Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Large Shields

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Big shield is interesting option for support caster as secondary slot, if you are casting buffs, heals or summoning then you dont care about acc anyway.

Also you can spare a talent for modal +12 Def when you need it (Arms bearer for class which normally dont need it).

mrscojangles

mrscojangles

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not sure why you'd say that medium shields are better for tanks than large ones.  More deflection seems better to me for a tank, i.e. a character who isn't really expected to do a lot of damage, but is expected to hold the front line.  It seems like a medium shield would be more for a melee character who you are expecting to be more offensive in nature.

Because of the modal. While you are correct, more deflection is a good thing, the medium shield modal is a 30% chance to completely resist an attack at the cost of 25% recovery penalty on weapons. Since my tank isn't really doing any significant weapon damage and is mostly just hitting things to debuff them with the weapon modals, the 25% increased recovery is negligible. At that point you're trading some deflection for the chance to completely avoid an attack and you're not losing out on as much accuracy, if your tank is a chanter or something else where you still want to be able to hit the enemy with debuffs.

• Achilles likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10482 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's nice that people run in the room and scream "this is so stupid OP it is so broken why are people so dumb?!?!?!", so that we can confirm that nobody else thinks large shields are a 'must have'.

I'd say it's actually one of the more balanced, clever options: it has a very clear and tangible benefit in the right setup/situation, making it attractive to use, but at the same time it's not so much better than everything else that it's a default. (If only the same was true of, say, dual-wield vs. 2-handers.)

Edited by Tigranes, 14 June 2018 - 05:41 PM.

• dunehunter likes this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3014 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm not sure why you'd say that medium shields are better for tanks than large ones. More deflection seems better to me for a tank, i.e. a character who isn't really expected to do a lot of damage, but is expected to hold the front line. It seems like a medium shield would be more for a melee character who you are expecting to be more offensive in nature.

Because of the modal. While you are correct, more deflection is a good thing, the medium shield modal is a 30% chance to completely resist an attack at the cost of 25% recovery penalty on weapons. Since my tank isn't really doing any significant weapon damage and is mostly just hitting things to debuff them with the weapon modals, the 25% increased recovery is negligible. At that point you're trading some deflection for the chance to completely avoid an attack and you're not losing out on as much accuracy, if your tank is a chanter or something else where you still want to be able to hit the enemy with debuffs.
With high resolve and Weapon and Shield Style, my PC has well over 100 Deflection before modals and stances. Tacking on a few more, at the expense of deflection, is hardly a no-brainer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users