New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

• 3 weeks later...

Could a Rusty Bridge Generate Electricity?

"The team has a grant from DARPA to develop the technology, and has filed a provisional patent application."

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

I was really excited about the mars landings at first, but the more I've learned about mars, moon, and space in general.... the more I feel like it's not something we should do right now. Real habitable space stations with artificial gravity seems much more sound - the only problem is from where to get the materials to build them (can't ship everything from earth, it'd be too much and too expensive).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think that Moon base makes most sense right now. Its great place to launch into space due to lack of gravity and atmosphere and still quite safe due to being close to earth. If they figure out how to make some fuel there we are pretty set. I am surprised there is no more effort for it.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

29 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I think that Moon base makes most sense right now. Its great place to launch into space due to lack of gravity and atmosphere and still quite safe due to being close to earth. If they figure out how to make some fuel there we are pretty set. I am surprised there is no more effort for it.

"water" is a word that comes up frequent as to why we haven't seen efforts to create an enduring moon base. the moon is dry (understatement) and while there may be more water on the moon than believed previous to 2009, is still a major hurdle to overcome.  plans to transport water to moon in sufficient quantities kinda ends discussion save for scifi and far-future kinda discussions.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I thought water is pretty much confirmed on Moon?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/moon-mercury-ice

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/ames/ice-confirmed-at-the-moon-s-poles/

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

like we said, 2009 there were discovery o' water on moon. lunar surface as well as belief o' sub-surface water. however, the amounts o' surface water is extreme small. the crater ice which is mentioned is typical in the couple gallon range and scattered 'cross large areas. subsurface ice is still more guestimate than anything, and scheme to access and process a largely unknown source nevertheless precludes real plans. 

water is a real issue. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps one reason why discovery that martian subsurface ice is a bit more widespread than previous thought were such big news is 'cause while is plenty o' ice at mars poles, poles is not where a base would be, at least initial. no doubt is a similar issue for moon. minimal lunar polar water is less helpful than one might hope.

pps am avoiding double-post, so excuse late edit. regardless, arguable biggest hurdle for a moon base has been recent democrat Presidents. george w. bush (hate him if you will) committed relative big money and were pushing for a 2020 moon return. bush push for moon were in part a response to significant nasa cuts by clinton. obama kinda gutted nasa and helped set off the privatization o' space travel movement. if mccain had been elected instead o' obama, maybe you get at least see the necessary return trip which is required before any serious talk o' bases.

the soviets were much ahead o' the US in the space race, until the US devoted billions o' dollars amounting 'tween 2% and 5% of total fed budget over the course o' a decade. keep in mind, soviets had all the important firsts in space. current total US defense budget relative to overall fed budget, depending on maths, is 'round 5%.

getting to moon was mind blowing expensive, and arguable the most meaningful reason why we got no moon base or trips to mars and whatnot is 'cause US functional won the space race and then efforts to block soviets shifted when were clear the soviets were throwing in the towel on continuing to one-up US space efforts. 

perhaps make china a real threat and maybe you see spending needed to achieve bases and travel and whatnot?

Edited by Gromnir
avoid double-post

hmm, I guess you are right, still we are now able to get quite a weight into space on latest rockets, I think water should not be that difficult to get there anymore? Delta 4 can carry 14 tons to high orbit, it should supply small base for quite some time if needed

Moon, mars, asteroids, I don't care I want it all to happen. I have had a deep and abiding love for human exploration and settlement of space since I was like 5 years old. That's why my first couple of degrees are in aerospace engineering. And since I am now in my fifties and I want to see this stuff become a reality in my lifetime, I am impatient as hell and want it to have happened yesterday.

32 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Moon, mars, asteroids, I don't care I want it all to happen. I have had a deep and abiding love for human exploration and settlement of space since I was like 5 years old. That's why my first couple of degrees are in aerospace engineering. And since I am now in my fifties and I want to see this stuff become a reality in my lifetime, I am impatient as hell and want it to have happened yesterday.

time to start new company I guess :)

On 9/19/2019 at 9:38 PM, Chilloutman said:

hmm, I guess you are right, still we are now able to get quite a weight into space on latest rockets, I think water should not be that difficult to get there anymore?

Only 3 countries have manged to land probes on moon so far.
That's despite considerable prizes for commercial companies and recent attempts by national space agencies of India and Israel.
Economics of human space explorations are not there and may never make sense. 

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Just for the record, the Israeli attempt was a private company.

I stand corrected but the point stands.
The obsession with planting flags, leaving boot-prints and making nonsensical inspirational speeches is only holding us back. 
Robotic exploration is good enough mean to look for reasons to venture beyond this planet.