The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

That vet sounds like a piece of crap. No empathy at all for fellow humans.

Eh, maybe, it's pretty hard to lose a pet and watch it but at the same time the decision is meant to be for the pet not you so I think the owners owe it to the pet to be there until they cross that line.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not everyone can handle watching  loved one die. Be it pet, parent, child, friend, or whatever.  Ideally it might be nice to have the owner there but maybe they can't handle it.  they should have empathy for another human being. That's part of being a 'doctor'.It is not the place, imo, for a vet to be a judgemental piece of garbage. That is our job on the Obsidian boards. :)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not everyone can handle watching  loved one die. Be it pet, parent, child, friend, or whatever.  Ideally it might be nice to have the owner there but maybe they can't handle it.  they should have empathy for another human being. That's part of being a 'doctor'.It is not the place, imo, for a vet to be a judgemental piece of garbage. That is our job on the Obsidian boards. :)

Well life's not meant to be easy :p Besides, I didn't find their comments that judgmental - they seem to be explaining the benefits of staying.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have done it and held them in my arms 13 times now. The last one was the worst by far. I have loved every dog I've ever had but Tommy was special. Not to be melodramatic but a piece of me never left that room. As hard as it is though we OWE it to them. They are stressed, terrified, and not well to begin with or they would not be in there doing this. Being there for them, to calm them down, make them feel secure, safe and loved is the least you can do. I want the last thing they know on this earth is that they are with their family and everything is OK. When Tommy left this world his head was on my lap and I was petting him and telling him what a great dog he was. Never have any words been more understated.

I can certainly understand why someone does not want to be there. But rather than blaming them I'd just want them to know they let their friend down right then they were needed the most. I don't know how they could live with that.

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Jeeze, that's depressing. I always stay. I can't imagine leaving. One of our cats passed when kept overnight, cardiac arrest during morning physical, and it kills me he passed with strangers prodding at him. I can't imagine choosing that outcome on purpose.

It's the last resort. Tommy for example has Osteosarcoma. It's very aggressive in dogs. By the time he was symptomatic it had already spread to his lymph nodes. There were no treatment options other than pain meds to keep him comfortable. So I kept him warm, comfortable and well fed until the meds didn't work anymore and his quality of life began to decline. It was one of the worst days of my life but I would never let him continue on in pain. The outcome of the illness was a foregone conclusion. It is 100% fatal. What matters is how he spends the time he has.

All of the dogs I've loved and lost were elderly and infirm when the time came. I've been very lucky to not lose a friend young. I would never deprive them of a day they could be happy. But I won't make them endure a day in pain that I can't alleviate for them. They can't make that decision for themselves. They depend on us to do what's best for them.

All death is certain. For every one of us. We are born and sometime after that we die. What matters is the quality of what comes in between. You don't have to do great things. Cure diseases and all that. It does not matter that you go rich or poor. What matters is that you found enjoyment in just being here. If there is one lesson I'v learned for my dogs it's that the most important thing in this life is what you are doing right now! Drink the big cup of coffee, eat the foods you love, kiss your wife, take your kids to the park, don't put off the simple pleasures of everyday life. I think that is why we are here.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh, I think you misunderstood. It's the leaving them alone part I don't understand, not the putting them down for their own good part.

Most pets I've had lived good lives until old age forced my hand, but I unfortunately had to have a kitten put down for a fatal disease (FIP) a few years back. Barely three months old. Held the scared little tyke until his last breath. That one hit hard, just seemed so unfair. :(

• Like 4

Oh, I think you misunderstood. It's the leaving them alone part I don't understand, not the putting them down for their own good part.

Most pets I've had lived good lives until old age forced my hand, but I unfortunately had to have a kitten put down for a fatal disease (FIP) a few years back. Barely three months old. Held the scared little tyke until his last breath. That one hit hard, just seemed so unfair. :(

Completely agree on both counts. I won't even board one of my pups overnight. When I worked in Mexico for six months a few years back I had five. One stayed with my ex-wife, one with my dad, two with my brother, and one with a friend. I had dogs scattered from Florida to Alabama! But it was important to me that they were in a home with people and pets they knew and who knew them.

Losing a kitten at that age is just heartbreaking. You feel like you were both cheated out of what should have been.

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

"Kidd had been the director of the James Joyce Research Center, a suite of offices on the campus of Boston University dedicated to the study of “Ulysses,” " ....so no real wonder he ended up talking to pigeons.

An interesting light diversion to read. How realistic are Sci-fi ships? https://mashable.com/article/spaceships-realistic-sci-fi-science/#DC1pI84JEsqq

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

'cause stuff burning is strange compelling

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/how-napalm-bombs-intensified-us-attacks-du_1/

simpsons character with whom we most identify?  ralphie wiggum

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Lifestyles of the rich and famous preppers. Or "Screw this s--t when things go bad I'm moving to Middle Earth"

:lol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-rich-new-zealand-doomsday-preppers/

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell