Paladins Lay on Hands heal is to slow. Not very useful on POTD

Once I notice one of my party members is taking damage and then start the casting process for Lay on hands Im finding that alot of the time they are dead before the casting time has finished, Im having this issue on POTD anyway.

Anyone else having this problem?

Pain in the butt hey cause im finding the ability almost completely useless because of this

I've been playing PotD mass paladin parties over and over and over and over and I'm not noticing this. The casting time is very short. Your problem is probably recovery from whatever the paladin used before you told them to use LoH, but that has nothing to do with LoH.

For comparison: When you tell your character to do something, you'll see three things over their head. The health bar, an icon representing their next action and a depleting beige bar beneath the health bar. The depleting beige bar is recovery. Cast time is the swirl inside the icon and begins when recovery is finished. LoH takes half a second to cast and you should notice the icon swirling swiftly.

While your character is in recovery the only thing they'll really do is move. Auto attack a crippled xaurip or cast the one Lay on Hands to save all of Eora? Need to wait just as long for recovery before you can start, either way.

Also why mass paladins is great. Someone urgently needs a heal? Look not for the paladin with the most bonus healing, upgraded Lay on Hands or an order bonus to it. Look only for the paladin closest to recovering ;)

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

That's why having a dual wielding setup with speed bonuses is better for a paladin who wants to heal quickly. If you like to auto-attack stuff with a two hander in heavy armor it will take like 5 seconds until you can cast LoH.

In PoE you could use Quick Switch to skip that recovery - doesn't work anymore with Deadfire.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I've been playing PotD mass paladin parties over and over and over and over and I'm not noticing this. The casting time is very short. Your problem is probably recovery from whatever the paladin used before you told them to use LoH, but that has nothing to do with LoH.

For comparison: When you tell your character to do something, you'll see three things over their head. The health bar, an icon representing their next action and a depleting beige bar beneath the health bar. The depleting beige bar is recovery. Cast time is the swirl inside the icon and begins when recovery is finished. LoH takes half a second to cast and you should notice the icon swirling swiftly.

While your character is in recovery the only thing they'll really do is move. Auto attack a crippled xaurip or cast the one Lay on Hands to save all of Eora? Need to wait just as long for recovery before you can start, either way.

Also why mass paladins is great. Someone urgently needs a heal? Look not for the paladin with the most bonus healing, upgraded Lay on Hands or an order bonus to it. Look only for the paladin closest to recovering ;)

yeah right, 

Im using Pallagina, plate armour, tower shield and a warhamer

Im honeslty not having much luck with LOH hey

I havent played deadfire alot yet so still getting use to it, maybe this is the problem

played hundreds hour pillars 1 though

any tips for tanking guys? I have eder and Pallagina and they are getting reemed on POTD

That's why having a dual wielding setup with speed bonuses is better for a paladin who wants to heal quickly. If you like to auto-attack stuff with a two hander in heavy armor it will take like 5 seconds until you can cast LoH.

In PoE you could use Quick Switch to skip that recovery - doesn't work anymore with Deadfire.

Im finding i need the shield on POTD,

Its my first POTD playthrough and im having survivability issues

It's the cheapest and one of most effective heals in the game, especially upgraded or with the right kit.

Although Pallegina's stats are not great. But if you're having trouble with it, your character is either stacked with heavy equipment and weapons, or you're controlling battle wrong. Try casting it before character gets hit, interrupting enemy with something like Thrust of Tattered Veils or simply skipping an attack or two on your tank healer so character is always recovered and is ready.

Edited by Shadenuat

Well it's basically about stacking armor, deflection & Robust inspiration (upgraded lay on hands, cipher's pain block, and Druid just can mass cast it). But on PoTD sometimes you want extra heals, or should activate heals before getting hit. You can also use autoheals, like combining upgraded armor aura from paladin with song from chanter, and then your fighter has his own regen and at that point most enemies wouldn't be able do much to your party. Do not skip on any armor buffs. Your mage should press Spirit shield at the beginning of every combat.

You will find it easier once you get some good armor, like exceptional plate or superb+ armor. Just one point of armor can mean full damage or they're just glancing you. Crits will overpen you though, which is why you need deflection. That's because on PoTD you can meet enemies who will roll like +50 chance to hit and have exceptional weapons/claws/tails themselves, meaning your armor is paper for them.

Don't pick armor with low Pierce resist. The deadliest and most common enemies with ranged weapons do pierce damage, so most of the armor in the game with low pierce resistance is less attractive. Other common ranged damage is slash, so stick to chainmail, maybe breastplate, leather & plate. Crush damage just doesn't seem as common in the game. First thing I do on PoTD is give everyone including mages fine+ chainmail, breastplates & exceptional+ leather.

You can buy or simply take some best armors. Make sure you buy both legendary armors in Neketaka, you'll know them once you see them, and they're some of the best in the game.

And generally ignore bonus hitpoints (although on low level, eating bread for +15 hp is a good idea). They matter little when it comes to survivability. You want things, items and abilities, that give deflection, extra armor, heal procs, things with stacking -% to all damage taken, etc. Anyone who played healer in MMO knows it's a lot easier when you can heal regular intervals of small amount of damage, compared to healing spikes in damage, and POE is similar, and it's heals are very powerful.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

It's very very powerful - especially with bonuses like Greater LH that provides healing over time, and/or Elcga bonus that means your target cannot be killed for a few seconds while they heal back up. It's a lifesaver on POTD. It does sound like your issues stem from elsewhere, having to do with how much you're being hammered.

• Like 1

i hope obsidian would buff the 2H sometime later... hopefully not the other way round (nerf DW). i kinda love DW at the moment.. obsidian shd buff weaker stuff instead of nerf better ones.

Uh, no. They should buff weak stuff when that brings everything on parity relative to enemy strengths, items, etc., and they should nerf strong stuff when that makes more sense. I don't know which would make more sense here, but 2H definitely needs to be a more viable option either way.

i hope obsidian would buff the 2H sometime later... hopefully not the other way round (nerf DW). i kinda love DW at the moment.. obsidian shd buff weaker stuff instead of nerf better ones.

2H would be more effective and more inline with PoE if they had 2 higher pen across the board, reduce fast weapons pen by 1 as well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2018 at 9:03 AM, antman45454 said:

Once I notice one of my party members is taking damage and then start the casting process for Lay on hands Im finding that alot of the time they are dead before the casting time has finished, Im having this issue on POTD anyway.

Anyone else having this problem?

Pain in the butt hey cause im finding the ability almost completely useless because of this

Paladin Lay on hands or the upgraded version do not work on PS4, it don't heal but if upgraded it give the buff, Same problem with the gloves which have this ability enchantment...
I really hope they will fix it soon (because a paladin who can't heal is not a paladin) with all the other problems we notified...
Did it work on PC ?

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

20 minutes ago, fced said:

Paladin Lay on hands or the upgraded version do not work on PS4, it don't heal but if upgraded it give the buff, Same problem with the gloves which have this ability enchantment...
I really hope they will fix it soon (because a paladin who can't heal is not a paladin) with all the other problems we notified...
Did it work on PC ?

yes, lay on hands works on PC, and not only that, it makes the paladin one of the better healers (i would put it better than priest) because of how efficiently you can spam it. if it doesn't work on PS4 that would be a major major bug.

are you absolutely sure you're not seeing your health come back? you should get some amount instantly the moment lay on hands resolves, and then the same amount every 3 seconds after. this seems like it would be an exceptionally weird platform-specific bug if it doesn't heal.

Nothing and i checked the battle log, it is this way i notified the secondary buff was applied, but not the heal... I remember on POE Lay on Hands was very handy... Because of this i had to choose the healing aura...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

9 minutes ago, fced said:

Nothing and i checked the battle log, it is this way i notified the secondary buff was applied, but not the heal... I remember on POE Lay on Hands was very handy... Because of this i had to choose the healing aura...

what do you see in the combat log when you use lay on hands? can you pause and take a picture/screenshot?

23 hours ago, thelee said:

what do you see in the combat log when you use lay on hands? can you pause and take a picture/screenshot?

Nothing, i already resetted Palegina, because Lay on hands was not working (i will reset her again when Lay on hands will be fixed), not healing, i will try with the gloves and tell you the results.. but as i said there is nothing, no heal, the only thing i see is there is one of the upgrade which increase resolve, only the buff work, not the heal...

Edited by fced
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Ouroboros226 said:

Is the 4.0 second "Allies can't die" timer of a Shieldbearer's lay on hands, prolonged by int?

Yes, it is. It's basically Barring Death's Door with another name.
Say hello Monk/Shieldbearer with +10 INT, eh? ;) 

It can also be prolonged with Salvation of Time and Wall of Draining (by the guy who gets the effect).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Boeroer said:

Yes, it is. It's basically Barring Death's Door with another name.
Say hello Monk/Shieldbearer with +10 INT, eh? ;) 

It can also be prolonged with Salvation of Time and Wall of Draining (by the guy who gets the effect).

Very nice! Well. Shieldbearer it is. +1 enemy needed to flank you with the extra engagement AND death's door 8s, yes please. I don't really see how any other paladin subclass can be better as a support healer then. As you basically get one strong defensive ability for your primary heal AND a strong defensive bonus for your character itself.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros226 said:

+1 enemy needed to flank you with the extra engagement

I read that repeatedly but it's not correct. The amount of engagment slots you have doesn't change how many enemies are needed to flank you. Maybe it was different in PoE, I don't really remember - but two enemies at (mostly) opposing sites are always enough to flank anybody (unless there's One Stands Alone or Slippers of the Assassin or something like that involved that specifially changes how many enemies are needed).

Look here at my dude Edér who has 8 engagement slots in this situation (Kapana Taga +2, Shield +1, Guardian Stance +3, Blackened Plate Helmet +1 and Reckless Brigandine +1) but still gets flanked from two dummies (who don't even have engagement):
still_flanked_with_tons_of_engagement.pn

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1