Paladins Lay on Hands heal is to slow. Not very useful on POTD

I thought the whole idea of engagement slots, was that if more than your number of engagement slots are attacking you - this caused flank. Thank you for letting me know this is wrong. That does make Shieldbearer a bit weaker than I thought though. So engagement slots are only for locking down enemies with an attack of opportunity / disengagement attack? Still... white flames feels wasted with perception as a dump stats. Unless using the miss to graze you mentioned. What's your opinion Boeroer? For a pure support/healer herald would you ever take goldpact or white flames over shieldbearer?

21 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Maybe it was different n PoE, I don't realla remember

think this was a poe1 specific behavior, but functionally it wasn't terribly different from now because everyone had +1 engagement by default and a 1-engagement limit by default, so it was rare to come across enemies that needed more than two normal allies to flank.

(edit: also unlike deadfire, there really wasn't a mechanism by which characters lost engagement, so pretty much any ally in any situation could suffice so long as they had a melee weapon)

Edited by thelee

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros226 said:

I thought the whole idea of engagement slots, was that if more than your number of engagement slots are attacking you - this caused flank.

engagement here is more so that certain characters can prevent other characters from running away. it's meant to limit kiting/mobility and give tanks/melee-ers battlefield control options. flanking is an orthogonal mechanism.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thelee said:

engagement here is more so that certain characters can prevent other characters from running away. it's meant to limit kiting/mobility and give tanks/melee-ers battlefield control options. flanking is an orthogonal mechanism.

Gotcha, cheers :)

I already asked Boer, but could you also share your opinion on best subclass for a pure healing/support herald which dumps the perception stat? Darcozzi only gives 4DR against cold I think, and a small fire retaliation. It's not that strong but it lasts a very long time. Goldpact doesn't do anything for allies, but does help keep you alive. White flame needs to hit, not really compatible with perception dumping. I've tried looking at it from many angles, but it just seems to me that from a brute efficiency min/maxing standpoint. An 8 second death shield would be superior for a TC run. I was actually hoping someone would disagree for a change of perspective.

38 minutes ago, Ouroboros226 said:

Gotcha, cheers :)

I already asked Boer, but could you also share your opinion on best subclass for a pure healing/support herald which dumps the perception stat? Darcozzi only gives 4DR against cold I think, and a small fire retaliation. It's not that strong but it lasts a very long time. Goldpact doesn't do anything for allies, but does help keep you alive. White flame needs to hit, not really compatible with perception dumping. I've tried looking at it from many angles, but it just seems to me that from a brute efficiency min/maxing standpoint. An 8 second death shield would be superior for a TC run. I was actually hoping someone would disagree for a change of perspective.

yeah no, i agree with your assessment. white flames is really nice dual-wielded but if you are dumping perception then shieldbearer is the way to go.

• Like 1

Shieldbearer is good. Besides the healing of Lay in Hands you also prevent k.o. - that's nice. +1 Engagement is good if you want to tank - especially if you don't multiclass with Fighter, Stalker or Barbarian who could bring more engagement. Paladin's don't have engagement abilities so the auto+1 of Shieldbearer is nice.  

Besides the "don't leave or I'll hit you" effect engagement also automatically stops movement and clears the original command where to move. Against enemies than run on AI this often means they abandon reaching the backline because their movement command was cleared and they had to stop. You can turn that off in the game options but I wouldn't recommend that. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods