While the game is good, I don't think it lives up to the original Pillars of Eternity. I hope future patches and DLCs will deal with some of these points.

Even after the first major patch, there are still some bugs:

1) Movement stuttering when in Fast Mode. It seems like the characters don't know exactly which way to go. 

2) Manual save files will periodically delete themselves from the saved game list.

3) When going to ship view, some companions won't appear on the upper deck unless you go to the lower deck then return to the upper deck.

4) When returning to the world view from ship view, the party order will sometimes randomly change.

My biggest game play issues are:

1) Companion quests are uninteresting. In the first PoE, companion quests developed them as characters and furthered the story in some way. Nuanced choices effected the epilogue. In PoE II, the quests just feel like pointless errands with no real purpose and lackluster conclusions. You either pick the obvious, decent choice or be a complete jerk to your companion.

2) The romance with a companion seems like something developers tacked on reluctantly because it was promised in the crowd funding campaign. It requires zero effort on the player's part to achieve, has almost no effect on the companion's interaction with the player, and does absolutely nothing in the story.

3) Ship battles need major tweaking. Any damage you do in story mode offers no benefit if you ultimately end up boarding the enemy ship to complete the encounter. It just wastes resources. The inability to capture enemy ships after boarding them is extremely disappointing. The only way to get a better ship is to sink a ton of money into buying one. There's only one ship you can capture near the end of the game and it can't be upgraded. If it wasn't useful to get the cash from the bounties and loot I wouldn't even bother with this part of the game.

4) Island discoveries were a let-down. Aside from naming them and getting a "good job" and money from Sanza, they don't give you anything. It would be nice if you could possibly help get settlers to them once they've been cleared, or getting a resource boost for your ship, or anything besides just forgetting them.

• Like 2

PoE has undergone much refinement, making it considerably improved from the original release. PoE 2 has just begun this process.

Yes, but the game has been paid for and released. It is perfectly reasonable to expect it to be in fine shape, which, judging by these forums, it manifestly is not.

PoE has undergone much refinement, making it considerably improved from the original release. PoE 2 has just begun this process.

I have no issue with a period of refinement. The game isn't bad as is, it just isn't as engaging as the first one. Hopefully they'll take the most common suggestions to heart for future updates and any DLC expansions.

Yes, but the game has been paid for and released. It is perfectly reasonable to expect it to be in fine shape, which, judging by these forums, it manifestly is not.

The game isn't terrible. I still enjoy it. There are just some things that take away from that enjoyment at times.

The movement stuttering you mention seems a bit odd to me. 

In my experience the pathfinding has been tremendously improved in Deadfire. 

With that being said ship battles are not fun and the whole minigame is more of a chore that can be bypassed easily when it could have been a nice addition. 

I sure would love to see  a Stronghold feature brought into the game. One you can build-up and manage. To me it would have made since to have something like Dunnage or Deadlight for the watch to operate out of. You know, where you could have your own forge, shipwright, market, dungeon, erect temples to a god or gods in honor of them or etc. and research tech upgrades to make them better. Somewhere you could promote crewmembers to captain another ship in your fleet and have them run missions like Caed Nua in PoE.

Another element would be having the faction(s) that you have ticked-off attack your stronghold in retaliation for negative choices you made against them or to jail-break one of there people if you chose to capture one. 

I know it's a longshot idea, but IMO it would add a pretty cool element to the game that would tie in to the theme of starting over. 

• Like 2