Question about modding the categorizing of weapons and armors

If it's cosmetic and it all still behaves the same under the hood, then it sounds just like a stringtable update.

> Is there a reason to go at it at all?

I don't think so? +1 indicates a mechanical advantage normally, doesn't it? This wouldn't necessarily transpose well onto the Pillars combat system...

From what I can glean Obsidian basically made there own ruleset so while they basically branched DND for a start

I'm pretty sure this one would involve itemmods.stringtable

There are (from memory) five levels of item plusmods but they are specific to the items

So, I could create a very simple mod (famous last words) that changed fine into +1 etc

Such a mod would be purely cosmetic, no actual mod to the stats

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

If it's cosmetic and it all still behaves the same under the hood, then it sounds just like a stringtable update.

I don't think so? +1 indicates a mechanical advantage normally, doesn't it? This wouldn't necessarily transpose well onto the Pillars combat system...

I think he simply want's the cosmetic effect

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

I think he simply want's the cosmetic effect

Yes, indeed. It's just cosmetic, I want all items determined as 'fine' to have the number +1 instead. All other stats and whatever equal.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I'll have a look later / tomorrow

In theory it's a simple one

Had a quick look

Should "Superb Breastplate" become "+2 Breastplate" or , more likely,  "Breastplate +2" for example?

This is just a simple stringable global change, but note that the system won't do the nice tooltips for you automatically any more (though I think in theory, you can link them back in).

I can live without any tool tips in this case.

So it is possible to edit it on a global level? I don't have to through every individual weapon/armour and change it (I mean I want to change both the generic items as well as the unique ones)?

This is just a simple stringable global change, but note that the system won't do the nice tooltips for you automatically any more (though I think in theory, you can link them back in).

I can live without any tool tips in this case.

So it is possible to edit it on a global level? I don't have to through every individual weapon/armour and change it (I mean I want to change both the generic items as well as the unique ones)?

yes you can. There are about 50 entries for level

first make a backup ( of  items.stringtable, recipe.stringtable and itemmods.stringtable in Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\localized\en\text\game then make another copy of them

so open these copies them with notepad ++ (you can also drag&drop them) and delete all the lines from the first <Entries> to  the last </Entries>

save them.

now again with notepad ++ select the original items.stringtable, recipe.stringtable and itemmods.stringtable open them with notepad++

press ctrl+f then search the various armor/weapon level in all the files opened , check those entry, when you found the ones

like this screen

notep.png

copy them to the other files where you have deleted the lines, ofc  string  from items goes to items and so on

then in the new document where you pasted the strings , replace the terms 'superb' with '+1' using "replace all" tab

for example

this one

<Entry>
      <ID>2423</ID>
      <DefaultText>Superb Boots</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

to

<Entry>
      <ID>2423</ID>
      <DefaultText>Boots +3</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>

after that you have replaced all the strings put these edited files in a folder of your liking and move it to the override folder .

Remember that the structure should be Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\override\NAME OF YOUR MOD\localized\en\text\game

(or replace 'en' with your language if you play with a language different from english)

check also here to understand better

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100818-how-to-work-with-stringtables/

Edited by kilay
  • Like 1

Just prepping to do this mod

The quality has five levels

Normal (0)

Fine (+1)

Exceptional (+2)

Superb (+3)

Legendary (+4)

Something counter-intuitive here, at least to myself, is I imagined exceptional to be better than superb (it's the other way around)

An upshot of the requested DND-style naming is that it becomes blatant that +3 is better than +2

• Like 2

Done

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/113

English only ATM

I'll have a bash at the translations in a bit though they may be a bit ropy as I only speak English, JavaScript, HTML, Pascal, C, Assembler etc :)

Edited by peardox
  • Like 1

Just prepping to do this mod

The quality has five levels

Normal (0)

Fine (+1)

Exceptional (+2)

Superb (+3)

Legendary (+4)

Something counter-intuitive here, at least to myself, is I imagined exceptional to be better than superb (it's the other way around)

An upshot of the requested DND-style naming is that it becomes blatant that +3 is better than +2

This is actually one of the other reasons I wanted to have this change. English is not my native tongue so it took me some time to realize that Superb was better than Exceptional. +2 and +3 will make it absolutely clear which one is better than the other.

Holy moly! That is super cool. Really big thanks for fixing this for me. :)

A follow up question though: If I use this mod, will it inactivate the achievments?

Nope, it only changes text so Achievements etc are still fine + dandy. Mods are encouraged by Obsidian (sod all documentation though)

It may argue with other mods that change items, itemmods and recipes text - that's the only possible issue. Apparently a mod clash results in a random mod being applied.

If someone did a full Welsh mod (my family live in Wales) such a mod you'd simply switch the language - Achievemets would still function correctly (but I believe not be translated as they apparently are external data)

It ONLY replaces the specific items with 'Fine', 'Exceptional', 'Superb' or 'Legendary' in them which makes for a small mod (198 total changes)

Unique items are unaffected even though they are +X - e.g. Modwyr still shows as Modwyr (it's a Fine, now +1 quality sword)

I just ran thru some language translations - chose to do de, pl + ru as they're all Adjective first. The results were a disaster (see below) and as I only speak English there's nothing I can do.

I was doing a simple string swap using Boots (item 2422 - 5) as a template

en
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/en/text/game/items.stringtable (179)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/en/text/game/itemmods.stringtable (9)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/en/text/game/recipes.stringtable (10)

de
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/de/text/game/items.stringtable (58)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/de/text/game/itemmods.stringtable (0)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/de/text/game/recipes.stringtable (0)

pl
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/pl/text/game/items.stringtable (12)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/pl/text/game/itemmods.stringtable (1)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/pl/text/game/recipes.stringtable (1)

ru
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/ru/text/game/items.stringtable (4)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/ru/text/game/itemmods.stringtable (0)
mods/pdx-dnd-quality/localized/ru/text/game/recipes.stringtable (0)

Edited by peardox

Nope, it only changes text so Achievements etc are still fine + dandy. Mods are encouraged by Obsidian (sod all documentation though)

It may argue with other mods that change items, itemmods and recipes text - that's the only possible issue. Apparently a mod clash results in a random mod being applied.

If someone did a full Welsh mod (my family live in Wales) such a mod you'd simply switch the language - Achievemets would still function correctly (but I believe not be translated as they apparently are external data)

It ONLY replaces the specific items with 'Fine', 'Exceptional', 'Superb' or 'Legendary' in them which makes for a small mod (198 total changes)

Unique items are unaffected even though they are +X - e.g. Modwyr still shows as a base Fine quality

I just ran thru some language translations - chose to do de, pl + ru as they're all Adjective first. The results were a disaster (see below) and as I only speak English there's nothing I can do.

I was doing a simple string swap using Boots (item 2422 - 5) as a template

As for other languages, it's no big deal for me. I only use English in game anyway. But of course, there could be others interested in this mod.

As for unique item, that was a bummer. I wanted them to be +X too. But doing that would mean manually changing each individual item, or did I missunderstand you?

Oops - just edited the description

In fact Modwyr now shows as Quality: +1

Stupid me, I disabled the mod to do screengrabs for a NexusMods title page

The mod replaces the Qualities globally (not seen any reference to fine anywhere yet)

There are some descriptions that still include the quality words but its a lot of work to change those ones for little return. In some cases fine is the correct word - you drink fine wine, not +1 wine :)

• Like 1

Oops - just edited the description

In fact Modwyr now shows as Quality: +1

Stupid me, I disabled the mod to do screengrabs for a NexusMods title page

The mod replaces the Qualities globally (not seen any reference to fine anywhere yet)

There are some descriptions that still include the quality words but its a lot of work to change those ones for little return. In some cases fine is the correct word - you drink fine wine, not +1 wine :)

Excellent! I'm gonna download and try this as soon as possible. Big thanks! :)

And drinking +1 wine would have been marvelous. ;)