Ship combat and Ship upgrade thread.

Hello everyone.

I open this thread so that we can discuss ships and ship combat. Tactics/ships/Upgrades etc etc.

Do you have any advice to share or do you have any questions?

I have tried playing around with ship combat for a bit and I have to say that it has been quite frustrating. I don't know if the fact that I play on POTD have any effect on the actual ship combat minigame or not?

It appears that it doesn't matter how you initate combat. It most often puts u at disadvantage vs the AI where the AI starts of with their broadside already facing you.

The RNG feels very punishing ala Xcom style.

Cannons where u need to rush close often result in the AI ramming and boarding you.

Inspecting the enemy ship and adjusting ur range to stay out if their cannons range seems to do nothing at all. I've had scenarios where I've been way closer then what their cannons allow but they still hit every shot. Meanwhile if I am not in my cannons comfortzone I get 0% chance to hit.

Wyrmtongue cannons are expensive and can supposedly set enemy ships on fire. This almost never happen with Wyrmtongue for me. I either have very unlucky rolls or the Wyrmtongue is no different then other cannons.

Purchasing any other ship then the Junk feel like a noobtrap. Because of things like ive stated above the only viable tactic in ship vs ship combat is to overpower the enemy. I took beraths blessing for 55k cash, ship captain rank and stormwind sails to focus the start of the campaign on piracy. I bought Dhow and equipped it with 3×3 Wyrmtongues and an upgraded hull. It felt like a massive waste of money. RNG is always with the AI, even when I attack simple merchant ships they seem to always snipe my cannoners. Always!

What are your thoughts? Have u found any actual tactics that I have missed?

What are ur favourite cannons?

Is it worth it spending big money on ranked up crew members rather then upgrading the ship early?

Also it feels like maintaining the ship costs more then what u get from sinking an enemy ship.

• Like 1

There is a big thread about this somewhere, but. Yes, it seems on PotD enemies always start in position to broadside. The text on cannons is just lore. You can start deck fires without a wyrmtongue. It's just a possible consequence of a successful shot. You can also knock cargo loose or a sailor overboard.

There are definitely fans of junks. They're my favorite ship for sinking. Dhows also have supporters though. Nobody likes galleons. Voyagers are supreme for boarding and hardly a noobtrap. I generally play voyagers. I don't even have cannoneers on the crew. Voyagers are cheap, very fast and opponents have huge problems hitting me. They get to fire one broadside with <50% accuracy. And if there's a fight I don't want, I can outrace anything. Including one plot event :D

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

There is a big thread about this somewhere, but. Yes, it seems on PotD enemies always start in position to broadside. The text on cannons is just lore. You can start deck fires without a wyrmtongue. It's just a possible consequence of a successful shot. You can also knock cargo loose or a sailor overboard.

There are definitely fans of junks. They're my favorite ship for sinking. Dhows also have supporters though. Nobody likes galleons. Voyagers are supreme for boarding and hardly a noobtrap. I generally play voyagers. I don't even have cannoneers on the crew. Voyagers are cheap, very fast and opponents have huge problems hitting me. They get to fire one broadside with <50% accuracy. And if there's a fight I don't want, I can outrace anything. Including one plot event :D

Yes but to play the ship vs ship combat I meant specifically u are to avoid boarding. Because if u only intend to board the ship, the combat minigame is irrelevant and so is basically all upgrades

The other thread called "The Ship Combat Thread" is a rant thread, it was opened as a rant thread and it doesnt even stick to ship combat ranting.

Edited by Dorftek

...Nobody likes galleons. Voyagers are supreme for boarding and hardly a noobtrap. I generally play voyagers. I don't even have cannoneers on the crew. Voyagers are cheap, very fast and opponents have huge problems hitting me. They get to fire one broadside with <50% accuracy. And if there's a fight I don't want, I can outrace anything. Including one plot event :D

I like my galleon :p

I could also outpace a plot event with my upgraded galleon.

I've gone with double-bronzers for all my cannons now - 4 on each side - close to 350m and blast the cr*p out of the enemy.  Sure, they occasionally get close enough to ram me, but generally they sink before that.

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Just loaded a save and bought the Voyager with various upgrades to try and use the rear cannon cleverly with speed and long range cannon at my advantage. It doesnt work because the enemy will flee if u are at a distance of 500m+. If u are in range of 250m cannons the enemy will ram u. So u have a very tiny distance to play around with if u are actually interested in ship vs ship combat. I sincerely hope Obsidian improves upon this because this is downright bad right now. It feels like Musket warfare where u simply stand around and exchange shots lol.

Edited by Dorftek

It feels like Musket warfare where u simply stand around and exchange shots lol.

So just as intended?

I don't know what they intended. But in that case my point stands, buying any other ship then the Junk is a waste of money if u wish to play the Ship vs ship game because the only viable "tactic" is to overpower your opponent.

...Nobody likes galleons. Voyagers are supreme for boarding and hardly a noobtrap. I generally play voyagers. I don't even have cannoneers on the crew. Voyagers are cheap, very fast and opponents have huge problems hitting me. They get to fire one broadside with <50% accuracy. And if there's a fight I don't want, I can outrace anything. Including one plot event :D

I like my galleon :p

I could also outpace a plot event with my upgraded galleon.

I've gone with double-bronzers for all my cannons now - 4 on each side - close to 350m and blast the cr*p out of the enemy.  Sure, they occasionally get close enough to ram me, but generally they sink before that.

Same. I prefer a galleon to a junk myself as the added hull strength means I don't have to worry as much as I close on the enemy with my double bronzers.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer