New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

11 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Just like most fusion based ideas.
But it might be viable in a century or so. 

It doesn't require actual fusion; just the magnetic fields already used for containment. I'm not sure how practical it is mass-wise though.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

aaaaand it boomed

• Sad 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

22 minutes ago, rjshae said:

New wearable device turns the body into a battery

Everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo.

Well we need to power our augs, somehow.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Communications to be reestablished with voyager 2

those folks down in Canberra did a monster job on that and did it well

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2267723-sunlight-could-power-micro-aircraft-flying-above-the-stratosphere/?

The team believes that in the future, versions of the microfliers fitted with sensors could be used to map wind and temperatures in the mesosphere, which could improve climate models.

“In general, it’s unclear how many practical aspects of this technology would work, such as delivering the microfliers to this part of the atmosphere, which would presumably need to be dropped from rockets,” says Karen Aplin at the University of Bristol in the UK. “At the moment, this technology looks like a bit of a solution searching for a problem.”

“I should say that every time a new flight mechanism is implemented or discovered, people find new applications that are hard to think about from the beginning,” says Bargatin.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

21 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

How to Watch Live: NASA Drops Perseverance Rover on Mars. 8:55pm UST tomorrow. Be there or be square.

Is funny to watch when you consider the delay.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The invention may get Army Aircraft Quadcopters to move quicker

Dr. Jean-Paul Reddinger, a U.S. aerospace research engineer. Army Combat Capability Development Command, now known as DEVCOM, Army Research Laboratory, is researching how rapidly a quadrotor of the size of a king-size mattress can fly from the ground to the roof of a two-story house, especially with large payloads, such as the weight of a Soldier.

sign.jpg

16 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

WooHoo!

Im also interested in seeing how the Chinese land Tianwen-1. Is it using a "sky crane" too? 

I think they are using an airbag landing. Their probe is quite a bit smaller. Perseverance can’t do that because it’s huge. The biggest payload that several landed on Mars

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Study shows Dolphins have similar personality traits to humans.

I never knew that half of all dolphins were ****!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

13 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I think they are using an airbag landing. Their probe is quite a bit smaller. Perseverance can’t do that because it’s huge. The biggest payload that several landed on Mars

I just checked Wiki and it looks like the entire lander will parachute/rocket to the surface and then deploy the rover.