World Cup 2018

Guard Dog

and the England team is winning a BAFTA for that game.

Englishmen never dive, they just embellish a little, not like those dishonourable Continentals and South Americans.

Yep they sure do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTG7jfkKVh8

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Was being sarcastic. English love to preach about this stuff but amusingly so :)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How cool would it be for Croatia to knock Russia out?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, it's the expected outcome but then again Croatia seems to be one of those teams that chokes at the worst moment and they are playing the host nation (so there's a motivational boost as well as the usual referee tilting potential).   It would be cooler for Russia to beat Croatia, to me.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, it's the expected outcome but then again Croatia seems to be one of those teams that chokes at the worst moment and they are playing the host nation (so there's a motivational boost as well as the usual referee tilting potential).   It would be cooler for Russia to beat Croatia, to me.

Russia: "Serbian comrades, you owe us."  :-

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Neymar flops are being turned into a KFC commercial, subtitled "Make a meal of it". :lol:

Apparently they tracked the amount of time he has spent on the ground at the World Cup: 14 minutes.

At that point you know the Neymar hating is tiresome.  Wonder if the non-Anglo world really cares that much about flopping and diving.

Edited by Malcador

At that point you know the Neymar hating is tiresome.  Wonder if the non-Anglo world really cares that much about flopping and diving.

Well it's tied into beliefs about fair play and cheating, which at some level is a fairly universal human trait. There's likely some cultural variation in tolerance though.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/01/625079032/the-art-of-flopping-in-soccer

Flopping and diving isnt considered poor sportsmanship outside of the "Anglo" world? 

Well, flopping is pretty much universal, English as usual maintain a constant blind spot over the mirror and Canadians are pretty much the same.  But press in those countries always seems wound up about it, but have heard outside they don't care that much so was curious.  Flopping for the most part is to really bring attention to a foul, find it funny people are more annoyed at Neymar's reaction than the cleats the Mexican player put on him (accidentally...).  You do what you have to win, I guess, that's more universal than 'fair play' :p

Not sure how a red card for flopping is going to work, the referee will judge "Well that didn't hurt that much..."  ?  I know some referees in the past will make a somewhat theatrically injured player go off for treatment and then let them on a little later than usual.  I guess they can have minimum times for that so in effect an orange card.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Flopping and diving isnt considered poor sportsmanship outside of the "Anglo" world? 

I don't know about poor sportsmanship but it is made fun off; of course there are blind spots when it your national team involved.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, flopping is pretty much universal, English as usual maintain a constant blind spot over the mirror and Canadians are pretty much the same.  But press in those countries always seems wound up about it, but have heard outside they don't care that much so was curious.  Flopping for the most part is to really bring attention to a foul, find it funny people are more annoyed at Neymar's reaction than the cleats the Mexican player put on him (accidentally...).  You do what you have to win, I guess, that's more universal than 'fair play' :p

Not sure how a red card for flopping is going to work, the referee will judge "Well that didn't hurt that much..."  ?  I know some referees in the past will make a somewhat theatrically injured player go off for treatment and then let them on a little later than usual.  I guess they can have minimum times for that so in effect an orange card.

I proposed solution I heard once was to have a mandatory treatment for "injured" players outside, for at least one minute. And then when they miraculous heal, they would have to wait for authorization from the referee to come back.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Diving ('simulation') is cheating under the rules ('unsporting behaviour') so it's legally poor sportmanship. Pretty much everyone considers flopping to be part of the game, whether they admit it or not- though feigning injury is considered the same rule as diving. In most places diving is thought of as part of the game though since there was no way to consistently punish it and since everyone does it it's 'fair'.

Solution to feigning injury is to call for the stretcher every time. More video reviews should eventually do for outright diving as well since the risk/ reward equation will shift. Though the results with video refs in rugby have been... erratic to say the least, albeit not helped by rugby's ridiculously inconsistent laws.

• Like 1

I can say brazilians also make fun of and are annoyed by Neymar's diving and over-reacting faults, however he's more admired as a talented player than hated as a diver.

As a football fan, I must say the faking I hate the most is when a player covers his face with his hands whenever there is a slightest touch anywhere near his face. Some even check if they aren't bleeding, uh...

An easy solution for flopping to pass the time would be to use a countdown clock that stops whenever the game stops, like in basketball. Let's say for 30 minutes per half-time? 

• Like 3

As a football fan, I must say the faking I hate the most is when a player covers his face with his hands whenever there is a slightest touch anywhere near his face.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiW0IPrv1Ro

Crynaldo, Rollmar et al got nothing on the greats of old.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Got nothing on Pedersen

:lol:

Good game so far