New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

8 minutes ago, rjshae said:

moon is mentioned in the article... which am shocked to admit we read. 

"The moon might seem a better candidate for alien spyware than some teeny space rocks; but any given point on the moon is in darkness for two weeks at a time, Benford said. A probe would have to be able to store energy until it could charge in the sun again. Still, he and Davies have both argued for taking a close look at the high-resolution images of the moon sent back by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, just in case something is there."

'course there is an inherent narcissism in the question o' whether aliens bugged the earth. 

am open to the idea there is other intelligent life in the universe. after all, the cosmos is such an indescribable vast place our imaginations cannot true understand the relative insignificance o' our tiny part in it. can express with math, but true scope will remain impossible elusive. as such am finding hard to convince self that humanity is a singular expression o' biologic evolved self-reflection. similar, am curious what would be the odds o' intelligent life would be moved to bother with the relative insignificance o' our little mudball o' a planet given just how many similar mudballs there must almost certain be.

am also not convinced ftl is practical possible given theorized energy requirements, which limits meaningful exploration by those alien eavesdroppers to an extreme small number o' near neighbors.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

whats wrong with trees? :)

• Gasp! 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

3 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Only work up to a point. A growing forest sequesters a lot of CO2 as it grows, but a mature forest is nearly in balance in terms of CO2 absorption and release. If you replaced every tree cut down in the last millennium you'd still have the excess generated from burning all the fossil fuels etc, and if you replaced every tree cut down in the past millennium half the world's population would outright starve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 3:50 AM, Chilloutman said:

Trees are a dangerous to your health. Don't approach one unless accompanied by a trained  professional 😛

https://www.reifflawfirm.com/100-people-killed-trees-every-year-united-states/

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...