Such a creepy event. Go the Black Isles (woo, nostalgia!) and head to the Shadowed Veil encounter.

There's a few ways this plays out, but wondered if anyone had managed to do the full encounter without losing a crew member in the cutscene when choosing option c.

You can:

a) Murderise the camp.

b) Eat with them, be friendly and rest

c) THE SPOOPY OPTION: When chilling with the NPCs, there's this hooded character who always stands away from the party. When you unveil his face, you see a crew member. Now, I THINK that the crew member is dependent on your race and then a corresponding crew member dies e.g. a nature Godlike kills Ralia Blackblosson, and I've see reports of Handsome Eliam dying to death godlike players.

My guess is that it's something to do with Wael is this is a total, but spooky, mystery! What are your thoughts?

Edited by Ashen Rohk

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I could be wrong, but I unhooded the person and it was Wael; however, I dispersed the souls at the end of Pillars 1.  It could be that the shrines have different outcomes depending on who you favored.

Always Wael for me too. Well, since I learned about the no rest method I just approach the camp and leave it again, but always been Wael when I've checked.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

My priest of Wael actually recognized his god under the hood.

Still rather creepy. Are those Hand Occult members hanging with Wael? And even if they are... what are they doing on that island? Guarding the temple? Where are they vanishing to? Why are there way more tents than people? Questions, questions...

*X-Files music starts playing*

• Like 3

My Watcher was an orlan druid from the Ixamitl Plains.  When I looked under the hood it was Handsome Eliam, which was especially horrifying after trying to save him from an awful life earlier.  The whole thing came off like you were punished for too much curiosity, but that's only me trying to read into it.  It was a very creepy, cool, weird encounter.

I'm kind of curious if the characters you meet at the camp otherwise are at all meaningful/from something, or if they're just illusions.  E.g. people that died during the cataclysm a long time before.

Brilliant encounter, I adored it. Especially since you have another camp-sharing encounter with a group of normal adventurers, and I've met those guys shortly before I had this one, so imagine my surprise. 

I was playing Pale Elf Ranger/Rogue, had souls given to children with Hylea, and had Handsome Eliam "die", although when checking ship roster he was alive and well. Didn't think it was Wael, but now that people are mentioning it, it makes sense. I don't think the crew member is supposed to die for real. Wael is the keeper of mysteries, not a murderer. It looks like it was supposed to be more of a trick to spook you from showing too much curiosity. After all curiosity killed the cat :)

I've no idea how Wael choses who is to die, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Yeah, curiosity killed the cat was the kind of vibe I got from it.  Not malicious.  Though based on how cavalier the gods are about kith lives, I wouldn't be surprised that he'd go that far to do it.

The whole thing comes off as very Wael and it's on the same island as a Wael ruin that you can get something from, so I think that makes sense.  Also, Wael can actually show up, so there you go.

• Like 1

Priests of Wael get to ask the hooded figure "Wael?", to what it answers "Of course not", so yeah, it's probably Wael. :biggrin: Makes sense, since there's its temple on the same island and priests notice that the place feels "almost holy"

Yeah, curiosity killed the cat was the kind of vibe I got from it.  Not malicious.  Though based on how cavalier the gods are about kith lives, I wouldn't be surprised that he'd go that far to do it.

The whole thing comes off as very Wael and it's on the same island as a Wael ruin that you can get something from, so I think that makes sense.  Also, Wael can actually show up, so there you go.

i figured it was just a punishment for being rude, as gods don't typically like that. 

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

i figured it was just a punishment for being rude, as gods don't typically like that. 

Oh! I could see that too. I went with the first conclusion because of Wael's general interest in making the mystery itself and not actually giving away an answer.

I killed those idiots because they wouldn't answer a simple question. After seeing this thread I tried another way and ended up losing Caergr (pale elf cook/deckhand). I'm playing as a wood elf (although I pretend to be a human, I wanted to have dexterity 20).

Edit: I tried to sneak on them and it was a success. But it didn't work.

You can steal some reptilian eyes from them.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I be spooked.

Pale Elf Paladin, did Berath's bidding in PoE1, but helped Wael with the scroll quest. I peered under the hood, and saw Handsome Eliam under there, and got the message that he had been killed. I checked after and it was not fake news - he really was gone from the ship. :o

post-105884-0-88616200-1530819810_thumb.png

• Like 1

I killed those idiots because they wouldn't answer a simple question. After seeing this thread I tried another way and ended up losing Caergr (pale elf cook/deckhand). I'm playing as a wood elf (although I pretend to be a human, I wanted to have dexterity 20).

Edit: I tried to sneak on them and it was a success. But it didn't work.

You can steal some reptilian eyes from them.

I found Caergr under the hood as well. My character is an Wood Elf too and I went with Berath's Wheel for the souls in PoE 1, if that matters.

Also it told me Caergr died, and when looking at the ship, he was indeed gone. I had him in the resting spots on my ship.

After that I went back to a save and killed the camp.

• Like 1

I found Caergr under the hood as well. My character is an Wood Elf too and I went with Berath's Wheel for the souls in PoE 1, if that matters.

Also it told me Caergr died, and when looking at the ship, he was indeed gone. I had him in the resting spots on my ship.

I chose Berath's wheel too.

After that I went back to a save and killed the camp.

Well done.
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

That's weird, when my moon godlike watcher pulled back the hood and identified Wael, all the people disappeared but nobody died?

If you're a priest of wael or did something extra nice for him last game, maybe it doesn't penalize you.

Another possibility is Wael is the default when you don't have a crew member that the game deems worth killing off.

• Like 2

Just did this encounter and wanted to add my experience with it. My Watcher ended up seeing what I assume was Wael under the hood, it was a grey eyeless face, when she looked. I also wanted to note that she does not have any of the crew members others have reported being killed on her ship.  So, maybe it is based a bit on who is a member of your crew.  Or maybe it's completely random. Only Wael knows I suppose.  ;)

• Like 1

Just did this encounter and wanted to add my experience with it. My Watcher ended up seeing what I assume was Wael under the hood, it was a grey eyeless face, when she looked. I also wanted to note that she does not have any of the crew members others have reported being killed on her ship.  So, maybe it is based a bit on who is a member of your crew.  Or

maybe it's completely random. Only Wael knows I suppose.  ;)

What character were you playing (class, race, did you do what Wael asked in PoE1)?

sign.jpg

My Watcher is a pale elf mindstalker (no subclasses) from the White that Wends.  She hid the scroll during Wael's quest in Poe1, but did not follow his advice for the hollowborn souls. Instead, she sent them to strengthen the Dyrwood. 

My Watcher is a pale elf mindstalker (no subclasses) from the White that Wends.  She hid the scroll during Wael's quest in Poe1, but did not follow his advice for the hollowborn souls. Instead, she sent them to strengthen the Dyrwood. 

So no clue why Wael appears to some people and not to others. Maybe he throws a dice.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I don't believe that it's a religion skill check (unless maybe a party one) since my Watcher only has maybe a 1 or 2 in religion. She's very dependent on her companions knowledge of religion. 

About the possibility that the hooded figure is a Wael godlike, that's actually a really cool idea. I know in the godlike thread on here there was talk about his godlike having a bunch of eyes, but isn't he also called the eyeless face?  Maybe that is one of his godlikes and they get bonuses to illusions or something. On a side note, is there actually any dialogue indicating the companions see the hooded figure or is it only ever the Watcher?