New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

As you were all aware voyager one and voyager two are both beyond the Heliopause and out of our solar system. They are both reporting something very interesting now. The farther they get from the effectS of the sun the greater the density of charged particles per cubic centimeter of space has been:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/for-some-reason-the-density-of-space-is-higher-just-outside-the-solar-system/amp

that seems counterintuitive to me. That there would be a greater amount of charged particles outside of the flu each of the sun then inside of it

Didn't read that yet but would not it be because outside of sun gravity there is nothing pulling them in so that might explain why are there more 'free' particles? (I know there should probably be some micro gravity of the system anyway but maybe mass of free particles is pullgin them togather). Now lets see how big dum-dum I am....

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The thing about it that piques  my curiosity Is that these particles have mass. Not a lot obviously but cumulatively over time will they cause a vehicle traveling in interstellar space like voyager to decelerate? Theoretically if you could accelerate to 50% of lightspeed and head towards Proxima Centauri would you still be going 50% of light speed when the time came to begin deceleration?

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 10/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, Gromnir said:

curious, the author o' the article didn't listen to albert.

gravity don't "pull" or "force." need change your pov if you are gonna understand general relativity. earth is not pulling you down, but rather is rushing up towards you. is why you feel (and are) weightless if you, for example, jump off the roof o' a multi-storied building. 

*shrug*

is extreme difficult to change pov if even the science writers is explaining using newtonian nomenclature.

HA! Good Fun!

Exactly. Everything wants to follow a geodesic (a straight line in curved space) and Earth is pulling your geodesic inside it. I think this is the best explanation I've seen so far:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The thing about it that piques  my curiosity Is that these particles have mass. Not a lot obviously but cumulatively over time will they cause a vehicle traveling in interstellar space like voyager to decelerate? Theoretically if you could accelerate to 50% of lightspeed and head towards Proxima Centauri would you still be going 50% of light speed when the time came to begin deceleration?

50% of light speed is alot. So it might not reduce too much, but it would certainly happen. Specially if you consider collisions in the way there. Even a small fragment would hit the ship as a bullet or worse.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

On 10/19/2020 at 4:34 PM, Guard Dog said:

I knew the two Voyagers had left our solar system. But this new discovery is very interesting to me. Thanks for posting.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, InsaneCommander said:

Exactly. Everything wants to follow a geodesic (a straight line in curved space) and Earth is pulling your geodesic inside it. I think this is the best explanation I've seen so far:

video

this is a fantastic video. we use a jumping off a building scenario all the time when am attempting to explain and am knowing based on the glassy-eyed stares we get in response, am rare making an impact. figured if it were good enough for albert einstein...

thanks for the vid as we will unapologetic be using in the future. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the Engineering scene...

ArsTechnica - Meet Ravn X, a fully autonomous air launched rocket for small satellites

An Alabama-based startup unveiled a launch system unlike any other on Thursday in Jacksonville, Florida.

The company is named Aevum, and until now it has largely operated in the background. But now, it's ready to show off some hardware, and it's starting with the "Ravn X" launch system's first stage. This autonomous aircraft and launch vehicle measures 24 meters long and has a wingspan of 18 meters. It has a gross takeoff mass of 25,000kg—massive for an uncrewed aerial vehicle.

Also, Ravn X looks really slick. Without a pilot on board, the drone can pull significantly higher g-loads and steeper ascent trajectories as it releases a rocket at altitudes between 10 and 20km.

"We claim that our aircraft is a first stage because it actually contributes delta V," Jay Skylus, Aevum's founder and CEO, said in an interview with Ars.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Drone footage shows the shocking collapse of the Arecibo Observatory

Now if I were really, really paranoid, I might suspect that the CCP had sabotaged Arecibo just to get scientists to start using FAST (Five-Hundred-Meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope). But that would just be crazy thinking. Right?

China Built the World’s Largest Telescope, But Has No One to Run It

Aren't conspiracy theories fun? 🤪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

SpaceX SN8 rocket test should start soooon!!

I am sure there will be big flaming ball in the end!

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

On 12/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, rjshae said:

Drone footage shows the shocking collapse of the Arecibo Observatory

Now if I were really, really paranoid, I might suspect that the CCP had sabotaged Arecibo just to get scientists to start using FAST (Five-Hundred-Meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope). But that would just be crazy thinking. Right?

China Built the World’s Largest Telescope, But Has No One to Run It

Aren't conspiracy theories fun? 🤪

I hate to ruin a good conspiracy theory, but the Arecibo observatory had already been decommissioned and closed for a while. It was scheduled for demolition when the collapse happened. More likely because it didn't get any maintenance after its closure?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

IIRC it was the other way around. It became dangerous, then got shut down because the repairs needed- cable replacement- had gone too far to be done safely/ economically.

(Having checked wiki it was only decommissioned a few weeks before the collapse, and two cables needed replacing)

• Like 1

What do you mean with rocky start? This was awesome. Nobody expected it'll get this far. They almost nailed it on the first try ever with something that was never tried before. Let them fix the engine issues and there we go. 

SN9 is already build, so the next test won't be far away off either. Super exciting.

/Edit: I'm browsing the news and ofc so many people are laughing and saying the mission is a failure ... completely missing the point of that test. Seeing this ignorance makes my blood boil, seriously. This test was a huge success. Except for the landing and the mid-flight engine failures, everything worked. The rocket took off, made it high, managed to flip itself to the side, glide down, get back up and slow down for the landing. I'm pretty sure the results would have been even better if the 3rd raptor would have kept working.

Falcon 9 crashed many times before they nailed the landing, and now everyone is taking for granted that we shoot rockets into space and have them come back to the landing pad completely unharmed. This is not something we're doing since ever, this is super fresh tech.

Hell, going by the speed of things, I'm very certain we'll see a perfect starship landing in the next couple months.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

No engine failures. As we know now, they were turned off on purpose, even the first one. Then they made SN8 hover a bit in the sky to burn off fuel and then flipped it to get down to the landing pad. The reason why the landing failed is because there was not enough pressure in the header tank.

Basically everything worked except for the landing. Big success.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 12/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, Lexx said:

No engine failures. As we know now, they were turned off on purpose, even the first one. Then they made SN8 hover a bit in the sky to burn off fuel and then flipped it to get down to the landing pad. The reason why the landing failed is because there was not enough pressure in the header tank.

Basically everything worked except for the landing. Big success.

I'm sure everybody who watched that will be queued up for a trip.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."