New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

Speculation is that it happened on engine relight. The fog became orange for a second and then debris was falling down.

I'm really annoyed that they tried to do this in the heavy fog. Now we don't even have new footage of anything.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm honestly surprised it takes so long. I kinda thought they'd drop it down and start flying, in like an hour or what.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

I'm honestly surprised it takes so long. I kinda thought they'd drop it down and start flying, in like an hour or what.

It's an expensive piece of hardware, so I'm sure they will be ultra-cautious.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

51 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I just can't imagine what it is that they have to check for weeks.

Charging the battery is the delay I read

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, InsaneCommander said:

What happens if a dust storm comes?

The rover is nuclear powered, so it should be okay. I'm not sure about Ingenuity, but maybe they don't expect it to last long anyway?

On 4/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, InsaneCommander said:

Yes, I mean the helicopter. Could it be damaged by a storm?

Probably not; the atmosphere is too thin. The biggest hazards are the cold nights and dust covering the solar cells.

Experiments on perseverance rover extracts O2 from Martian atmosphere

As extremely cool as the helicopter is this is a much bigger deal I think

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210423-how-grass-and-gel-could-make-condoms-better

"From condoms that self-lubricate to ones with in-built medication that protects against STDs, the contraception of the future is already in development."

"There are a variety of reasons for why people are resistant to using condoms – religious grounds, poor sexual education and a dislike of the way they feel. Condom breakages or slippages are relatively uncommon, but do occur – some studies estimate they occur in between 1% and 5% of cases – and this can also impact confidence and whether people use them.

It has led researchers to search for ways of improving the humble condom with innovative materials and technologies in the hope that it might enable more people to use them.

One promising idea for stronger condoms uses graphene – an ultrathin single layer of carbon atoms that was first identified by Nobel Prize winning scientists at the University of Manchester, UK, in 2004. Aravind Vijayaraghavan, a materials scientist at the National Graphene Institute at the University of Manchester, believes "the world's thinnest, lightest, strongest and best heat conductive material" could be ideal to improve the properties of condoms."

That Graphene stuff sounds interesting. Not just for enjoyment purposes 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

came here to say the same. Great success

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think it's more that 1950s sci-fi writers knew what they were writing about. :p Sci-fi of today is most of the time just fantasy where magic is disguised as technology. 

• Like 2

I suddenly feel like playing the Flash Gordon sound track by Queen again

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein