Politics Thread - Ka-tet of 19

Blarghagh

Clarence Thomas is certainly more conservative than Alito.

In any case, thanks for the input.

I don't think I'd agree with that. Thomas has been my favorite justice (Gromnir is grinding his teeth right now) for a few reasons. He has been the most consistent champion of Federalism and the 10th Amendment (defers all power not specifically enumerated to the federal government to the state governments and to the "people"). He is also a judicial minimalist which I think is more virtue than vice. He dissented in Obergfell and I disagreed with him there but I follow his reasoning. Alito & Roberts dissent was about upsetting tradition. Scalia & Thomas dissented on the way the majority applied the 14th Amendment.

Personally, I'd say Nulla poena sine lege. But that is not a "conservative" position either.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Gromnir I assume you will not accept the idea that the better angels of our nature might just prevail. That most people might be decent to their fellow humans without Big Brother threatening them. But if you won't accept that then you can expect folks to act in their best economic interests.

lol what

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

In the American definition of the word liberal (meaning deferring to the State over the citizen)

By that definition it is safe to say that Trump will nominate another liberal justice (meaning yes man who consistently votes according to what State(Trump) wants)

In the American definition of the word liberal (meaning deferring to the State over the citizen)

By that definition it is safe to say that Trump will nominate another liberal justice (meaning yes man who consistently votes according to what State(Trump) wants)

He didn't get that with Gorsuch. He sided against the government as both plaintiff & defendant three times this term. Any President wants a justice that will do what they are told. But that is not what their job is. "Is it legal?" If their answer is "no" they are going to rule against you no matter if you appointed them or not.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Gromnir I assume you will not accept the idea that the better angels of our nature might just prevail. That most people might be decent to their fellow humans without Big Brother threatening them. But if you won't accept that then you can expect folks to act in their best economic interests.

lol what

He was temporarily taken over by the alternate earth version of himself, Red Dog.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

He didn't get that with Gorsuch. He sided against the government as both plaintiff & defendant three times this term. Any President wants a justice that will do what they are told. But that is not what their job is. "Is it legal?" If their answer is "no" they are going to rule against you no matter if you appointed them or not.

Gorsuch is mostly supported state's view (trump's view which in some cases are against state view) in the travel/muslim ban (Trump v. Hawaii), in bakery denying (Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Comm'n), service, unions rights to collect fees from non-union members for their services (Janus v. AFSCME), he gave his support so that states may charge tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers, even if the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state. (South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.) and in case of National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra Gorsuch supported majority view that crisis pregnancy centers have right to lie and withhold information from their clients.

He did go against state, in case in which the Court held drivers of rental cars have rights protecting them from unconstitutional searches by police, even if they are not listed on the rental agreement (Byrd v. United States), in that case court was unanimous in their decision.

and in case in which the Court held that the Fourth Amendment prevented Border Patrol officers from conducting warrantless, suspicionless searches of private vehicles removed from the border or its functional equivalent. (United States v. Ortiz) again court was unanimous in their decision.

Trump-Putin summit: What do you suppose Putin will ask for in exchange for his help in the upcoming mid-terms election?

Muahahaha... :devil:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Trump-Putin summit: What do you suppose Putin will ask for in exchange for his help in the upcoming mid-terms election?

Muahahaha... :devil:

Hopefully Trump will drop sanctions against Russia, so that we can return to normal trade with Russia during trade war with USA.

can someone answer me a question?  why is it okay to not service a govt official at a restaurant, for the NBA to deny their services of basketball games to a state, or state to issue travel bans to other states based off political opinions (denying services)?  i mean denying services based off skin color/religious beliefs is deemed taboo but its totally fine letting politics be a reason seems to be just as damning a reason as well.

If I as a man do not get to decide, then why should I be financially responsible for someone else's decision? 

Or, you know, as a man you could accept that if you perform an act of procreation with a woman that you've already assumed the responsibility for any children that act might produce, rather than assume that as a dude you should get to Free Willy (said the actress to the bishop) whenever you want with no consequences.

ts a novel idea, I know, but it might be a better one than advocating for the removal of something because "men have no choice" for an alternative where men also will have no choice as if that's somehow "better".

YMMV.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hopefully Trump will drop sanctions against Russia, so that we can return to normal trade with Russia during trade war with USA.

Oh noes, that would be a real loss for the US?

I don't know about that, as country of 5.5 million people our trade impact on 60 times larger country will be always minor, but because of USA's sanctions which freeze lots of Russian's foreign assets and put restrictions on what can be traded with Russia, Finland is losing billions of dollars worth of trade and if USA starts to put heavy tarrifs for European products like for example cars it will cut our trade towards USA also with millions if not billions, so I would appreciate if Trump means to actually follow through his world wide trade war that he would lift those sanctions against Russia so that our economy would not take that big of a hit.

Edited by Elerond

Why is Thomas so hated? Anita Hill? Monsanto?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89363-the-us-election-2016-part-viii/?p=1848322

and

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89363-the-us-election-2016-part-viii/?p=1848485

J. Thomas is not a great Justice, but as to his work on the bench, he don't deserve much o' the ire he has received over the years.  can't speak to the anita hill thing.  am getting how some folks believe J. Thomas should never have been confirmed-- is not unfair criticism.  there is arguable a moral component  to having a man sit in judgment over the entire nation... sit in judgement for life. am thinking it is reasonable for those who will be judged to demand the Justices o' the Court be honorable and righteous as well as competent. some will never see J. Thomas as legit or worthy.  am getting it.  however, our issues with J. Thomas is most related to his work as a Justice.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'll say one thing about the court now. We can stop having the "constructionist vs activist" debates. It's activism all around nowadays.

Thomas Sowell

"Or, you know, as a man you could accept that if you perform an act of procreation with a woman that you've already assumed the responsibility for any children that act might produce, rather than assume that as a dude you should get to Free Willy (said the actress to the bishop) whenever you want with no consequences."

Women choose to have sex (barring rape which can complicate things of course), do you think they should haver a right to 'opt out'? Why can they change their minds 'after the fact' but not men?

It's real simple. The man should have the same amount of time to 'opt out' as the woman. So, if they want no part of the child's life they can  refuse it up untilt he time it is legal to have an abortion where he doesn't have to pay any child support but he loses all 'parental rights' as well.. There, everyone gets a choice. It's completelyt equal.

Only a sexist would argue against this if they are pro abortion.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

:lol:  We could do worse!

Thomas Sowell

Do we have a trade surplus with any country?

Yes, although in goods only those surplusses aren't very big, but when you count in services and investments US currently has quite even trade globally, which is why dollar has quite stable course. And if you compare USD's course for example to euro, you will see that last time markets valued euro over USD was 14 years ago, which means that markets need more dollars than they need euros, which means that markets want to buy more things (goods, services, stocks, investments, etc.) from USA than they want from EU, meaning that general money flow towards USA is bigger than it is towards EU. Although countries like China which don't have floating currency but instead tie their currency to USD causing artificial inflation on value of USD somewhat, but it is difficult to estimate how much.