966335986596825/

maybe it help . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

The original Tomb Raider is still a top notch game on PC. Sure, the graphics aged poorly, but the game itself, the sense of exploration and discovery, the controls, the ambience, the music etc. are great. The game could use a faithful remake (not the pile of garbage that claimed to be a remake) :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd have to disagree with that. Not only have the graphics aged horribly in the original Tomb Raider trilogy but just about everything. The cgi's are a mess, combat is wonky, camera is hell and the animations are probably among the worst in gaming.

The remake fixes all those issues but if you must hate the remake, at least do yourself a favor and get Tomb Raider Anniversary instead which is a literal remake of all the best parts of the old trilogy by Core Design.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

• 1 month later...

I think the first Divine Divinity has aged quite well. Besides the clunky interface with the potions, the gameplay is still fastpaced, the story is solid and the graphics look nice enough. Every game that I can end with turning the last boss in a frog is a good game :grin: .

Edited by Harry Easter

I've found that it's about the player as well as the game. As someone who started with Infinity Engine games, anything earlier would be initially offputting - but many games would prove highly playable & worth the trouble if I read up on some usability tips and gave them a couple of hours to shine. (Some would, of course, prove not worth it.)

Adventure games from their golden age are far, far better than most of the latecomers; I've found that King's Quest 6 is very playable and looks charming. (In contrast, KQ5's no-text voice-only design makes it very annoying for me. KQ4 lacks some of 6's bells and whistles, but after enjoying 6, it gives me the motivation to try it.) And of course, later big-budget titles like Grim Fandango look simply fantastic and are even easier to pick up and play. Far better than, say, the recent Broken Age which I thought was very disappointing.

kings-quest-6-4.jpg

RPG side I'm currently playing through Wizardry 1, which got a great SNES remake in the '90s. I suspect that the addition of rudimentary graphics where the original '81 features only lines, helps a great deal; but most importantly, in all versions, Wiz1 is very crisp and fast in how it plays, and it's really refreshing after most contemporary RPGs that take 800 years to get anything done. Fire up Witcher 3, Kingdom Come or whatever, every menu takes a flourish to open and 8 tabs to navigate, picking up a bloody apple takes a lengthy animation, then you're running for 10 minutes from here to there just to get started. With Wiz1 you're in the dungeon within 5 seconds, moving through it with a snap, blazing through combat options.

wiz_castle.png

There are classics I've found difficult to get into, though. Darklands - by the way, very much beloved by Josh Sawyer - is a fantastic game evoking late medieval Germanic like few other games, but the real-time combat is just incomprehensible for me.

Strategy games have been far more difficult; things like, say, Lords of the Realm. Once we go before Age of Empires, C&C, Civ2, etc., strategy games seem to demand too many functions & usability becomes a real issue for me. That said, I vastly enjoy Shogun 1 and Medieval 1 in the Total War series; the overworld map's simplicity speeds up gameplay, and at any rate, Creative Assembly have largely failed to make any meaningful improvements to their core gameplay for over a decade now, introducing mostly pointless sideways and backwards additions.

In terms of how the actual gameplay has aged, I find that games which still get talked about today, tend always to be very good games. Their strengths remain very strong. The difference is that their weaknesses might be more pronounced today in light of more diverse competition. So if I know that I really like a sense of dangerous exploration in my RPGs, I know Wizardry or Ultima Underworld will deliver, or even Arx Fatalis. If I know that I really enjoy a good story, then I know it's worth sticking with Vampire Bloodlines, even if the game was clunky even at release to begin with.

Edited by Tigranes

To be honest I enjoy Septerra Core's combat much more than Final Fantasy's "classic" turned based combat, though it's been a bit so not even sure how I would compare it to Divinity Original Sin's turn based combat which is some of the best turn-based combat ever experienced.

Going to choose the below pc games,

(Which are in no real number order.)

- Anachronox.

- Septerra Core.

- Kotor 1 and 2.

- Fallout 1 and 2.

- Divine Divinity.

- Ultima 7: The Black Gate.

I still enjoy and play them every chance I get.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 1

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Yeah, I still very much enjoy Kotor 1 & 2 :)

I'd have to disagree with that. Not only have the graphics aged horribly in the original Tomb Raider trilogy but just about everything. The cgi's are a mess, combat is wonky, camera is hell and the animations are probably among the worst in gaming.

The remake fixes all those issues but if you must hate the remake, at least do yourself a favor and get Tomb Raider Anniversary instead which is a literal remake of all the best parts of the old trilogy by Core Design.

Hmm, I'll have to check my library. I'm sure I tried a remake a few years ago. It completely missed the point and felt like a dumbed down, completely linear corridor shooter with no exploration whatsoever involved. It was not a steam or a gog purchase, maybe when I still bought games from gamersgate. Will need to check.

On a more positive note, games that I still like to dust off and play every now and then: Jagged Alliance 2, Master or Orion 2 and X-Com3: Apocalypse. Whoever came up with dos-box... thank you!

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

X-COM: Apocalypse is a nice game. And a great study in how you can tune combat for turn based or real time, and not both. Someone playing it in turn based mode is not going to have a lot of fun. It turns the weakest enemies into horrifying deathbringers and later on when you face a hundred enemies with your miniature squad you'll be pulling your hair out.

I initially was disappointed with the game. Then I tried RT and everything went from there. Loved the fact that my end-game fleet could fly around trashing the city. :D

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Super Metroid.  Still looks great, still plays great, still has great music, still has great level design.  It was great 24 years ago, it's great now and it will still be great 24 years from now.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

DAGGERFALL

You're probably joking, but I actually tried replaying it a few years ago and it was surprisingly playable still. It ended up being on the right side of the WASD+mouselook-controls revolution. Games released the same year or slightly before that still had those horrible control-the-camera-with-your-keyboard controls. Those are impossible to play today, for me (I'm looking at you, Underworld-series).

I know the resolution is locked to something like 640x480 but that was strangely enough easy to get used to, even if my eyeballs bled a little for the first few hours.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!