I've done that about two times, my religion is wasn't high enough either time so I don't know what that unlocks but my character just saw an eyeless face that smiles and then wakes up with the camp gone as if it's never been there. No one died and I got that camping "good food, better company" or whatever. I dispersed the souls as Wael suggested. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Wael-face, 'Wael?' question and then blacked out and woke up fine.(more than fine, we had the 'good food, good friends/company' buff) If anything Wael seemed amused at the whole thing, even though just earlier he was annoyed that I'd seemed to have lost my sense of wonder compared to when I buried the scroll in POE1. But then again that character was a Priest of Berath, he tended to respect the God's authority in small favors, but only Berath for big stuff so he'd actually always been pretty cordial to the gods by then. (Later he screamed at them, literally the first of only 2 passionate responses he gave all game, to shut up.)

Edited by Rheios

• 3 weeks later...

That's weird, when my moon godlike watcher pulled back the hood and identified Wael, all the people disappeared but nobody died?

If you're a priest of wael or did something extra nice for him last game, maybe it doesn't penalize you.

Another possibility is Wael is the default when you don't have a crew member that the game deems worth killing off.

I think that might be the case. I've always selected the Bury Wael's Scroll option and have never had a crewmate die.

• Like 1

*Hairy Orlan Wizard who did Helya shenanigans in the first game looks under the hood.

*Hairy Orlan Wizard sees a pale figure with black beads for eyes and an empty cavity for nose.

*Hairy Orlan Wizard: 'Alright... Better go to sleep.'

*Goes to sleep.

*In the morning everything is back to normal and that group is gone, though I was expecting something else to happen.

I think my encounter went something like this. 

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Returned the scroll to the questgiver, accepted Hylea's assistance and sent the souls to the Hollowborn. When I had Eliam in the crew, he died (reloaded and didn't bother Wael on that run). When I didn't (another character), I saw the eyeless face under the hood. Never had Caegr (?) in the crew.

Not sure, what determines the outcome.