World Cup 2018

Guard Dog

Wow, Belgium vs Brazil......what a result. I'm very happy 

At my work everyone put money in a pool and randomly drew which team was there's. I drew Belgium, I am still supporting England but Belgium is my " work draw team " 

Imagine Belgium winning !!!!

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

South American teams haven't been the same since 2006. Brazil needs another Rivaldo/Ronaldo/Ronaldinho and Argentina needs another Batistuta/Ayala/no, not you Maradona/ Veron.

Uruguauy was the only south american team that was prominent even though they didn't have Diego Forlan anymore.

I also want to jump in the bandwagon and say that 'it really sucked that Cavani was absent from the France VS Uruguay match'. He is young and he is a brilliant finisher, just like Forlan.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

South American teams haven't been the same since 2006. Brazil needs another Rivaldo/Ronaldo/Ronaldinho and Argentina needs another Batistuta/Ayala/no, not you Maradona/ Veron.

Nah, I wouldn't say South American teams are lacking individual talent yet. That has been the talk in the last two World Cups (and this one seems to be the same): collective and organized team work >>> individual talent.

2010's Spain consolidated the revolution of "tiki-taka" style of play, passing the ball with very small error percentage, even in the opponent's side of the field! 2014's Germany also met that high standard of team work. Of course, Iniesta and Schweinsteiger are outstanding players, but it's the collective that won those World Cups. Their teams had an incredible flow: everybody who's not controlling the ball is moving all the time, to give more passing options with low error percentage.

I found Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and even Uruguay haven't reached that level of collective training yet. The goals are usually born out of direct long passes or individual talent. Uruguay's current midfield play is terrible to watch.

Belgium and France's games have been delightful to watch so far. Both have absurdly efficient counter-attacks, but I put more faith in France's ability to attack fast and precisely when the adversary's defense is all set and structured. Rooting for Belgium though  :devil:    

• Like 3

Well, looks like Sweden can't do it. ****ing English

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sweden looks THOROUGHLY outmatched.  Nearly the entirety of possession is happening around Sweden's penalty box.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yet the English will jerk themselves to death over this. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Uruguauy was the only south american team that was prominent even though they didn't have Diego Forlan anymore.

I also want to jump in the bandwagon and say that 'it really sucked that Cavani was absent from the France VS Uruguay match'. He is young and he is a brilliant finisher, just like Forlan.

The biggest problem for Brazil is the Brazilian Confederation of Football, one of the most corrupt organizations in the world (it probably loses only to the Brazilian Congress in that matter). They don't work properly because they just want money and to keep themselves in power. There a lot of things that they could do much better.

As for individual talent, I agree with LuccA that it is not a problem for Brazil, but it could be much better. About only 1 in 3000 boys that want to become a player in Brazil actually get a chance to test. And that doesn't mean they will be able to go on after that. Usually there is a lot of corruption and their families have to pay for it.

I saw a Brazilian journalist saying that in Belgium anyone who wants to become a player will have a chance to be evaluated by a professional. They have a system to ensure that. And the same system was offered to Brazil ion 2010, but they didn't want it.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

So torn. As an Aussie I'd normally never support England in any pursuit, but love seeing the Spurs boys doing well. Not just for England, but for Belgium and France as well.

Gotta admit it's the first full match I've watched all tournament though due to lack of investment in any team.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So torn. As an Aussie I'd normally never support England in any pursuit, but love seeing the Spurs boys doing well. Not just for England, but for Belgium and France as well.

Gotta admit it's the first full match I've watched all tournament though due to lack of investment in any team.

You back Spurs ? I knew there was a reason I hated you

So, out of Russia and Croatia, which team has the better chance to ugly the game up enough to take out England?  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have nothing against the English, but I really want to see a new champion, so this is bad.

Maybe fate will be kind and we'll get a Belgium - Croatia final

• Like 1

You back Spurs ? I knew there was a reason I hated you

Hmm, red or blue?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I have nothing against the English, but I really want to see a new champion, so this is bad.

I despise them, but I'd like a new champion too. Doesn't look that way though, France probably will get it done - will be nice to see Giroud with it though.

Hmm, red or blue?

No, not quite a subhuman so not blue. Arsenal supporter. Which works well for hating English as the rest of the Arsenal fanbase are trash :p

Edited by Malcador

I don't agree that either lacks the star power to be honest. Through the last few world cups Argentina's had a pretty great forwards, it's just that the midfield and *especially* the defense have been really lacklustre. 2006's lineup was especially great in that area, but we haven't had a lineup that solid across the field since.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I have to suspect that, with the best S. American players being contracted to play for teams in Europe, other nation's players have adapted to their skill set. It isn't that they are less talented than before; just that other players have grown better.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hell of a goal by Russia there.