New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

is someone shooting at us? :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

is someone shooting at us? :)

Oof, could you imagine technology behind a weapon powerful enough to push stars.

7 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

It's a sign Syfy should bring back the show Dark Matter :)

I loved that show and remember being surprised it got canceled but Killjoys survived. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Oof, could you imagine technology behind a weapon powerful enough to push stars.

Clearly someone has a Death Star. 😉

22 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I loved that show and remember being surprised it got canceled but Killjoys survived. 

Yeah me too. The bastards!

• Like 1

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2204442-high-tech-wood-could-keep-homes-cool-by-reflecting-the-suns-rays/

Liangbing Hu at the University of Maryland and his colleagues created the material by removing the lignin—a component of the cell walls in trees—from natural wood using hydrogen peroxide.

The remaining wood is mostly made of cellulose, another component of plant cell wall. Cellulose reflects visible light and only absorbs very low levels of near-infrared light. This means the cooling wood reflects most of the components of sunlight right back to the environment. As a result, a building made from this material would transmit barely any heat indoors.

The team also found that the material can absorb heat produced indoors, which is emitted at a different wavelength range to sunlight. During cooler nights, the wood helps release the heat outside, making it useful day and night.

Hu says the cooling wood is very dense and has a tensile strength of around 404 megapascals, making it 8.7 times stronger than natural wood and comparable to metal structure materials including steel.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, Gfted1 said:

inventor o' the foam is an iranian woman. the tech were original meant for biomedical applications-- stronger implant replacements which wouldn't suffer rejection as do most metal devices.

lucky we got  a "muslim ban" (albeit watered-down) to protect us from all those nogoodniks coming into the US from terrorist nations, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

26 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

could provide some better pictures...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Lets get hopping! Theres supposed to be a small test this week.

Right on!

As a former aerospace engineer, this week has been awesome for me with all the 50th anniversary of Apollo11 shows on TV. :)

• Like 3

To be fair, they couldn't have done that if it wasn't for the work that the government agencies did, the private companies wouldn't have the starting point to work from that they do now. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, Gfted1 said:

Who themselves couldn't have done it without Wernher Magnus Maximillian Freiherr von Braun. 😛

the thing is, there were a shocking large number o' people who were essential to making those big rockets possible. 

am recommending doing a search for a james burke video entitled eat, drink and be merry. is a  few surviving video links we found after a quick search. is a worthwhile fifty-minute indulgence even if you gotta endure an english guy narrating.

regardless, rather the retrospective, have been disappointed by lack o' coverage o' lightsail which hit major milestones recent.

still a few years away we s'pose.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 7/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, Gfted1 said:

Who themselves couldn't have done it without Wernher Magnus Maximillian Freiherr von Braun. 😛

Hehe. I got my master's in aerospace engineering from the University of Tennessee's Space Institute, the institution that was built to piggyback off of those German scientists, including von Braun, who were housed and working nearby.

• Like 2