After looking at The Fate Testarossa and seeing that Avenging Storm apparently works with the procs from Lord Darryn's Voulge, it got me wondering about how it interacts with carnage.  I'm guessing that, like most things (everything?) it won't proc off of carnage hits, but I don't really have an easy way to test it, so I wondered if someone else had.

I'm debating between making a Tempest (Berserker/Lifegiver), a Warden (Devoted/Lifegiver), and an Ascetic(Nalpazca/Lifegiver), and I'm not entirely positive which I want to go with.

Search for "the bomb" build in this subforum. Carnage + lord darrys voulge is amazing. 

And no i tested it, avenging storm doesnt proc off carnage

Edit: Here's the link, https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102639-single-class-build-the-ultimate-suicide-bomb/

Edited by giftmefood

Static charge is special and seems to be considered a weapon attack by itself. The same with ball lightning on the voulge. They build focus, for example. This isn’t terribly surprising, because they inherit things like two-handed style that benefit weapon attacks. I haven’t yet tested if static charge is a “melee” attack and can do things like build skald phrases.

I built a helwalker/life giver around the voulge and it’s very powerful. Helwalker supercharges your heals even further, so you can take a lot of damage and never go down. Duality of mortal presence also makes the stun on your relentless storm really debilitating. The character makes it almost impossible for the team to die, but casting heals eats into your damage output a lot, especially once companions start to be able to kill enemies really fast on their own. And the play style becomes pretty rote, after a while.

Edited by grasida

I haven’t specifically checked, but I’d be really surprised if carnage procs static charge/thunder. I think people like barbarians with the voulge because first, it can only be bound to barbarians, fighters and druids, second, the barbarian upgrade is really nice, because it lets you hit everything in a large aoe with disoriented and third, berserkers get a high crit rate, which is important for getting static charge to fire.

The way static charge works is it applies a stack whenever you hit, then whenever you crit, all the stacks in an aoe explode. But the 10 damage from static charge is treated like base weapon damage and gets modified by everything, so it gets super powerful if you can crit frequently.

Unless static charge itself is triggering carnage. That would be crazy, if so.

Edit: Well, there is definitely something going on between carnage and static thunder. I think carnage is actually applying stacks of it, which is really pretty broken and probably shouldn't be happening.

Also, I was playing a character using this weapon starting from 1.0, where static charge did nothing, to the 1.1 beta, where it did friendly fire. I then modded it to not do that, and it changed back with the patch today. But, for barbarians, it still has no friendly fire, meaning the weapon is probably almost unusable if you're not playing that class.

Edited by grasida
  • Like 1