{Solo Build} "The Lightning Sphinx" - Massive burst DD Marauder

First of here is a video of the build and it in action:

Updated 6/24/18 after playthrough complete (solo).

Name: The Lightning Sphinx - because it jumps, disappears and re-emerges anywhere on the battlefield for devastating strikes and uses lightning weapons like Lord Darryns's Voulge to benefit from Berserker Frenzy + Deltro's Cage Helm synergy 

Class: Barbarian Berzerker and Rogue Assassin Multi

Race: Human (Blooded benefits) OR Pale Elf (extra elemental defense)

Stats unbuffed recommended: 17 Might, 13 Con, 7 dex, 17+1 Int, 18 Perc, 7 Resolve

With Barath blessings (optional) and some class sacrifice talents, it should be no problem to max str and per, have Int at 10 when frenzied and put the rest into con. 

Full List of Abilities at Lvl 20 (Updated)

Actives in Red

Rogue:

-Assassin

-Assassinate

-Sneak Attack

-Backstab

-Escape

-Dirty Fighting

-Gouging Strike (Upgrade from Blinding Strike)

-Persistent Distraction

-Shadowing Beyond

-Deep Wounds

-Devastating Blow (upgrade from Finishing Blow)

-Slippery Mind

-Death Blows

Barbarian:

-Berserker

-Carnage

-Blooded

-Thick Skinned * Can be replaced by Bloodlust if you are confident with you defenses

-One stands Alone

-Bloody SLaughter

-Wild Sprint

-Savage Defiance

-Barbaric Smash (upgrade of Barbaric blow)

-Interrupting Blows

-Blood Thirst

-Spirit Tornado (upgrade of Frenzy)

General:

-Two-Handed Style / Two-Weapon style depending if you are taking on a map with lots of small enemies (Two-Handed) or a boss fight like Nemnok or Ukaizo (Two-Weapon)

Notes: With a lot of Items providing concentration, which is very important, like a certain belt as well as Potion of Spirit Shield, I could use more offensive abiities and perks and not use stuff like Combat Focus perk. Also this allowed me to take Spirit Tornado upgrade of Frenzy (shaken cc) and change Eliminating blow to Devastating Blow for a more potent single target finisher. 

Skills:

Alchemy minimum of 10, Mechanics minimum of 8, Athletics minimum of 6, Arcana minimum of 5

Maxxed Intimidate early game to force talk encounters, History maxxed late game for the special cloak

Drugs:

-Whiteleaf

-Deadeye

These two I used a lot

Scrolls:

-Moonwell

-Shining Beacon

both only need 5 arcana to use but are very good on this or any melee build because moonwell is an excellent heal over time spell which boosts defenses, and shining beacon is an excellent damage over time on enemies in aoe spell which also debuffs their defenses

Potions/Poisons:

-General Healing Potions

-Potion of Spirit Shield!!! - who needs a shield when you have this

-Piercing Strikes (extra penetration)

-any +crit chance potion like Merciless Gaze

-Stone Joint (use causiosly or it will break your game it is too strong at the moment)

Items the build uses:

Head Slot:

Deltro's Cage Helm!!!

-under Frenzy you damage yourself...so if you have a weapon that does lightning damage this thing is really good and it gives you a lightning shock lash. Works very well with Lord Darryn's Voulge

Chest:

Devil of Corac Breastplate - yeah it is standard for this per encounter builds but there is a reason for that

Hands:

Boltcatchers (offensive setup)

Bracer of Greater Deflection (defensive setup)

Burglar's Gloves (When disarming traps)

Rings:

Entonia Signet Ring

Ring of Greater Regeneration

Amulet:

Precognition

Boots:

Bounding Boots

Boots of Stone

Rakhan Field Boots (Endgame)

Belt:

Upright Captain's Belt (provides Concentration in combat)

Cloak

Cloak of Greater Protection

The Gifbearer's Cloth (Endgame)

Food:

I just used Hylea's Bounty and did not rest - that is what I recommend as you want boosted HP as a Barbarian. Anything that boosts HP basically. 

-Sacrifice Durance for more HP

Weapons:

Slot 1 - Lord Darryn's Voulge - Aoe/ mob control weapon

Slot 2 - Mordwyr + Aldris Blade of Captain Crow (Dps single target) both legendary

- Mordwyr or Aldris + Griffin's Blade - since Giffin's Blade does daze on crit it is a good cc wepon to use against say Fanpyrs. 

Strats:

General Attack

1.) Attack with a debilitating strike from stealth

2.)Frenzy

3.)Savage Defiance + (Spirit Shield)

4.) Barbaric Blow 

5.)Improvise from there - stay mobile and dance around the enemies - once their health is low you can spam barbaric blows under savage defiance

Skipping mobs is really easy:

1.) hit sprint

2.) hit shadowing beyond

3.) run anywhere you want

With Consumables there is no problems soloing PotD with Deadly Deafire (Normal version) installed:

Fampyr Cave, no op poisons used just scroll of moonwell + sprit shield potion mainly

Cheers and Enjoy!

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 2

yeah, this build is not going to last in potd if playing solo lol. Just the video demonstration alone showed me it would need serious reworking. 

You just simply aren't tanky enough to do it and you will run out of resources against single target high hp targets.

to test this out, go in a secluded are and summon the guardian of ukaizo so you can see how your build fares against it. open up the console with tilde button ` then type in iroll20s. Then for the console command, its SpawnPrefabAtMouse cre_ukaizo_guardian 

If you are not level 20 yet, you can use this command AddExperienceToLevel 20

If you need items for your build, you go giveitem then tab to fill in the blanks. alternatively you can just go to the wiki page and get the item id. copy paste that

NOTICE: have a duplicate save and do this test in one of those, that way it doesn't screw with your achievements. 

Edited by giftmefood

nice video and yes some potions and poisons with high alchemy are op but they are a necessary tool if you play a melee toon. 

Personally, Guardian of U is not really the hardest fight in PotD upscaled at the moment. I will do a run with a melee rogue/zerker but from my deadly deadfire hardcore run with full party the hardest fights were in no particular order but all more difficult:

-Druids of Bentwood bog on Sayuka

-Lucia Rivan and taking her ship

-The Rotten Lady and her friendz

-Animancer spire top at end of VTC quest

-Killing the queen and her company at the end of RDC questline at top of palace in Nekataka

those five come to mind. yeah but they are optional fights I guess but all present more challenging obstacles to deal with than Ukaizo thanks to multiple dangerous enemies you can't split

nice video and yes some potions and poisons with high alchemy are op but they are a necessary tool if you play a melee toon. 

Personally, Guardian of U is not really the hardest fight in PotD upscaled at the moment. I will do a run with a melee rogue/zerker but from my deadly deadfire hardcore run with full party the hardest fights were in no particular order but all more difficult:

-Killing the queen and her company at the end of RDC questline at top of palace in Nekataka

those five come to mind. yeah but they are optional fights I guess but all present more challenging obstacles to deal with than Ukaizo thanks to multiple dangerous enemies you can't split

yeah any level 10 build can take the boss with maxed out alchemy or arcana. they are basically godmode. To other people, it's fair game but to me i consider them cheese. That doesn't mean it isn't fun. Heck, even the solo potd build I posted uses maxed out arcana to take advantage of avenging storm. 

You don't even need a party for the encounters you've posted. They are just all one meteor show/great maelstrom away from dying + withdraw to keep you alive. Or since you are running an alchemy build, Handmortar + stone joint (it's the most op alchemy potion) then use invisibility potion and wham wait for them to die. 

I do know of a build who can solo the last boss + all the encounters you've listed without any cheese though and that's with level scaling mod from Nexus. So far no one has posted anything like it so that's good! Thinking of posting but I'm afraid it might get too popular and you know how Obsidian likes to nerf popular op stuff. 

Edited by giftmefood

yeah any level 10 build can take the boss with maxed out alchemy or arcana. they are basically godmode. To other people, it's fair game but to me i consider them cheese. That doesn't mean it isn't fun. Heck, even the solo potd build I posted uses maxed out arcana to take advantage of avenging storm. 

You don't even need a party for the encounters you've posted. They are just all one meteor show/great maelstrom away from dying + withdraw to keep you alive. Or since you are running an alchemy build, Handmortar + stone joint (it's the most op alchemy potion) then use invisibility potion and wham wait for them to die. 

I do know of a build who can solo the last boss + all the encounters you've listed without any cheese though and that's with level scaling mod from Nexus. So far no one has posted anything like it so that's good! Thinking of posting but I'm afraid it might get too popular and you know how Obsidian likes to nerf popular op stuff. 

That not true :D I can solo most of them with Cipher/Ranger without Arcana/Achemy/Cheesing

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

That not true :D I can solo most of them with Cipher/Ranger without Arcana/Achemy/Cheesing

I doubt you could. Ranger pets are too squishy. Cipher is not tanky enough either. I'd love for you to show me a vid and prove me wrong though. 

nice video and yes some potions and poisons with high alchemy are op but they are a necessary tool if you play a melee toon.

Personally, Guardian of U is not really the hardest fight in PotD upscaled at the moment. I will do a run with a melee rogue/zerker but from my deadly deadfire hardcore run with full party the hardest fights were in no particular order but all more difficult:

-Killing the queen and her company at the end of RDC questline at top of palace in Nekataka

those five come to mind. yeah but they are optional fights I guess but all present more challenging obstacles to deal with than Ukaizo thanks to multiple dangerous enemies you can't split

The poison only applies once, so handmortar and stonejoint doesn't work in AoE, only on primary target.

• Like 1

nice video and yes some potions and poisons with high alchemy are op but they are a necessary tool if you play a melee toon.

Personally, Guardian of U is not really the hardest fight in PotD upscaled at the moment. I will do a run with a melee rogue/zerker but from my deadly deadfire hardcore run with full party the hardest fights were in no particular order but all more difficult:

-Killing the queen and her company at the end of RDC questline at top of palace in Nekataka

those five come to mind. yeah but they are optional fights I guess but all present more challenging obstacles to deal with than Ukaizo thanks to multiple dangerous enemies you can't split

The poison only applies once, so handmortar and stonejoint doesn't work in AoE, only on primary target.

oh really? damn

Fire Dragon at lvl 12 solo kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEyJyPYMnL8&feature=youtu.be

I was rushing to get the lightning saber I need for the build and realized if you skip Hasango and just go to Ashen Maw you just meet Eothas there....I wonder how this will effect Hosango dialogs. 

Fire Dragon Magran's Teeth No Poison cheese version ... the power of the Voulge! special thanks to Socrates though +20 health per kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2PTeYUKJ8k

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

Are you sure that self-damage from berserker frenzy charges Deltro's helm when you are using lighting weapons? I didn't see any evidence of that in the last video, and I couldn't tell from the first one.

yes it definitely does as long as long as you damage yourself with the Voulge or a lightning lash weapon. that was one of the specific things I tested to see how that helm works with any lightning weapons equipped. It will obviously make create a bigger percentage lash from the voulge if it attacks as lightning - when the enemy has less shock ar than slash ar and your are under frenzy to damage yourself. 

it is a bit situational as such but it still adds good dps to the build when it works. especially in the end with high hit to crit conversion and boltcatcher gloves. 

Edit: this is why I specifically went to that dragon to get this lightning lash saber now:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Aldris_Blade_of_Captain_Crow

Aldris blade of Captain Crow

Because it has a consistent shock lash

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

Attaching to show the lash in this case +133% since I was fighting a bunch of adds with the voulge. In such a situation it builds up quickly. 

As for stealth and frenzy, any action will break stealth, so if you want to get an assassinate hit under frenzy you should start fight, hit frenzy, hit shadowing beyond and then go for the barbaric blow out of stealth, but yes if you do that it does massive damage thanks to assasinate. 

post-211561-0-16211400-1529534942_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that self-damage from berserker frenzy charges Deltro's helm when you are using lighting weapons? I didn't see any evidence of that in the last video, and I couldn't tell from the first one.

yes it definitely does as long as long as you damage yourself with the Voulge or a lightning lash weapon. that was one of the specific things I tested to see how that helm works with any lightning weapons equipped. It will obviously make create a bigger percentage lash from the voulge if it attacks as lightning - when the enemy has less shock ar than slash ar and your are under frenzy to damage yourself. 

it is a bit situational as such but it still adds good dps to the build when it works. especially in the end with high hit to crit conversion and boltcatcher gloves. 

Edit: this is why I specifically went to that dragon to get this lightning lash saber now:

Ok, I think I understand better now. I thought you were referring to the constant Raw damage (2 per second I think) that you get from Berserker frenzy -- I thought you were saying it changed from Raw to other types based on the weapon that you were wielding. But that must not be what you meant, since that number wouldn't be higher if you were hitting larger groups of enemies.

You must mean that you are damaging yourself with weapon hits, and I assume those are Carnage hits you are talking about. So you hit yourself with Carnage when you are Frenzied as a Berserker? I didn't know that.

Have you confirmed this with the saber and not with the Voulge? Because you could be damaging yourself with the Voulge not by its regular attacks but by triggering Static Charge AoEs that hit yourself.

Ok, I think I understand better now. I thought you were referring to the constant Raw damage (2 per second I think) that you get from Berserker frenzy -- I thought you were saying it changed from Raw to other types based on the weapon that you were wielding. But that must not be what you meant, since that number wouldn't be higher if you were hitting larger groups of enemies.

You must mean that you are damaging yourself with weapon hits, and I assume those are Carnage hits you are talking about. So you hit yourself with Carnage when you are Frenzied as a Berserker? I didn't know that.

Have you confirmed this with the saber and not with the Voulge? Because you could be damaging yourself with the Voulge not by its regular attacks but by triggering Static Charge AoEs that hit yourself.

Yeah looks like only the Voulge is triggering the buff. Can't get it to work on the saber unfortunately :(

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

Not related to topic comment 

I doubt you could. Ranger pets are too squishy. Cipher is not tanky enough either. I'd love for you to show me a vid and prove me wrong though.

There we go PotD / Upscaled / Deadly Deadfire / No Alchemy / No Arcana / No Invise - Ghost Heart + Ascendant L20 | Admiral banquette (we can use any food with recovery/action speed) + Adra glow + Constantine 

https://youtu.be/qzXU5hRqklQ

I assume I can do that fight without food and rest bonuses and may be without potions  :D

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

There we go PotD / Upscaled / Deadly Deadfire / No Alchemy / No Arcana / No Invise - Ghost Heart + Ascendant L20 | Admiral banquette (we can use any food with recovery/action speed) + Adra glow + Constantine 

https://youtu.be/qzXU5hRqklQ

I assume I can do that fight without food and rest bonuses and may be without potions  :D

That's easy. It's a known fact ciphers can solo mobs easy due to their charm spell. And as I see already in your video, your pet is not lasting long + you are quite squishy. You will have troubles with single high hp high damage enemies like Guardian of Ukaizo. 

Sorry  1TTFFSSE for this discussion in your build topic

That's easy. It's a known fact ciphers can solo mobs easy due to their charm spell. And as I see already in your video, your pet is not lasting long + you are quite squishy. You will have troubles with single high hp high damage enemies like Guardian of Ukaizo. 

Nope man

your pet is not lasting long 

I can summon him x12-x15 times. It immune to Engaged, and I used it only to cast cipher spells

> single high hp high damage enemies like Guardian of Ukaizo. 

Do you see my reflexes ? :D They higher than in your build ? 
Do you know how much damage can do disintegration ?   
Do you know something about Pain Link ?
Do you know how much penetration I can achieve with Ectopsychic Echo ?
Do you know how much accuracy I can stack ? 

I can upload video with Guardian of Ukaizo, little bit late. (I can't upload Fampyr fights with Deadly Deadfire, but look on my channel there exist video with PotD solo. on DD they will have +6 to all stats and +30%HP, nothing more). I can do near any fight without charm

Edited by mant2si

Sorry  1TTFFSSE for this discussion in your build topic

> That's easy. It's a known fact ciphers can solo mobs easy due to their charm spell. And as I see already in your video, your pet is not lasting long + you are quite squishy. You will have troubles with single high hp high damage enemies like Guardian of Ukaizo. 

Nope man

> your pet is not lasting long 

I can summon him x12-x15 times. It immune to Engaged, and I used it only to cast cipher spells

> single high hp high damage enemies like Guardian of Ukaizo. 

Do you see my reflexes ? :D They higher than in your build ? 

Do you know how much damage can do disintegration ?   

Do you know something about Pain Link ?

Do you know how much penetration I can achieve with Ectopsychic Echo ?

Do you know how much accuracy I can stack ? 

I can upload video with Guardian of Ukaizo, little bit late. (I can't upload Fampyr fights with Deadly Deadfire, but look on my channel there exist video with PotD solo. on DD they will have +6 to all stats and +30%HP, nothing more). I can do near any fight without charm

I'll be amazed if you post a battle with the Guardian of Ukaizo :) 

Make sure you show it is on POTD, show your stats, show the boss's stats. I can't wait to see that video! :D