Which games have aged well in your opinion?

Katphood

Are we talking about popular franchises? Or unpopular as well? How old/new is the limit set for answer?

To be honest, alot of pc games in the mid to late 90's that used 3D polygon tech has aged poorly. What we thought to be impressive back when, is now pointy with severe breakup, aliasing issues (even anti-aliasing agp's couldn't fix) and poor framerate. Consoles may have suffered the same fate but optimization and texture work for consoles was far superior and there are plenty of examples to prove that. One being the Legacy Of Kain series.

Which ones have aged nicely?

I put my money on 2D games, ones that weren't too ambitious or do not possess odd mechanics that don't nake much sense. There's something to be said about 2D games that have nice art and are simple enough for any generation. There's a reason why games like Candy Crush never age poorly, they just stayed revered classics, untainted by nostalgic fan pressure and that's a beautiful thing - when a franchose can be preserved.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Some 3D games of late 90's aged pretty nicely, just run FFIX or Tales of Abyss, and you'll see nicely handcrafted graphics, which are still superior to lot of proceduraly generated stuff we still get sometimes. And look at the design of these games. Tales of Abyss and Symphonia dungeon designs are wastly superior to Dungeon design of Zestiria and Berseria, despite Berseria being IMO best of the games, it has serious flaws in this department.

Only very few games today, mostly SONY exclusives are still on par with area design of these games, despite having 300x more polygons to use. They just rather use it on the animation of pubic hair of main protagonist than to put more effort to area design.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On the subject of graphics: Planescape:Torment will always be a winner, and I am not even talking about the enhanced edition. The original which appeared on gog back in 2009(or was it 2010?) still has top notch graphics with a few tweaks here and there.

That must have been the best 10 euros I've ever spent in my entire life.

Also, if you happen to have a OG PS Vita(the ones with the OLED screen) give your favorite PSone games another chance. They look wonderful on the tiny OLED screen. Playing Silent Hill 1 on the PS Vita made me feel young again. :)

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

UI and controls could use some work tho

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Never really played the Alpha Centauri back then. I really had hopes for CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH , but that game felt just too much like the regular Civ and the old fans of AC were disappointed too.

I hope that games gets a worthy successor some day.

My top games that I still enjoy:  UFO: Enemy Unknown + Jagged Alliance 2 + Fallout 1+2

I dont care for the old graphics, the game mechanics and atmoshpere are just unparalleled!

The original (ie. non-enhanced) Infinity Engine games, though BG1 and PS:T less so than BG2 and the IWD's. The original Neverwinter Nights -- the art style is quirky as hell and the controls might seem a bit odd, but they make sense once you get used to them, which is pretty quickly IMO. DOOM and DOOM 2 are still a blast to play. Diablo and Diablo 2 are, too. Adventure games like Broken Sword and Broken Sword 2 are very easy to get into with a timeless art style.

There's a lot of games that have aged well if you don't mind old-fashioned graphics, it becomes more problematic when things like UI and gameplay are un-intuitive or unclear. Games like Darklands are rough to get into. The old Goldbox D&D games, too, and so are Fallout and Fallout 2 IMO. Not for me. But I think new players wouldn't have the easiest time getting into them.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

How so?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How so?

Did you tried it lately? New resolutions does not work that well with this game and terraforming is quite a nightmare without hotkeys :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

How so?

Did you tried it lately? New resolutions does not work that well with this game and terraforming is quite a nightmare without hotkeys :)

There are hotkeys for almost all unit commands, definitely terraforming see page 152 in the manual - https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/docs/Alpha_Centauri_-_Manual_-_PC.pdf

SMAC, Rebellion and Caesar 3 had some of the best game manuals I have ever read

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

read my sentence again mate

Those strategy/rts games that have been mentioned here and IE games are generally ugly (no offense). While it's not about graphics, I think they've aged badly considering, and all these titles were very impressive during lainch.

Final Fantasy and other rpg games (whether 3D or pixel art) have also aged horribly as well as 6DOF games such as Descent and Star Wars X-Wing/Tie Fighter with visual artifacts at every corner. When devs feel they must remaster, it only confirms my intuitive nature.

Anybody play Starcraft? A perfect example of how a game aged negatively in 5 years. Look at The Sims which leads a similar path.

I'm going to name the titles that will and always have aged well:

Mario, Sonic, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, PAC-Man, Galaga.

Regretfully it's not what I or anyone else likes but what was developed well to stand the test of time. Just giving credit where credit is due :)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

read my sentence again mate

Actually not sure there's a right click menu - had thought there was so what would be nightmarish there, so will check. But I don't know anyone that plays a Civ game without the hotkeys, anyway :p

Edited by Malcador

Huh. I still love JA1 even today, but I wouldn't say it aged better than JA2. I can see them being kinda on par, as JA1's mechanics are still working well today, but generally I'd say JA2 is the title that aged better simply because the graphics and controls are more refined.

Oh, I'm pretty sure this is why that one Jagged Alliance kickstarter game bombed so hard.. people expected a new JA2, while the game actually resembles more a JA1 remake (is still not a very good remake, though :> ).

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

aged good..as in..still look good ? still fun after all these years ? Still playable...still run on a new pc ? :p 

My SNES still look good! the one who aged badly would be meh lol don't think I can play all the classic I have like I did back when I was a kid XD 

Kotor 1 and 2 still look good . 

The civilizations games , still good . Even if graphic wise....since CIv2...gotten better and better , the new ones just don't give back some stuff you can only find in the old ones . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

...and in case someone has a different opinion:

fight-me-gif-15.gif

With the first Mega Man you might be right, that was still a little rough around the edges but Mega Man 2? That was one of the best games ever back then, and it still is. ;)

I bought the Mega Man Legacy Collection a while ago which has Mega Man 1-6. I'll give 2 another go someday. Maybe I'll like it this time around but as far as memory serves, I remember a lot of trial and error in thosr games which simply requires you to memorize the level layout and the enemy movements.

Mega Man 2 has some fake difficulty, mostly noticable with the beams in Quick Man's stage, but by far and large you can get by with skill alone.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I never experienced series like Mega Man or Metroid as a kid. I suppose it had something to do with me being located in Poland.

Instead, there was...

...TURRICAN.

turrican2(amiga).jpg

Boy did I love all of the Turricans back then.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 3

I never experienced series like Mega Man or Metroid as a kid. I suppose it had something to do with me being located in Poland.

Instead, there was...

...TURRICAN.

turrican2(amiga).jpg

Boy did I love all of the Turricans back then.

humm..

may wanna look up THE FALL..

Kinda like a newer version of the old . Great game! 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Am I blind or really no one yet mentioned Heroes of Might and Magic III ?

well up to 4...

after that...I'm more inclined to say 'Tha **** is that ?!?!' lol 

but thats just meh :p

Edit: and I mean , yeah...Heroes of might and magic 3 is still beautiful as it was back when it came out . But so does , 2 and 4 :p 

Edited by E.RedMark

Elderly Hive Dweller

I find that Nintendo games age really well, in large part because of the responsive controls. Controlling Mario in Super Mario 64 still feels great, and the old 2d games are also still a joy to play.

Heroes 3 is of course an obvious mention.

Shoutout to Warcraft 3 (and Starcraft). Some people may not like the graphics, but I like the colorful cartoony look, and the gameplay is still fantastic. You can't really match Blizzard when it comes to the smooth camera movement, the responsive unit and hero controls, and the competetiveness in online play.

• Like 1