New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

Another article on the possible evidence of microbial life in the upper atmosphere of Venus

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2020/09/14/hints-of-life-on-venus/

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

55 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

Well, depends on how far they are... radio waves would reach solar system for sure, but I am not sure any arrived to nearest other system yet?

Traveling at the speed of light since what, the 1930s? Sure, they have reached nearby star systems.

13 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

It won't be an incorrect reading. They'll have had it checked by multiple other groups to confirm it. A mistake there and that simple would be career ending for the researchers and for whoever approved publication.

OTOH I'd have to agree that the belief that all pathways except for a biological one have been excluded is fundamentally hard to support for an environment as different as Venus's is from Earth.

It seems they have been testing fo six months. I think I read it in that leaked article I mentioned earlier. It s available now.

12 hours ago, Lexx said:

It's pretty big news, even though we still have to take it with a grain of salt. Will probably spawn a bunch of new Venus missions, which is also cool.

We will definetely need new missions now. But how long will it take? How much time will be needed to plan, prepare and launch? It might be faster to ask Elon Musk to do a flyby when going to Mars.

sign.jpg

32 minutes ago, rjshae said:

‘Planet Nine’ may actually be a black hole

I'm thinking "alien transportation grid".  🤩 You?

stephen hawking (rip) would be ecstatic if such were true. is hard to imagine such a small natural forming black hole.

neutron stars is what happens when a star with a solar mass up to 'bout 2.5x our sun dies. too small to be a black hole. smallest observed black hole to date is a bit more than 3.5 solar masses (am embarrassed to admit we forget the exact number.) even so, a star somewhere 'tween 2.5 and 2.6 solar masses is the minimum for black hole and the max for a neutron star. 

we mention hawking 'cause he hypothesised mini black holes. only natural occurring such would need be some o' the oldest objects in the universe 'cause could only occur synthetic or in conjunction with primordial conditions o' the early universe.

as such, "alien transportation grid" makes more sense than does natural occurrence. 

just to be clear, am not suggesting alien transportation grid is the likely explanation.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Traveling at the speed of light since what, the 1930s? Sure, they have reached nearby star systems.

is radio wave same speed as light? nearest star is around 4 light years away IIRC

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

is radio wave same speed as light? nearest star is around 4 light years away IIRC

Radio waves and light are both EM radiation of different frequency, i.e. all EM radiation travels at the speed of light in a vaccuum. So... yes. But signal strength diminishes very quickly (squared to the distance traveld if I remember my high school physics correctly, it's been a while).

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Apparently it can be very, very hard to distinguishing facial expressions when experiencing pain and orgasms. Those clever British are working hard on it though, putting their hard earned tax quids to good work on research. Soon the days will be over where it can be faked! 😝

Ah Brexit... you guys will be missed

"Significance

Humans often use facial expressions to communicate social messages. However, observational studies report that people experiencing pain or orgasm produce facial expressions that are indistinguishable, which questions their role as an effective tool for communication. Here, we investigate this counter intuitive finding using a new data-driven approach to model the mental representations of facial expressions of pain and orgasm in individuals from two different cultures. Using complementary analyses, we show that representations of pain and orgasm are distinct in each culture. We also show that pain is represented with similar face movements across cultures,whereas orgasm shows differences. Our findings therefore inform understanding of the possible communicative role of facial expressions of pain and orgasm, and how culture could shape their representation.Author contributions: C. Chen, C. Crivelli, O.G.B.G., P.G.S., J.-M.F.-D., and R.E."

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/168190/13/168190.pdf

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Yup. What @majestic said, though I think signal strength will remain sufficient well into a signal's travel into our galaxy.

The closest, the Alpha Centauri system, is about 4.2 light years away. Proxima Centauri b is the closest known exoplanet. The Gliese, Eridani, and Trappist systems (@ 15-16, 20-22, and 39.5 light years respectively), all have multiple terrestrial exoplanets within the habitable zone.

56 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Yup. What @majestic said, though I think signal strength will remain sufficient well into a signal's travel into our galaxy.

The closest, the Alpha Centauri system, is about 4.2 light years away. Proxima Centauri b is the closest known exoplanet. The Gliese, Eridani, and Trappist systems (@ 15-16, 20-22, and 39.5 light years respectively), all have multiple terrestrial exoplanets within the habitable zone.

so its safe to  say they don't have life capable of sending radio signals, otherwise we would already recieved it?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

so its safe to  say they don't have life capable of sending radio signals, otherwise we would already recieved it?

That is a good bet. That's what the SETI program has largely been all about, continuously scanning the radiation spectrum for any wave signals that may be artificial because radio signals would be the most basic way for us to receive signals from some other civilization. Technically it is possible there could be technologically advanced life that has, for whatever reason, chosen not to broadcast anything using radio waves, or else developed a way to limit the spread of their broadcasts. I would say it is unlikely, but who knows?

The more likely event is that technologically advanced life forms are at least several hundred, if not several thousand, light years away, and their signals have not yet reached us. At least I hope so, for the sake of our survival. 😉

Edited by kanisatha

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

It's been a long time since I was at school and such, but I don't remember the "Vikings" being described as blonde burly men as much as I remember the romanticists describing them like that. The material I remember reading did point out that vikings "imported" alot of foreign people here though, so it would follow that they would look mixed. Except the more northwestern people that is that didn't have readily available coastal access.

Then again, I read/watched Asterix alot, so when I think of the traditional viking look I generally think Asterix anyway.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If the spiders... and crocs, ants, sharks, snakes, cassowaries, platypuses etc. doesn't get you, the plants just might 😝

Toxins produced by Australia's stinging trees bear a strong resemblance to those of spiders and scorpions, scientists have found.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54199816

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Worst is that australia is traveling north, so in a few hundred years or so it will hit the mainland and all its monster critters will get lots new grounds to cover.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rjshae said:

Fascinating and scary at the same time... looks like the virus may have evolved at some point into first "drugging" it's victim to keep it calm and THEN whacking it over the head with a big. spiky club (after spreading to even more recipients) 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

curious, the author o' the article didn't listen to albert.

gravity don't "pull" or "force." need change your pov if you are gonna understand general relativity. earth is not pulling you down, but rather is rushing up towards you. is why you feel (and are) weightless if you, for example, jump off the roof o' a multi-storied building. 

*shrug*

is extreme difficult to change pov if even the science writers is explaining using newtonian nomenclature.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have found this recent National Geographic exploration has allowed me to (re)connect to the romanticism of youth and dinosaurs with a sense of joy!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2020/10/reimagining-dinosaurs-prehistoric-icons-get-a-modern-reboot-interactive-feature/

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

As you were all aware voyager one and voyager two are both beyond the Heliopause and out of our solar system. They are both reporting something very interesting now. The farther they get from the effectS of the sun the greater the density of charged particles per cubic centimeter of space has been:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/for-some-reason-the-density-of-space-is-higher-just-outside-the-solar-system/amp

that seems counterintuitive to me. That there would be a greater amount of charged particles outside of the flu each of the sun then inside of it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell