[CLASS BUILD] Solo 1.1 PotD Thaumaturge (Priest/Wizard)

This is probably my favorite build in the game so far not just because it is very powerful but also very fun to play.

DISCLAIMER: Since this build is a pure caster it is exceptionally bad at killing bosses (Nemnok, Fire Dragon, Ukaizo Guardian, Kraken) as they simply have too much HP and you will run out of spells before you can kill them. In order to kill them you have to rely on Arcana / Alchemy.

Upright Captains Belt + Gipon

- Do Furrante quests until he gives you the belt

- Kill Mad Morena

- Kill Ship

- Continue with Principi Questline

Build vs Fampyr Crypt + Showing Gear at the end

Build vs Queen

Level up (pick in this order else you wont get all the important stuff)

Edited by araj123
  • Like 4

The reason I like this build is that it does not seem to be item - especially with ability - reliant. Can you confirm? I do not like the helm to be honest.

Also, have you actually played it solo from level 4 or leveled up and went to the Crypt? I do not really care how strong a character is at max. level as when max. its end of game for me, I care for the journey to max. level so to say.

Lastly, you say Arcana is not essential, yet you have it high. Care to comment?

Armor and Boots are essential. Belt aswell up to a certain point (it makes you immune to the eora pull) later on your defenses are high enough so you can use something else.

I have played this build from lvl 4 to 20 however i lost that save so i did use the unity console to recreate the build in order to make the videos. I just put the points into arcana here because active skills didnt matter for the purpose of this video :D I will rerun the character soon and maybe record the whole run up to lvl 20.

Once you've done Nek quests (lvl 10ish) and got the obsidian lamp the game opens up and you can take a lot more fights. Once you're lvl 16 the game opens up more and you'll be able to do most content save for the really high lvl areas.

Actually the only thing really essential is the grimoire as lvlups are picked around it. I suppose if you want to use another grimoire you can do that but have to adjust level ups. You really want the freezing pillar.

Rest of the gear is not essential in order to make the build function however they do complement it very well. Especially armor, belt, boots and cloak. You can use something else however and the build will still play the same (albeit much weaker)

Actually the only thing really essential is the grimoire as lvlups are picked around it. I suppose if you want to use another grimoire you can do that but have to adjust level ups. You really want the freezing pillar.

Rest of the gear is not essential in order to make the build function however they do complement it very well. Especially armor, belt, boots and cloak. You can use something else however and the build will still play the same (albeit much weaker)

Thanks, I really like casters but found martial classes in general and multi in particular more powerful for my needs. It's not that I dislike gear, I do,  just do not like certain kind of gear. Freezing Pillar is Transmutation, right? Damn it .. I do not like Chill Fog ;)

Solo PotD still possible? Guess Obsidian needs to put in some more unavoidable fights with spell immune creatures and remove figurines and scrolls.

even if they do all of that people will still solo it :)

At least there will be few and it will actually be a challenge. Instead of cheesing till you're overpowered.

I dare anyone to play Battletech solo at highest difficulty.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

Good job :D Look solid
How do you farm this armor ? I can't get negative reputation with Principi after 1.1 :( 
Could this build do fight with enemies that used arcane dampener, mostly with level scaling mod ? 

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

How do you farm this armor ? I can't get negative reputation with Principi after 1.1 :( 

Could this build do fight with enemies that used arcane dampener, mostly with level scaling mod ? 

Unfortunately once you've gained a certain amount of positive reputation with the principi there is no way to get it into the negative. No matter how many of them you kill. Basically only do furrante quests until you get the belt from him and stay away from anything else that gives you principi reputation so you can still get the armor. Or just screw their quests altogether and kill them right away but you will miss the belt. You don't need it later on anymore when you have high enough defenses however it does help early.

Running this from 4-20 i can count the numbers ive been hit with dampener on one hand. When you're level 20 it wont hit you anymore because you simply have too high defenses. Im not sure what you mean with leveling scaling mod? Like mods that increase the difficulty? I am not sure as i havent tried any yet. Vanilla 1.1 there arent a lot of fights this build has issues with and that is without using potions and stuff so you can probably play it with a difficulty mod. Not sure how this would affect early game though.

Edited by araj123

Unfortunately once you've gained a certain amount of positive reputation with the principi there is no way to get it into the negative. No matter how many of them you kill. Basically only do furrante quests until you get the belt from him and stay away from anything else that gives you principi reputation so you can still get the armor. Or just screw their quests altogether and kill them right away but you will miss the belt. You don't need it later on anymore when you have high enough defenses however it does help early.

Running this from 4-20 i can count the numbers ive been hit with dampener on one hand. When you're level 20 it wont hit you anymore because you simply have too high defenses. Im not sure what you mean with leveling scaling mod? Like mods that increase the difficulty? I am not sure as i havent tried any yet. Vanilla 1.1 there arent a lot of fights this build has issues with and that is without using potions and stuff so you can probably play it with a difficulty mod. Not sure how this would affect early game though.

Thanks for explanation  :D Such amazing reputation system 

How do you fight Akemyr ? In Vanilla he dispel all your buffs and has something like +130 Accuracy and +130 to all defenses without buffs

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

How do you fight Akemyr ? In Vanilla he dispel all your buffs and has something like +130 Accuracy and +130 to all defenses without buffs

Arcane Dampener goes against Will. This build has 172 will defense (167 with circle of protection) so even with 130 accuracy he has an hard time hitting. I dont remember it being an issue when i fought him.

The biggest weakness of this build are HP sponges like Kraken and stuff because once you've used all your spells and it isnt dead you hit like a wet noodle. This is a pure caster after all. There are ways around that like actually picking a sword with the 7th power lvl spell (i forgot the name, the tensers like one) but it really isnt optimal. 

Arcane Dampener goes against Will. This build has 172 will defense (167 with circle of protection) so even with 130 accuracy he has an hard time hitting. I dont remember it being an issue when i fought him.

The biggest weakness of this build are HP sponges like Kraken and stuff because once you've used all your spells and it isnt dead you hit like a wet noodle. This is a pure caster after all. There are ways around that like actually picking a sword with the 7th power lvl spell (i forgot the name, the tensers like one) but it really isnt optimal. 

Thanks again for explanation :D I think with this build you can beat most of the fights from difficulty mod. You know it remember me about Priest's from POE 1, AOE spell, Stunlock, Such amount of buffs

If you had a time could you record Queen fight with Difficulty mod (without Arcana/Alchemy)

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD still possible? Guess Obsidian needs to put in some more unavoidable fights with spell immune creatures and remove figurines and scrolls.

even if they do all of that people will still solo it :)

Yep, I hate that Intellect immune guys :( 

https://youtu.be/4qmMq9uGGCA

Edited by mant2si

- Skip fights (but do quests) on starting island with escape and withdraw. If you're a masochist you can try them. No point though.

- Do Nekata quests (dont do the Mad Morena quest!!!!!) this should put you at lvl 10+

- Get Obsidian Lamp at Delvers Row (Shade summon) this will carry you till lvl 16

- Once you're lvl 16 the game opens, you'll be very strong

Seems like I'm spending hours doing nothing but running away and summon-cheesing until I'm at level 16, which is usually the point where most builds/parties start to steamroll the opposition (most of which, with unmodded upscaling, will be too weak to put up a fight). So lots of work up front, and then... eh?

I'd love to try soloing a priest/wizard, though. Is it your experience that the character just can't put up a decent fight until lv10 or 16? With a more martial solo setup, it's possible to start at level 1 and do Gorecci St and the drakes without too much cheesing, and also start exploring islands at level 7-8.

- Skip fights (but do quests) on starting island with escape and withdraw. If you're a masochist you can try them. No point though.

- Do Nekata quests (dont do the Mad Morena quest!!!!!) this should put you at lvl 10+

- Get Obsidian Lamp at Delvers Row (Shade summon) this will carry you till lvl 16

- Once you're lvl 16 the game opens, you'll be very strong

Seems like I'm spending hours doing nothing but running away and summon-cheesing until I'm at level 16, which is usually the point where most builds/parties start to steamroll the opposition (most of which, with unmodded upscaling, will be too weak to put up a fight). So lots of work up front, and then... eh?

I'd love to try soloing a priest/wizard, though. Is it your experience that the character just can't put up a decent fight until lv10 or 16? With a more martial solo setup, it's possible to start at level 1 and do Gorecci St and the drakes without too much cheesing, and also start exploring islands at level 7-8.

I havent tried fighting before lvl 10 although it should be possible if you get Obsidian Lamp. The shades are used to tank while you unload your spells. They are also great at cleaning up the fight if you buff them with your priest spells.

Getting to lvl 10 takes around 2 hours if you rush it.

Aren't you gimping yourself by not equipping Griffin's Blade or the Chromatic Quarterstaff? You don't have to attack with them but they buff your PL and/or give 10% spell dmg

Use them if you want i dont like the look :)

I am also not sure how weapons go with recovery speed of spells

Edited by araj123

Thanks again for explanation :D I think with this build you can beat most of the fights from difficulty mod. You know it remember me about Priest's from POE 1, AOE spell, Stunlock, Such amount of buffs

If you had a time could you record Queen fight with Difficulty mod (without Arcana/Alchemy)

Just because i hate her so much :) Fck that character. 

Without mods though. Would have been a lot easier with Shark Soup food (immune to the knockdown if i am not mistaken).

Just because i hate her so much :) Fck that character. 

Without mods though. Would have been a lot easier with Shark Soup food (immune to the knockdown if i am not mistaken).

Thanks, yes, I can do her without mod also :) but I can't do her with difficult mod :D

With mod all enemies have L20 and some of them has something like +120 to all defenses and +30% more HP 

Edited by mant2si