New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

6 hours ago, rjshae said:

Drug Reverses Age-Related Mental Decline Within Days

Sounds way too good to be true. But if it is... wow.

"“ISRIB’s extremely rapid effects show for the first time that a significant component of age-related cognitive losses may be caused by a kind of reversible physiological “blockage” rather than more permanent degradation,” said Susanna Rosi, PhD, Lewis and Ruth Cozen Chair II and professor in the departments of Neurological Surgery and of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science."

if it works, even if only in mice, it fundamental changes what we thought we knew 'bout brain disorders, particular those linked to age.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I suddenly feel a lot smarter than I am! 🙃

Wait... 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

Well, at least in mices. Doesn't mean it works on us too, no? : >

What it does suggest is that the process works, so it may just a matter of finding the right compound.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

8 minutes ago, rjshae said:

What it does suggest is that the process works, so it may just a matter of finding the right compound.

"mice lie and monkeys exaggerate."

is perhaps a bit more complicated than suggested, but is nevertheless an amazing bit o' news.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is a bit bigger than my fridge magnets...

https://www.iter.org/mach/Magnets

Went looking for the rest after reading an article about the magnets used in Iter (a fusion reactor being built in France). It's presumably so strong it would be able to lift an airplane out of the ocean. Of course the BBC article didn't specify if they were talking about a Cessna or an Airbus 320.

Mind you, those big plasma chambers will need a lot of magnetism to keep the plasma contained.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

China has completed a sample and return mission to the moon. Congrats to them.

Chinese capsule returns to Earth carrying moon rocks (apnews.com)

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 12/10/2020 at 2:42 AM, Lexx said:

What do you mean with rocky start? This was awesome. Nobody expected it'll get this far. They almost nailed it on the first try ever with something that was never tried before. Let them fix the engine issues and there we go. 

SN9 is already build, so the next test won't be far away off either. Super exciting.

/Edit: I'm browsing the news and ofc so many people are laughing and saying the mission is a failure ... completely missing the point of that test. Seeing this ignorance makes my blood boil, seriously. This test was a huge success. Except for the landing and the mid-flight engine failures, everything worked. The rocket took off, made it high, managed to flip itself to the side, glide down, get back up and slow down for the landing. I'm pretty sure the results would have been even better if the 3rd raptor would have kept working.

Falcon 9 crashed many times before they nailed the landing, and now everyone is taking for granted that we shoot rockets into space and have them come back to the landing pad completely unharmed. This is not something we're doing since ever, this is super fresh tech.

Hell, going by the speed of things, I'm very certain we'll see a perfect starship landing in the next couple months.

I feel the same. So many people thinking it was a failure. They will nail it soon and it will be a revolution. Starship is cheaper and carry much more. It will enable solar energy from space, bigger telescopes than James Webb, asteroid mining... and so on.

Dammit, I explained it to a friend and he still said it must have cost a lot of money to SpaceX. Come on, they probably predicted many failures just in case. They wouldn't bet on quick success.

sign.jpg

23 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I look forward to a future where cat images can be shared faster than light! :cat:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rjshae said:

The big question for me is whether commercial space exploration will have access to nuclear energy.

Not even ESA has that.
It may technically be possible but associated costs would be ruinous for commercial ventures.

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

The big question for me is whether commercial space exploration will have access to nuclear energy.

Why not? Are not power plants commercial as well?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Nuclear power in space has energy density as a major requirement while terrestrial plants don't. That means that all (?) space based nuclear reactors use highly enriched fuel, and highly enriched fuel == 'weapons grade' which is even more very tightly controlled than low enriched fuel. The Russian plants for example use 90-95% U235 in space, their ground equivalents use 3.5-5% enrichment.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:15 PM, ComradeMaster said:

I thought its pretty known they were real? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

^ Got scrubbed, by the way. Next try is today I guess. Last thing I heard, the weather report wasn't that great, though, so there is a good chance it won't happen today either.

Edited by Lexx
  • Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Has this woman just invented the rocket that will take us to Mars?

Dr Ebrahimi's new concept performs much better than existing plasma thrusters in computer simulations - generating exhaust with velocities of hundreds of kilometres per second, 10 times faster than those of other thrusters.

Sounds cool. When can we get one?

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."