Anyone working up this mod?  I'm on my fourth restart and sick to #%$^ of that island.  It's not quite as bad as the BG II starter dungeon, but it's coming close.

This is not to criticize the devs for Tutorial Island.  Was a great introduction to the game on my first playthrough, but tired of having to do it on my fourth.  And I imagine my frustration will only build with later characters...

Edited by Balbanes

No matter what the devs do, there's always going to be a place you go to first.  In BG2 is was the starter dungeon.  In PoE1 is was Gilded Vale.  in PoE2, it's Port Maje.  There's always going to be a place you have to go to first.  Jeez.  Frankly, Port Maje seemed pretty tame to me.

• Like 2

Anyone working up this mod?  I'm on my fourth restart and sick to #%$^ of that island.  It's not quite as bad as the BG II starter dungeon, but it's coming close.

This is not to criticize the devs for Tutorial Island.  Was a great introduction to the game on my first playthrough, but tired of having to do it on my fourth.  And I imagine my frustration will only build with later characters...

>   I'm on my fourth restart 

Why?

>   I'm on my fourth restart 

Why?

Restartitus is a thing!

No matter what the devs do, there's always going to be a place you go to first.  In BG2 is was the starter dungeon.  In PoE1 is was Gilded Vale.  in PoE2, it's Port Maje.  There's always going to be a place you have to go to first.  Jeez.  Frankly, Port Maje seemed pretty tame to me.

That's certainly not true.  See pretty much every open world game, ever.

Even for a more traditional western RPG, there's usually some point at which the training wheels come off and the player can pretty much go anywhere (beefgates excluded).  PoE1's was not Gilded Vale: the game had opened up by then, and  you could run right through it to other areas if desired.  PoE's starter dungeon was Cilant Lis, which you could get through pretty quickly if desired.  Not so Port Maje.

• Like 1

It's kind of weird to get rid of Port Maje, it has a healthy chunk of gameplay - a higher % of the total game than Irenicus Dungeon or Candlekeep. It also has completely normal, full-fledged gameplay after Vilario's Rest.

Probably one option for those who want it is to start us off at Vilario's Rest, skipping all the stupid dream sequence, and maybe plopping all the story NPCs on the beach, if it's doable.

I suppose an even better solution is start you off there with the ship, so you can go elsewhere and come back? It jsut seems weird to cut out 5% or 10% of the whole game.

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 3

Good point about not eliminating content.

What if there were a Berath's blessing that protects your ship at the beginning?  Same intro, but ship is still functional instead of needing repairs.  Then you can do the Port Maje quests or sail into the ocean blue at your leisure.  Couple it with the "start at level 4" blessing, and skipping the intro is completely viable.

• Like 3