V1.1.0.0035 LAXABE -steam "error loading the next map" - 100% unplayable

Juneau

Question

So this started today, it was fine up until last night.

I just handed in a few bounties after arriving back in Neketaka, now when ever I try to leave or enter a building, the game crashes, normally with an error that says 

Loading Error
There was an error loading the next map. Returned to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption.

I've tried going in every building and then leaving to another area or onto my ship. It's now happening 99% the time. I've tried a few of my previous saves, including yesterdays. It's happening everywhere.

Screenshot of error : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1415775695

Outputlog attached.

Game is now unplayable with my current saves. Will try to play a new game and do a reinstall on steam and edit with results.

EDITED HERE TO INCLUDE ALL BELOW REPLIES/FINDINGS

__

Save file link: https://drive.google...u-zZBLlL7TNsXUe
DXDiag attached in 2nd reply in this thread

edit: Same issue on new game,
edit: Reveryfying game integrity didn't resolve.
edit: it seems new games are unaffected - just all my quicksaves and autosaves. Note - I genuinely don't want to start again, I have 40 hours into the game.
will await a reply/patch. le-sigh.
side note - just over half way down the log you got a NullReferenceException. Now we all know, Nulls are bad :D (I am a Developer, but not with the UnityEngine)

__

I decided to try a few of the other saves and try and "catch up" they all seem to be A-OK until I return to Neketaka, at which point once I go anywhere - ie Brass Citadel the map doesn't load.

An interesting side note. The Save I just used, I loaded in Queens Berth, left by See, went to Tikawa (sp?) and ran around, went in buildings no issues. Then returned to Neketaka. Whilst I was running I got the message

"Someone calls out your name" now normally this is the guy who escaped the other island, who wants to talk about Eothas, I normally tell him that the Dawnstar are a community if anything. It then lets me go anywhere in neketaka, which is when it then fails to load. This time however, "My ship crew got sick" - TWICE, whilst I was on land.... that was new. So I hoped, maybe it's sorted itself out - NOPE.

Still get the map failed to load error.

__

Ok... so. It appears to be on all saves, even on a new game, the second I try to go to the Brass Citadel. I can fast travel to a building inside the Citadel, but the second I want to leave the building - thats when it crashes. So assuming I can just ignore all quests that send me there... we're good. I can carry on.

Still, not great but hey ho - It will likely be months before what ever this NULL POINTER EXCEPTION is gets fixed.

So work around. Avoid Brass Citadel.

output_log.txt

Edited by Juneau
  • Like 1

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

21 answers to this question

Sorry, forgot some attachments.

Save file link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12QJMOh-rHKSYPqVZcu-zZBLlL7TNsXUe
DXDiag attached.

edit : Same issue on new game,
edit: Reveryfying game integrity didn't resolve.
edit: it seems new games are unaffected - just all my quicksaves and autosaves. Note - I genuinely don't want to start again, I have 40 hours into the game.
will await a reply/patch. le-sigh.
side note - just over half way down the log you got a NullReferenceException. Now we all know, Nulls are bad :D (I am a Developer, but not with the UnityEngine)

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Juneau
  • Like 1

Update.

I decided to try a few of the other saves and try and "catch up" they all seem to be A-OK until I return to Neketaka, at which point once I go anywhere - ie Brass Citadel the map doesn't load.

An interesting side note. The Save I just used, I loaded in Queens Berth, left by See, went to Tikawa (sp?) and ran around, went in buildings no issues. Then returned to Neketaka. Whilst I was running I got the message

"Someone calls out your name" now normally this is the guy who escaped the other island, who wants to talk about Eothas, I normally tell him that the Dawnstar are a community if anything. It then lets me go anywhere in neketaka, which is when it then fails to load. This time however, "My ship crew got sick" - TWICE, whilst I was on land.... that was new. So I hoped, maybe it's sorted itself out - NOPE.

Still get the map failed to load error.

• Like 1

Ok... so. It appears to be on all saves, even on a new game, the second I try to go to the Brass Citadel. I can fast travel to a building inside the Citadel, but the second I want to leave the building - thats when it crashes. So assuming I can just ignore all quests that send me there... we're good. I can carry on.

Still, not great but hey ho - It will likely be months before what ever this NULL POINTER EXCEPTION is gets fixed.

So work around. Avoid Brass Citadel.

• Like 1

Seems like no one did yet, so I just wanted to thank you for this post and your investigation into this bug.

It's pretty much the same issue for me and I really don't feel like starting over after 50 hours with the added risk of running into the same bug again.

Has this problem been acknowledged by the developers? It sure ended my playthrough right on the spot so it probably should be treated with elevated priority.

Seems like no one did yet, so I just wanted to thank you for this post and your investigation into this bug.

It's pretty much the same issue for me and I really don't feel like starting over after 50 hours with the added risk of running into the same bug again.

Has this problem been acknowledged by the developers? It sure ended my playthrough right on the spot so it probably should be treated with elevated priority.

Unfortunately, no reply from the Devs yet, but in all honesty I think they are about a month or two behind in terms of replying to posts on the forum, so there is a good chance, they won't get around to this for several weeks yet.

I did quite a bit of searching on the forum and couldn't find anyone else with this issue at the time of posting.

I would like to think a null pointer exception would be a high priority - In my line of work (I'm a developer) null pointers are super bad because it normally means someone didn't do their job properly (null checks, making the data required etc..) that and the fact it seems to be impacting my game for all play throughs, I would put this down as "Game Breaking" and not just some bug.

But there is a work around Syrek112. Simply put, don't go to the Brass Citadel.... Question, is the Brass Citadel the place you can't visit? Or is it somewhere else?

Follow up questions - Are you Romancing bird lady? 

Have you got food rep with those in the Citadel?

For me, the answer is yes, and she IS in my Party... I'm going to try taking her out of my Party and visiting the Citadel - Just on the off chance it is something in her relationship route causing the issue.

However, on the work around it is a shame, because that was my romance choice and I have about 7 hand ins/quests telling me to go there. So far, I don't think the main quest is broke because of it - Derailed, yes, as I can no longer get the Deadfire company to back me up so I have to go it alone or take someone else with me etc... BUT I'm essentially now IGNORING all side quests and just finishing the main story line - because... I'm super annoyed at the game BUT I want closure.

• Like 1

Hi All,

This issue is logged as affected multiple users and is being looked into for a fix.Sorry for the late reply!

Best,

-Caleb

Thanks Caleb, as an FYI I just pushed ahead and finished the main story-line as I appreciate it could be months before a fix is found.

I'll start another play through if this gets fixed as the ending was sad with so much unfinished. I imagine a lot would have been different.

I look forward to an update when ever that may be.

Regards

Thank you for your understanding. There is a hotfix out now, would you mind seeing if the issue is still present?

Best,

-Caleb

Well that was quick!

Can confirm, have reloaded a few different saves. Traveled to the Brass Citadel and not "failed to load". Any idea on what it was (from a developer stand point i'm genuinely curious and also wondering if anything i did helped to ID the issue!)

Thanks, I can't play today which is a shame but I look forward to carrying on from where I was! Cheers

Oddly enough, it was tagged as an issue with an audio file playing on multiple instances, and three major scenes (Hasongo, Brass Citadel, and Adra Mill) were the biggest cases of this.

Now there are other bugs open that have the same tag, so if it is still occurring please let me know! For visibility its best to start a new topic as well :)

Thanks!

-Caleb

• Like 1

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Cdiaz, so new play through works fine, just my old saves seems to be corrupt.

Ok, I'll note that the old saves don't appear to work with the fix. I think this is my fault and was under the impression the fix would be retroactive.

Thank you for letting me know!

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Cdiaz, so new play through works fine, just my old saves seems to be corrupt.

Ok, I'll note that the old saves don't appear to work with the fix. I think this is my fault and was under the impression the fix would be retroactive.

Thank you for letting me know!

-Caleb

Mine worked ok old saves. Least it did for Brass Citadel in my one test. Will be playing more tomorrow.

in my old save the issue isn't solved at Luminous Adra Mill (started with 1.02)

the others work (all from 1.1.0035 and 1.1.1.0064)

Edited by kilay

I am still experiencing this bug as well.  In my opinion the dev team needs to be focused on fixing game breaking bugs like these instead of releasing DLCs.  I have been a backer of both this game and the original and this is overwhelmingly disappointing and souring my taste for this franchise.  

I should not have to be forced to restart my game after many hours of playtime.  If this is not resolved soon I would like to request a refund.  How would I go about that process?

Question, is the Brass Citadel the place you can't visit? Or is it somewhere else?

Follow up questions - Are you Romancing bird lady? 

Have you got food rep with those in the Citadel?

I'm sorry for the late reply. It's Yes to all 3 questions.

Also I tried to continue after the hotfix was mentioned but it didn't solve the problem unfortunately. I'm not even entirely sure I got that fix. Steam says my client is top notch though so I should have.

Same situation - I try to enter Brass Citadel, the load screen pops up, screen goes dark again and shows the version number in the upper right hand corner, then throws me back to the title screen.

I am aware that your "workaround" is not meant to be taken entirely serious but that simply isn't an option for me anyway. I really don't want to leave content on the side just so I can "get done" with the game. Question being if I'm even still interested in finishing the game when they get around to patching this bug out.

Ah well, it was fun up until then at least.