New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

Space Marine Occulobes next! :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Stem cells strike back!

Better than snake oil apparently. Now curing Cancer and HIV at the same time!

Well, it does look interesting. I guess next question will be, can they make it affordable?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-47421855

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmm... Probably not, but as soon as there is a cochlear implant that can give me full hearing again, I'm signing up.

Or cybernetic organs. Or limbs. But I'm kind of hesitant to something that is hooked up to the internet, that is just begging for trouble. Imagine pissing of 8chan if you have a brainchip, you know you're going to be hacked, and they are going to hook everything so that your wikipedia searches are redirected to encyclopedia dramatica instead...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm curious what kind of psychological effects such a treatment would have. Like, what if it makes you extremely depressive, because you now know all the stuff you still can't do / everything that is wrong with everything / whatever I'm just making stuff up right now.

Does just being more intelligent really improve your life? I remember folks saying that it's useless knowing everything if you can't apply knowledge in a meaningful way.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Measles vaccine doesn't cause autism, even in high-risk kids

A massive study that further refutes the retracted 1998 study. If anything, the immunized kids showed a decrease in autism incidence.

In related news:

Measles Vaccine Reduces Death From Other Infections Too -- By Preventing 'Immune Amnesia'

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This doesn't make you smarter. It just gives you internet access, which is essentially just installing a backdoor to your brain. No problem there!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Czechs wins, we just managed to sneak KGB agent into CIA HQ xD

Edit: wrong thread :)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 2 weeks later...

SEE SCIENTISTS CREATE A LIVING BRAIN!

WATCH IN HORROR AS THE BRAIN CONTRACT ITS MIGHTY MUSCLE!

STARE IN DISBELIEF AS SCIENCE'S UNHOLY CHILD CHALLENGES THE WORLD!

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man