The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

"Scary and sad"

So.. the cops come in guns ablazing  without a warrant on private property and coldly murders the owner of the house.  People at elikely to use this as why people should haven't guns.. but, for me, this shows why the police shouldn't be allowed to have guns. They don't know how to use them responsibly. And, I bet the officers will suffer no repercussions. for this murder. EVIL.

Unfortunately I agree with this. Under the circumstance they don't need a warrant. There were exigent circumstances. But it does not appear they made any effort to figure out what was going on. Like I've said before, I'd give the police a choice: either give up your firearms while on duty or give up your qualified immunity. One or the other.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Scary and sad"

So.. the cops come in guns ablazing  without a warrant on private property and coldly murders the owner of the house.  People at elikely to use this as why people should haven't guns.. but, for me, this shows why the police shouldn't be allowed to have guns. They don't know how to use them responsibly. And, I bet the officers will suffer no repercussions. for this murder. EVIL.

In the U.S., the Police don't need a warrant under certain conditions, including exigent circumstances. As for police use of deadly force, the current threshold in Washington state is "good faith" and "without malice". There's some effort under way by the state to tighten down the requirements to be what a "reasonable officer" might do under the circumstances. But it's a difficult issue to get right. I'm skeptical that the officers in question were behaving badly.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Update

Richard Black, 73, was a veteran who served in the Vietnam War and was awarded a Purple Heart and Bronze Star during his time in the service.

So far I've not seen anything to suggest the shooting was justified. For now it sounds like the cops heard shooting while responding to a break in then saw a man with a gun and immediately shot him but all the reports I've been able to find are vague on that right now.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Of course.. the only living witnesses are the cops there and one kid I believe who was locked/.hiding in a room so likely didn't see the shooting. Cops took care of that when they murdered the owner of the house. They should be EXECUTED.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How stupid can they be in having the jewelry on display without any guards? The ****?

Still, hope they get nightstick'd until they're paraplegics.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Study: White Americans support welfare programs - but only for themselves.

Link to the research paper (requires subscription): https://academic.oup.com/sf/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/sf/soy046/5002999

Link to an article that reports and summarizes the study: https://www.salon.com/2018/08/01/white-americans-support-welfare-programs-but-only-for-themselves-says-new-research/

“I've been on food stamps and welfare. Anybody help me out? No!”

"Those other people are just lazy, I actually need it."

... the libertarian mind disease that has infected America.

Edited by ktchong

It seems so silly to me to try to steal national treasures. Theres no way in hell to fence it, you cant even display it in your home else someone will squeal. So whats the point of gigantic risk without any possibility of reward? Maybe for the thrill?

They'll smelt it and recut the gems I suppose. There's still plenty in material worth, either that or someone has made an order for the items. *Shrug*
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It seems so silly to me to try to steal national treasures. Theres no way in hell to fence it, you cant even display it in your home else someone will squeal. So whats the point of gigantic risk without any possibility of reward? Maybe for the thrill?

I have this mental image of taking them to the guys from Pawn Stars

best-i-can-do-is-3-dollars.jpg

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Except it's not a slur, at least not originally. It's simply the foreign name for the people, like how the English call Germans, German, and not Deutsche. It referred to their use of snow-shoes. This whole slur thing got started because of people's own ignorance. Both people not knowing their own history, and people taking other's at their word in fear of not upholding the progressive flag.

So what has resulted is the suggestion to use the word Inuit to refer to all Eskimo people, even though that name only refers to one ethnic branch. Essentially denying the Yupik people of their own distinction.

Sounds like there is a lot of debate as to whether the origin of the word was from snow shoes or raw meat eating. Regardless, words do change over time, etymology is a thing. I'd imagine the respectful to do is to use tribal names, much like with Native Americans. 

Although I do wonder if the word Eskimo is still salvageable. For example, it is acceptable to call things Oriental, but referring to people from Asia in such a manner is offensive. The respectful move there is to refer to people by their country or region. That way we can keep Eskimo kisses.

fig_3_eskimo_pie_ad_-_1922_duluth_herald

Hmm, that does look a bit offensive.  :geek:

The original article also goes over how  many people actually prefer to use eskimo to refer to themselves and have no issue with it. So.. who should we listen to? The ones who say it is 'bad word mmmkay' or the ones who go'it is no biggy, not offensive'.

Chances are it'll be the TRIGGERED ones because they're always the loudest. the others will just live their lives.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.