[Build Help] I want to use two Pistols / Blunderbusses

Hello! 

I'm pretty new to the game and I love it so far, I very much want to find a build (there currently isn't one in the sticky) that uses two guns. I just want to use two guns and I'd love to use it to someday solo PotD. Does anyone have one or can point me to suggestions so that I can build one? I promise to post the build if I finally succeed with it. 

Currently: I'm trying out two things and they're working, but only with a party and no-where near PotD: the Bleakwalker sniper Voltron posted and the Kind Wayfarer/Chanter that... Voltron also posted? My memory is horrid. 

If you have any suggestions, tips, or a link, I'd love to know. If not, I'll keep this updated with my trials and errors. Lots of trials. More errors. 

Thanks everyone in advance!

Dual Blunderbusses Kind Wayfarer is kind of cool because you need a hit with FoD to trigger White Flames - and with Blunderbusses you'll have 4 hit rolls instead of just one per shot.

Also dual Blunderbusses with Confounding Blind, Hel Hyraf upgrade or Combusting Wounds is great (so basically everything that triggers per hit/per damage appliance). Add Driving Flight from the ranger and you'll double the projectile count.

What is NOT cool with blunderbuss is an assassin. Only the first pellet that hits will receive the bonus of assassinate and/or Backstab.

Maybe these thoughts can inspire. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

A rogue/ranger with arterial strike equipped with Serafens handmortar is tons of fun because it will inflict hobble and the raw dmg on movement in AoE. Used this on a solorun using ghostheart/assassin. Assassin was chosen because of grenade alpha strikes, if u won't use grenades and go blunderbuss a streetfighter would be a cool option if u use the modals, but in that case I'd recommend Alchemy so u can boost ur ACC.

Withering strike with the corrode DoT upgrade is also very lethal with this.

Another option with less per hit dmg but quick gunslinger would be Troub/Ranger for pistols or Troub/Streetfighter for blunderbusses. But it sucks loosing out of driving flight if u skip ranger.

You could also go for a dual pistol crit build using that pistol with Xtra critical dmg (I forgot wich one it is but I think it's the pistol from citadel merchant) and do Rogue/Monk for Confounding blind + stunning blows. Confounding blind lowers deflection with each shot while stunning blows will keep regaining mortification points if u crit. Wich happens a lot when u are using full attacks against a target with confounding blind. This is a single target killer tho so I'd go explosives for AoE dmg.

Dual Blunderbusses Kind Wayfarer is kind of cool because you need a hit with FoD to trigger White Flames - and with Blunderbusses you'll have 4 hit rolls instead of just one per shot.

Also dual Blunderbusses with Confounding Blind, Hel Hyraf upgrade or Combusting Wounds is great (so basically everything that triggers per hit/per damage appliance). Add Driving Flight from the ranger and you'll double the projectile count.

What is NOT cool with blunderbuss is an assassin. Only the first pellet that hits will receive the bonus of assassinate and/or Backstab.

Maybe these thoughts can inspire. ;)

Does this mean 4 chances to trigger White flames once or 4 chances to trigger it up to 4 times?

Someone posted something like this for a Ghost Heart/Ascendant combo:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102168-build-concept-puppet-master-ghost-heart-ascendant/

I'm actually running a similar build in my current playthrough myself. It works very well, dual pistols when paired with draining whip allows you to reach max focus very quickly especially when factoring in Gunner and Two Weapon Style. Having a disposable summon to keep the heat off you also works wonders.

Edited by Wolken3156

Does this mean 4 chances to trigger White flames once or 4 chances to trigger it up to 4 times?

The first. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Does anyone think single-handed pistols with the Rushed Reload modal is a good alternative to dual-wielding? e.g. you boost your mechanics throughout the party and get Scordeo's Trophy as soon as you enter Neketaka, and there you basically have a dual-wielding Superb weapon with bonus hit to crit if you take Single Handed weapons skill?

• Like 1

Yeah I think the auto attack dps ends up being much better.

Any 2nd oppinion on that?

shouldn't dual wield pistols alone be better for the 2nd weapons stats?

For only -3 accuracy you get -50% recovery time and 20% hit to crit versus 15% and 30% (because of the modal). In terms of rate of fire I believe it ends up being a ~100% increase vs a ~60% (you can check the attack speed thread for the formula). You could for for a 160% increase instead of a 60% increase with dualing at the cost of 15 accuracy but I'm not sure that is better. You would end up attacking ~30% faster for -12 accuracy and 20% hit to crit. Crits aren't as great with pistols but its still a penetration difference and a bit of extra damage +on crit effects, even more if you're devoted.

• Like 1

I actually was just tinkering around with this myself, and indeed for pistols one-handed is probably better than dual because of rushed reload. To give you some figures I jotted down for illustration, with a 19 Dex character. This is with the Two Weapon Style perk, no armour or other speed effects, times are for the total attack cycle. 

- 1H: 4.7 seconds at +12 ACC

- 1H + Gunner: 4.1 seconds at +12 ACC

- 1H + RR: 3.0 seconds at -3 ACC

- 1H + RR + Gunner: 2.8 seconds at -3 ACC

- DW: 3.5 seconds at +0 ACC

- DW + Gunner: 3.2 seconds at +0 ACC

- DW + RR: 2.5 seconds at -15 ACC

- DW + RR + Gunner: 2.4 seconds at -15 ACC

So with Rushed Reload on 1H is actually faster than dual-wielding without it, at the cost of 3 accuracy points (but with the benefit of 1H +20% hit-crit conversion). Dual-wielding with RR is obviously fastest but not by an enormous amount and at a relative -12 ACC penalty. Of course numbers will vary somewhat depending on other effects and stats and such (though clearly with RR on, due to the way speed effects stack other speed-ups aren't going to add too much). And this doesn't take into account the advantage of dual-wielding with Full Attack effects; though of course 1H has its crit conversion, and potentially +12 ACC at the cost of speed if you really need it. 

Thank you all for the help! 

I'm finishing up a play through using a Votary that's dual-wielding (a slight and minor variation of the link posted above). It's solid enough that I was solo'ing PotD after I got the feel for it (I remade the character a few times). 

However, you're absolutely right that single use pistol is the better way to go. Further builds I'm going to try include a rogue and druid variation. 

I can't thank everyone enough for the assist on this. I've had a blast with the dual Votary so far, but it's super fiddly. And in the future, I really, really want to get away from using Paladin sub-classes. They're just used for everything lately. 

For a brief update: I finished a playthrough as a Votary, dual-pistols (Thundershock, Ecca's). Nothing was too difficult and definitely PotD viable. 

I am working on two right now and could solicit some advice. The first is what I think is my own creation: A Cantor (Helwalker/Troubadour). The pistols and monks abilities of course provide the punch, and the Troubadour is providing getting dual-wield reload (with Flurry and the singy-song-of-bullet-speed). I'm getting pretty darn close to sub 2.0 seconds. I think. I'll need to double check. This will absolutely be PotD capable and I can't wait to finish up my solo Veteran and pop it up a level. Unfortunately, I had to use Berath's Blessings. 

The second is, as suggested a few posts up, a single pistol Ascendent/Troubadour. I'm not as far along, but the crowd control is naturally amazing, it's just the damage is a bit under. 

Any suggestions beyond those barebones framework?