Wael is a resentful bastard

I mean, the whole point is that they *represent * ideals and gods but don't really 100% match or meet expectations.

You could say that they could have written them being flawed better, but I think to some extent they are *supposed* to come off as petty and petulant, like "spoiled children." I don't think there would have ever been a rendition of them where they're wholly sensible, responsible, or reasonable. Berath stands out for a reason.

• Like 2

Yup, and Berath is a spiteful little biach who turns you into a small fuzzy if you say "no" to her as well... First time in I completed the game in around 2.5 minutes lol. 

Allegedly I was happy in my blissful ignorance though??  :getlost:

Wait, Berath is spiteful for sending you on to your next life, as you were supposed to, if you don't want to help her? You're literally dead at that time, what should she do?

And an Ideal taken on it's own is very much a stupid thing: you can't even call them self serving as they blindly follow the ideal they embody, which means morality as we know it is

out of the picture as well. The "spoiled children" facet comes in since they can't deviate from that course, and will stomp anyone who goes against it.

Also, the gods are not well balanced people. They are ideals taken to extremes, and have difficulty even understanding things unless you explain it to them in the terms of their own portfolios. Like scorpions crossing a river, it is their nature to sting.

Ideals don't bicker like spoiled children.

So there's never been conflict between equality and personal advancement, or safety and freedom, or progress and preservation? And those discussions never turn out to be ridiculous flame wars when polarized?

Now imagine that, but with those personified Ideals actually bickering over which is best, each believing they're objectively correct so the other's must be either stupid or evil. The factions in PoE1 all consist out of Ideals that largely overlap.

• Like 2

Yup, and Berath is a spiteful little biach who turns you into a small fuzzy if you say "no" to her as well... First time in I completed the game in around 2.5 minutes lol. 

Allegedly I was happy in my blissful ignorance though??  :getlost:

Wait, Berath is spiteful for sending you on to your next life, as you were supposed to, if you don't want to help her? You're literally dead at that time, what should she do?

And an Ideal taken on it's own is very much a stupid thing: you can't even call them self serving as they blindly follow the ideal they embody, which means morality as we know it is

out of the picture as well. The "spoiled children" facet comes in since they can't deviate from that course, and will stomp anyone who goes against it.

Also, the gods are not well balanced people. They are ideals taken to extremes, and have difficulty even understanding things unless you explain it to them in the terms of their own portfolios. Like scorpions crossing a river, it is their nature to sting.

So there's never been conflict between equality and personal advancement, or safety and freedom, or progress and preservation? And those discussions never turn out to be ridiculous flame wars when polarized?

Now imagine that, but with those personified Ideals actually bickering over which is best, each believing they're objectively correct so the other's must be either stupid or evil. The factions in PoE1 all consist out of Ideals that largely overlap.

The Gods in PoE are nothing like what you're describing.

an Ideal taken on it's own is very much a stupid thing: you can't even call them self serving as they blindly follow the ideal they embody, which means morality as we know it is

The Gods in PoE are nothing like what you're describing.

My example may not have been the best, true. Allow me to rephrase.

They're "pure ideals" with a personality, but in my opinion it's pretty clear that their morality/worldview is solely based on what they represent. Authority/Justice wants to bring everyone, including her fellow gods, to heel. Rebellion/Betrayal helps her, since it means rebelling against/betraying the existing order. Mystery/Discovery wants to control secrets. Stillness/Nothingness wants to end everything. Progress, Trials and Natural Selection find common ground. etc.

Sure, Justice has far more in common with Vengeance, but for someone who considers herself to be objectively right, Vengeance is Justice. Rebellion/Betrayal's into some really disturbing stuff and helping the ultimate control freak, but why should he care so long as he's rebelling? And of course Natural Selection doesn't want you to turn off the machine producing apex sea predators, they're literally his reason of existence.

They're utterly annoying and stupid, and they should be, just like a first-year philosophy student in love with the works of Nietzsche or Marx is utterly annoying and stupid. And while I agree that they weren't written as well as they were in PoE1, I can't say they were written bad. Somewhat flanderized, but not bad

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 1

Eothas and Berath were pretty cool.

Ondra turned out nicer than expected, Skaen had no personality aside from tokenary evil. Woedica made sense but being the baddie from Part 1 means no one wants to root for her anyway. Hylea is classic goodie so not much there too. Galawain was filler. Rymgard is potentially interesting but role is too small. Magran's character is too inconsistent.

Wael turned out to be disappointing, for someone who's supposed to be all about mystery.

• Like 1

Oh yes they do!

There are no people more blind to any other viewpoint than idealists.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!