What is the point of locking players in/out of POTD

I know this keeps coming up but what is the logic of this? The first chapter of POE1 is by far the hardest. While POTD players are a very small percentage I think a significant portion of casual gamers would like to ramp up the difficulty late game.

Has Josh Sawyer ever directly addressed this?

P.s. I easily beat POE1 in POTD with 2 companions so this isn't about me.

Edited by Erik Dirk
  • Like 3

I guess it is not much of an achievement to finish the game on PoTD if you can easily change to classic for some select battles.

It should be possible to go from a lower difficulty to PoTD though. But then it should not be counted for a PoTD run.

Edited by wih
  • Like 4

I doubt it's design decision: THere is no achievement in Deadfire for beating game on PotD, and even if it was it would be as simple as not allowing to switch the difficulty at any point of the game - that's how other games usually do it.

My guess is that there is some technical limitation. 

• Like 1

I suppose they locked it because you can't completely switch off PotD once you start playing at that difficulty.

Would that matter though? You might end up with Veteran 1.5 difficulty I.e. Higher stats but no additional enemies.

In regards to technical issues I'd have thought it'd be the same as level scaling. I.e. Areas you've already been to but not cleared don't get harder.

Finding veteran hard doesn't mean you suck, just you haven't figured something out yet. Armour penetration mechanics can be brutal for example. Also after 1.1 it's mid game that balance completely goes out the window.

Although experienced Poe players will reach this much quicker.

Also some classes/subclasses are pretty lacklustre. I.e. Single class priest

Edited by Erik Dirk

I believe it has something to do with the additional foes the game adds in PotD - it might not be possible to add and remove them at any given time.

I don't think this is the case, because that also happens between e.g. Classic and Veteran. The specific difference in PotD is the enemy stats.

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard

since PotD adds additional enemies to most encounters, my guess is it is hard to detect which areas/encounters has been cleared already, so not to spawn monsters in places you already went through. Just my guess, it's extra dev work to implement - and it might need some tracking of the state changes in the save data. I would be nice tho, in PoE 1, the second part on hard (veteran) got easy and would have loved to switch to PoTD halfway.

>>  portrait mod on Nexus: Fantasy RPG Portraits

I must completely suck, since the patch I keep getting destroyed on Veteran.

Are you fighting enemies with skulls?

I found it interesting that some quests show no skulls but have stronger enemies (sometimes with two skulls) anyway.

I can solve them without a fight (the principi in Degnos' quest, the Valeras) but I had no warning when I decided to attack them.

I had some difficult battles on Veteran, but nobody was knocked unconscious yet. What is your party composition? It can make a huge difference. I have an Assassin (Watcher), a Brute (Rekke), A Sorcerer (Fassina), a Cipher (Serafen) and the last spot has been changing (Chanter, Wizard most of the time).

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

I believe it has something to do with the additional foes the game adds in PotD - it might not be possible to add and remove them at any given time.

I don't think this is the case, because that also happens between e.g. Classic and Veteran. The specific difference in PotD is the enemy stats.

No he is correct.

Since Patch 1.1 POTD has enemies added. And some of the early game encounters are brutal. (Im looking at the boars + drake + panthers in particular... you know which ones.) 

(probably have to start a new game so they show up^)

Edited by Zelse

No he is correct.

Since Patch 1.1 POTD has enemies added. And some of the early game encounters are brutal. (Im looking at the boars + drake + panthers in particular... you know which ones.) 

(probably have to start a new game so they show up^)

I wasn't claiming that PotD didn't add enemies, I claimed that this also happens when you transition from Classic to Veteran, so if additional enemies were the reason for the lock, the same logic would have to be applied to Veteran (but it isn't).

And that was the case also before the Patch, which only changed the additional enemies that show up.

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard

I found it interesting that some quests show no skulls but have stronger enemies (sometimes with two skulls) anyway.

I can solve them without a fight (the principi in Degnos' quest, the Valeras) but I had no warning when I decided to attack them.

I had some difficult battles on Veteran, but nobody was knocked unconscious yet. What is your party composition? It can make a huge difference. I have an Assassin (Watcher), a Brute (Rekke), A Sorcerer (Fassina), a Cipher (Serafen) and the last spot has been changing (Chanter, Wizard most of the time).

I only had my character, Eder and Xoti. It's them wyverns or whatever in the camp before you get Aloth.

nowt

I only had my character, Eder and Xoti. It's them wyverns or whatever in the camp before you get Aloth.

Don't worry then. That fight is difficult. I barely made it.

I sneaked behind the tent and waited for the right moment to shoot the gunpowder barrels. Them I moved Eder a little to keep the other characters away from the enemies.

I focused my Assassin's attacks with an arquebus on the flying enemies with long range and let Eder and Xoti deal with the others. It was pretty close, if I hadn't timed the healing spells right, somebody would have died.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry them. That fight is difficult. I barely made it.

I sneaked behind the tent and waited for the right moment to shoot the gunpowder barrels. Them I moved Eder a little to keep the other characters away from the enemies.

I focused my Assassin's attacks with an arquebus on the flying enemies with long range and let Eder and Xoti deal with the others. It was pretty close, if I hadn't timed the healing spells right, somebody would have died.

I hired a monk and smashed em.

• Like 1

nowt