Cipher/rogue multiclass and blunderbuss (hand mortar), how does it work?

For this multiclass, when using the hand mortar or other aoe weapons:

-Does he gain focus for each hit (same if not aoe but multiple hits, like frostseeker)?

-Does rogue abilities like blinding strike apply like an aoe (blinding all targets hit)

Also what would be suggested as subclasses if i plan to use only (or mostly) ranged weapons. Am i gimping myself if i go ranged instead of melee (for POTD)

Tks!

-Does he gain focus for each hit (same if not aoe but multiple hits, like frostseeker)?

-Does rogue abilities like blinding strike apply like an aoe (blinding all targets hit)

Also what would be suggested as subclasses if i plan to use only (or mostly) ranged weapons. Am i gimping myself if i go ranged instead of melee (for POTD)

Tks!

Subclasses are easier to break down:

generic cipher - ok nothing special totally viable 

ascendant - generally considered strongest type of cipher now as with draining whip perk you can get ascended really fast + you have a naturally larger focus pool than a vanilla cipher so you can cast spells quickly without needing too much extra focus in a pinch when not ascended - so RECOMMENDED

generic rogue - strong class nothing wrong with it

streetfighter rogue - if you want to be more in you face front liner type of character, also synergizes well with blunderbus modal, better than assassin rogue to take on groups

assassin rogue - single target dps is unmatched by any class

as for firearms - eh in PotD dual wielded pistols are better than blunderbusses as enemies have lots of armor and many are pierce immune in general making pure fire-arms not optimal. you are better off with scepters actually or the unique hunting bow that does slash/pierce damage. 

as for firearms - eh in PotD dual wielded pistols are better than blunderbusses as enemies have lots of armor and many are pierce immune in general making pure fire-arms not optimal. you are better off with scepters actually or the unique hunting bow that does slash/pierce damage. 

It's worth mentioning that the Hand Mortar is slash/pierce, so the pierce immune part doesn't apply to that specific blunderbuss. It also is different than other blunderbusses in that it is only firing one projectile per shot, so it isn't like a standard blunderbuss with 5 smaller projectiles. Hand Mortar + Scordeo's Trophy is a solid combo for cipher. There are plenty of other quality guns and scepters and wands as well too depending on your preferences.

Also, yes, the cleave on Hand Mortar does generate focus. I can't speak on the rogue stuff as I haven't really played around with the class. I would suggest Ascendant for the cipher subclass and you definitely are not gimping yourself by being ranged. Being ranged also gives you the option of playing with lower con and res (or dumping res completely), which frees you up to put more points in per/dex, since a front line melee char is going to need some more survivability than ranged.

I'm a big advocate for the vanilla Rogue. Sure Streetfighter has some perks but it's gimmicky. And you're going to crushed while Flanked if you're not a multi. Assassin isn't my style but admittedly it's a well done subclass. Trickster, not seeing the benefit unless you multi but a Rogue is all about DPS imho so reducing Sneak Attack damage is a big no no. Plus his spells use Guile so it's like, are you an Illusionist or Rogue?

Edited by Verde

Tks!

As for focus gain I can only assume that it works in the AoE as I have never tested it on a cipher myself (I've just killed serafen and looted his weapon for myself)

The handmortar does inflict rogue afflictions in AoE, it works gloriously.

I'd go Assassin/Ascendant. If you play on PoTD the acc penalty of using the modal along with the blunders already -10 acc hurts too much to be worth that Xtra recovery speed. Besides, the handmortar already attacks in AoE.

Scordios trophy is another great ranged weapon. One handed style with that weapon with the pistol modal on is beastly. Enchant it to stack recovery speed with each hit and enjoy ur super rapid revolver :D. It also has better critical dmg then other guns and with dirty tricks and one handed style u have quite high crit rate even with pistol modal turned on.

Edited by Dorftek
  • Like 1

If you're going ranged I'd indeed definitely go Assassin, the extra damage received doesn't matter that much and the +25 ACC applies to everything so it is very useful to make a spell or scroll or poison or whatever stick. Especially since it's a passive so it'll stack with everything, and there's a fair number of ways like Smoke Veil or Invisibility Potion to turn yourself invisible as needed after you've broken stealth. 

Cipher Ranger is another valid option, Ascendant / Ghostheart if you're into Subclasses.  You can use all the 'target ally' stuff on your pet, which you can summon into wherever you need him, Ranger also has a lot of handy +Accuracy, which can make alot of the Cipher 'hard to land' spells stick even in PotD.  And the Leap + Fire (0 recovery) is great for getting out of messy situations.

i modded Serafen into dual wield pistol beguiler/assassin and that worked out quite well for the entire game.  plenty of pistols that do things other than pure piercing damage, and even if you don't have any of them, you start with enough focus to do nasty things with your cipher spells.  or, you can also train him to use sabers as a backup.  my god, but there are literally dozens of amazing sabers in this game.

beguiler for story reasons, but actually most of the spells in the "deception" genre of cipher spells are perfect for a mid ranged character, given the increased ranges you get by being a beguiler.  assassin always makes sure you generate maximum focus on your first attack turn, and the range of the pistols is long enough you aren't immediately tossed into the middle of a flanking group of nasty meleeing enemies.

plus.. the little furball looks damn cool wearing a pirate hat and dual pistols.