Apologies if this topic has been posted elsewhere, but I have searched and failed to find anything, but is there an option or console command to hide headgear? I've tried the console command from the original game but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

Apologies if this topic has been posted elsewhere, but I have searched and failed to find anything, but is there an option or console command to hide headgear? I've tried the console command from the original game but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

You looked too hard, man. It's right by the headgear slot! You do it person by person.

• Like 4

Thanks.

and you can also hide the mantle or your pet in the same way

Seriously?  Why not just take off the hat?

(It's an honest question.)

Because the hat has bonus stats?

Wait... you mean..?.. nah... 

Do you mean —KEEP the bonus stats afforded only by wearing (possibly garish, and uncomfortable) equipment that is worth wearing for the bonus it provides—but not wear it? That kind of thing? Like expecting to enjoy the protection or benefit, and somehow avoid the inconvenience, or silly appearance of it?  Ah, I bet some people wish they could do that with shoes; shoes that look amazing but hurt like hell.  :p To enjoy the envy of others, without suffering the cost of it.  

It's the old 'Have one's cake and eat it too'.   It's a servile shame that some developers allow that kind of thing.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

It's stupid is what it is. Just wear whatever hat you want, and if you don't want a hat then don't wear one. Most of the bonuses are tiny anyway. If you find that battles are harder because you don't want to wear an ugly hat then lower the difficulty

• Like 1

Seriously?  Why not just take off the hat?

(It's an honest question.)

Because the hat has bonus stats?

Wait... you mean..?.. nah... 

Do you mean —KEEP the bonus stats afforded only by wearing (possibly garish, and uncomfortable) equipment that is worth wearing for the bonus it provides—but not wear it? That kind of thing? Like expecting to enjoy the protection or benefit, and somehow avoid the inconvenience, or silly appearance of it?  Ah, I bet some people wish they could do that with shoes; shoes that look amazing but hurt like hell.  :p To enjoy the envy of others, without suffering the cost of it.  

It's the old 'Have one's cake and eat it too'.   It's a servile shame that some developers allow that kind of thing.

What's with people in this forum acting like there's some kind of moral superiority involved in preference in video games?

Chill out, man. It's harmless. Let them hide the hat they don't like and get the bonuses. I've done it before just because something about the hat made me take a second longer to see who I'm looking at in a fight without pausing.

• Like 6

What's with people in this forum acting like there's some kind of moral superiority involved in preference in video games?

Chill out, man. It's harmless. Let them hide the hat they don't like and get the bonuses. I've done it before just because something about the hat made me take a second longer to see who I'm looking at in a fight without pausing.

It fosters a nasty precedent that I suspect pours over into real life eventually. It is that it even occurs to the person to expect such a thing. To rationalize having —even full plated armor protection— while preferring to wear a robe (or even nothing at all).  :lol:   

I'm fine with a hide the helmet button being in any game, but ~IMO~ if used, the PC should be vulnerable to headshots, and critical hits, because they are not wearing the helmet.

Edited by Gizmo

It fosters a nasty precedent that I suspect pours over into real life eventually. It is that it even occurs to the person to expect such a thing. To rationalize having —even full plated armor protection— while preferring to wear a robe (or even nothing at all).  :lol:   

I'm fine with a hide the helmet button being in any game, but ~IMO~ if used, the PC should be vulnerable to headshots, and critical hits, because they are not wearing the helmet.

Not totally agree, in all modern games the customization of appearance are a 'must' feature.

But play the whole game without see those cosmetic details it's just a pity.. so IMO the current setting have nothing of wrong.

You can play as you like just ignore this feature  manually wielding/removing the helmet/mantle/pet

Edited by kilay
  • Like 2

Yes, people expect to customise their appearance, but there's no reason that shouldn't work with the game mechanics. If a hat gave you +4 Might but -10 accuracy you might think twice about wearing it; same if it gives you +4 Might but is ugly.

And if people want to customise their appearance without it affecting their combat performance, there's already a game mode for that: "Relaxed" difficulty

• Like 1

i can't understand why someone take care of the style of play of other players.

What's the purpose? Nerf also the good features to have a global dislike of the game?

As i already stated  all are free to ignore the button and remove the item manually, what's the matter?

• Like 4

I'm sure that in real life, when I am getting into sword fights with my mind magic while reading people's souls, I will be able to understand if I am wearing a helmet or not.

There's no need to rationalize it because it doesn't matter. None of it matters! It's a game! Games are for fun and play. Being able to hide a hat is harmless.

• Like 3

I’ve never seen consumers so deadset on being anti-consumer. Especially with a feature that can be completely ignored and doesn’t affect them in any way...

Why wouldn’t you want an option to hide your helmet when it’s purely up to you whether you want to do it or not. It’s not dark souls...

• Like 5

Wow. Some people are really hardcore. As though the way a game is played was a metaphor to how life is lived. Much impressed. Lots hardcore.

Except not really. Games are for recreation, guys. You're way too serious about them.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Developers should make some ugliest helmets possible with super strong stats and remove button to hide them to troll players.

Not to troll players; to  imply that the (in-game) creators of those items made them to be very obvious and non secret of their effects... or because it was the style of the past age, or even because the creator was a bit of a madman, etc...    These are strange and unusual items.

**It is not a problem to have a magical helmet be —magically invisible, as one of its features; but it should be one of its features—not a UI preference.

What's the purpose? Nerf also the good features to have a global dislike of the game?

As i already stated  all are free to ignore the button and remove the item manually, what's the matter?

One such purpose is that if let pass uncommented, it might detrimentally influence popular game design—and that affects everyone's experience (for both single and multiplayer). 

I'm sure that in real life, when I am getting into sword fights with my mind magic while reading people's souls, I will be able to understand if I am wearing a helmet or not.

That's a derisive take on it. In context it actually meant developing a similar opinion about others, and in dealing with conventional situations; and a lack of coping with things when they are beyond one's control—or perhaps even over exercising control when one has it.

Case in point:

Edited by Gizmo

One such purpose is that if let pass uncommented, it might detrimentally influence popular game design—and that affects everyone's experience (for both single and multiplayer).

What the hell are you talking? So in your opinion will this thread  affect future game designs?

Come on, we are talking of nothing and no-one take care of that.

And again Who care of that in future games? Just ignore those button (in any game you can ignore them)

Imo we have talked enough about that and the OP question has been already answered

Edited by kilay
  • Like 1

So in your opinion will this thread  affect future game designs?

Come on, we are talking of nothing and no-one take care of that.

And again Who care of that in future games? 

Yeah... That's how you can get stuck with a FO3 from a masterpiece like Fallout.  banghead.gif

(But I agree, the topic's been asked & answered.)

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

Dude you would hate most modern mmo's.  I have seen some that will let you mod your armor to any appearance you want, as in full plate that looks like a robe.  I know of one that even makes every armor slot toggleable, as in, you could be in full gear but look like you are wearing nothing but a speedo.

• Like 2

Dude you would hate most modern mmo's.  I have seen some that will let you mod your armor to any appearance you want, as in full plate that looks like a robe.  I know of one that even makes every armor slot toggleable, as in, you could be in full gear but look like you are wearing nothing but a speedo.

It behooves the seller to not care—so long as they get the subscription fee every month.

Aside: Would you consider that MMO to have a relatively toxic environment / player attitude, or the opposite?

Edited by Gizmo

Developers should make some ugliest helmets possible with super strong stats and remove button to hide them to troll players.

Not to troll players; to  imply that the (in-game) creators of those items made them to be very obvious and non secret of their effects... or because it was the style of the past age, or even because the creator was a bit of a madman, etc...    These are strange and unusual items.

**It is not a problem to have a magical helmet be —magically invisible, as one of its features; but it should be one of its features—not a UI preference.

That's a derisive take on it. In context it actually meant developing a similar opinion about others, and in dealing with conventional situations; and a lack of coping with things when they are beyond one's control—or perhaps even over exercising control when one has it.

Case in point:

You're not my mother trying to instill in me some sort of moral, we are people on the internet looking at a forum for a video game. It's perfectly reasonable to want to be able to hide a hat. It's a fairly normal thing to do in games. Many games have hat hiding. Including THIS game! And you don't have to use it at all. It does not affect you in any way if you don't hide any hats.

You're trying to control how other people play a video game for a weird moral reason that doesn't make sense, and your example is a spoiled rich kid who has probably never played a video game in which you can hide a hat. I don't understand why you care so much.

PS: MMOs aren't toxic because you can dress up paper dolls. They are toxic because it's a lot of people put together with limited ability to control toxicity.

Edited by Midnight Voyager
  • Like 2

You're not my mother trying to instill in me some sort of moral, we are people on the internet looking at a forum for a video game.

Of course I'm not.

It's perfectly reasonable to want to be able to hide a hat.

I don't think so; other than to take it off. 

*On a technical point it might even be an exploit that allows them to store it outside of inventory.  :lol: 

It's a fairly normal thing to do in games.

That's the problem I mentioned above.

You're trying to control how other people play a video game for a weird moral reason that doesn't make sense,

I don't care how other people play their games, I care how the game are designed (to suit, so to speak), and that can be influenced by how other people play their games.

...and your example is a spoiled rich kid who has probably never played a video game in which you can hide a hat. I don't understand why you care so much.

Since when does an exampled parallel have to match something verbatim, in order to impart the gist of the concept? The salient point was a lack of coping mechanism.

PS: MMOs aren't toxic because you can dress up paper dolls. They are toxic because it's a lot of people put together with limited ability to control toxicity.

I am not convinced. I believe that it is at least in part, a symptom of fostering empowerment fantasy along with the ability to refuse or refute the imposed reality if they don't like it—albeit only in the game.

I do see it as a kind of cheating to brazenly accept the benefits of [worn] equipment (in this case) without enduring the associated/or imposed cost of wearing it——which includes having to look at it, and could even be that it makes the PC look ridiculous (by design). The point being that if one chooses not to accept the associated cost of a thing, then one should not be allowed to accept the benefits of it; and that applies beyond playing video games. 

(IE. if one chooses to wear a "Shimmering Dunce Hat of Invulnerability", then one should not get to hide that fact—not even from themselves, and yet remain invulnerable by it.)

**And this is the end of my posts on this...(because more would just be reiterating it.)

—But someone can make a dedicated thread topic, and invite continuation.  :devil:

Edited by Gizmo

You're not my mother trying to instill in me some sort of moral, we are people on the internet looking at a forum for a video game.

Of course I'm not.

It's perfectly reasonable to want to be able to hide a hat.

I don't think so; other than to take it off. 

*On a technical point it might even be an exploit that allows them to store it outside of inventory.  :lol: 

It's a fairly normal thing to do in games.

That's the problem I mentioned above.

You're trying to control how other people play a video game for a weird moral reason that doesn't make sense,

I don't care how other people play their games, I care how the game are designed (to suit, so to speak), and that can be influenced by how other people play their games.

...and your example is a spoiled rich kid who has probably never played a video game in which you can hide a hat. I don't understand why you care so much.

Since when does an exampled parallel have to match something verbatim, in order to impart the gist of the concept? The salient point was a lack of coping mechanism.

I am not convinced. I believe that it is at least in part, a symptom of fostering empowerment fantasy along with the ability to refuse or refute the imposed reality if they don't like it—albeit only in the game.

I do see it as a kind of cheating to brazenly accept the benefits of [worn] equipment (in this case) without enduring the associated/or imposed cost of wearing it——which includes having to look at it, and could even be that it makes the PC look ridiculous (by design). The point being that if one chooses not to accept the associated cost of a thing, then one should not be allowed to accept the benefits of it; and that applies beyond playing video games. 

(IE. if one chooses to wear a "Shimmering Dunce Hat of Invulnerability", then one should not get to hide that fact—not even from themselves, and yet remain invulnerable by it.)

**And this is the end of my posts on this...(because more would just be reiterating it.)

—But someone can make a dedicated thread topic, and invite continuation.  :devil:

Enjoy feeling superior about hat hiding, I guess. I'll just hide hats I want to hide without weird moral equivalences, thanks.

• Like 3