How much of a difference does 2 PL make for a spellcaster? /or sorcerer vs wizard

I wanna play the most ~explosion noises~ magic user possible. Currently I've been using vaporous wizardry + fractured casque for fun times but I wanna reroll cuz of some bugs/better quest continuity choices.

Currently my thought process is something like: the most explody wizard I can get would be an evoker nature godlike right? That's +2 PL for the damage spells. I'll miss some of the spells but tbh I get the most mileage out of evocation, enchantment and illusion anyway. But with a godlike I won't be able to wear the casque which makes vaporous wizardry a liiitle iffy, not irrevocably but I'd need to be more mindful of placement than I currently am and there's something fun about zipping around the battlefield that I'd miss. The most intuitive answer would be, well just drop nature godlike and pick evoker with some other race. But (and this is a silly psychological thing I realize) then I'd lose out on 1 PL and then my brain goes well is 1 PL really worth dropping transmutation and conjuration for? No. And that's how I wound up playing a generalist, again. But I want MAXIMUM 'SPLOSIONS

The other option would be to drop casqueplay and go with nature evoker + druid (fury probably, not optimal but I like the idea of turning into a storm) to make up for the 'lack' of spells I'd otherwise have with vaporous wizardry. Downside of this is that I miss the best wizard spells like withering wind and salvo and that 100% reflection one but maybe with the PL there's enough damage to go around that it doesn't matter? I'd also be able to use Ninaegaegswrgs grimoire more consistently for that nice raw damage beam spell and the paralyzing fireball.

So the three options are:

1. Nature evoker ~ just be more mindful when using vaporous/take concentration boosting items and perks

2. Non-godlike evoker ~ split the diff

3. Sorcerer ~ have plenty of spells, but no top shelf picks

Thoughts? Which'd you go with?

Since Evoker will not be able to cast around half spells from Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry, I would forfeit Evoker and pick No Subclass, and use extra points for passives (very poor selection for Wizards yes) and extra spells for more versatility (let's say 2 per level to have 4 per level with grimoire). Along with this line of thought, I would not multi-class and focus on a powerful and versatile wizard.  

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

It is not documented BUT PL is a separate multiplier when calculating final damage. It increase your basic damage roll instead of added like other damage bonus like Might bonus and sneak attack bonus.

Therefore PL is extremely powerful if your base damage is high, for example the late level wizard spells that has around 80-100 base damage.

A best explanation is Monk's ult Inner Death, if you wonder why it can do over 2000 damage pre 1.1, because PL, Critical damage bonus, Lash bonus are all separate multipliers that make the final number really high.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

There are 2 PL at play. Evoker and Nature Godlike. So answer to the question, how much difference... ?, is: Not too much, especially considering the trade-offs and other means to gain PL in game. To be able to deal appropriate damage type is in my opinion worth more than 2 PL.

2 PL was huge early game for nature godlike wizard because early spells like chillfog were also too high with its base damage so adding 2 PL was elevating chillfog damage to nuke-like levels while being a constant dot. Now with 2PL reduced to 1PL on nature godlikes and base chillfog damage nerfed I wouldn't say its so epic anymore. I'd rather play a race that can wear a helmet to get this mask with illusion PL and terrify spells per rest on it. Even tho it's probably not the best choice either. There are many powerful high level hard hitting spells that could benefit from illusion PL but they are end game spells and by end game it don't matter that much because you'll wipe the screen off with single minoletta salvo anyway (its still broken and makes game trivial af fyi). 

Just roll alchemy and chug ascension pots for extra 6PL ;p derp

It is not documented BUT PL is a separate multiplier when calculating final damage. It increase your basic damage roll instead of added like other damage bonus like Might bonus and sneak attack bonus.

Therefore PL is extremely powerful if your base damage is high, for example the late level wizard spells that has around 80-100 base damage.

A best explanation is Monk's ult Inner Death, if you wonder why it can do over 2000 damage pre 1.1, because PL, Critical damage bonus, Lash bonus are all separate multipliers that make the final number really high.

PL is not a separate multiplier for spell-based or spell-like abilities.

It is a base multiplier for martial abilities. That's why you can do obscene damage with something like Inner Death. For spells, it is treated as an additive bonus like might.

I have a power level mechanics thread here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99409-mechanics-power-level-compilation-thread/

Edited by thelee

PL is not a separate multiplier for spell-based or spell-like abilities.

It is a base multiplier for martial abilities. That's why you can do obscene damage with something like Inner Death. For spells, it is treated as an additive bonus like might.

I have a power level mechanics thread here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99409-mechanics-power-level-compilation-thread/

Hey thelee, so it seems the scrolls are behaved different from spells? I'm a little confused about PL bonus on spell/scroll now.. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102629-scroll-assasinmonk-crazy-dmg/

At the moment, you don't need to be an Evoker or even a single-class Wizard to do great damage with spells. However, after Empower and every good Wizard spell gets nerfed, you will need every PL you can get. Consider building your character with this in mind :)