World Cup 2018

Guard Dog

Matches begin tomorrow (from where I am at least). Who do you like? With the US being eliminated (again) I'm pulling for Iceland because, well, why not. Iceland is a cool place (no pun).

The US, Canada, & Mexico will hots in 2026. Does that mean all three get an automatic berth. Ha, what am I saying. Canada & Mexico would be in anyway. It will be nice to see the US get eliminated in pool play rather than the year before like usual.

So who will it be?

• Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Canada would only qualify via the host method.  Apparently though, for 2026 that isn't guaranteed for Canada.  Then again the WC is expanding to 48 teams so will be a lot of dross in there anyway (watch France STILL get the easiest group), 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't see many appealing matches in the Group stage. The best look to be Portugal v. Spain (6/15) and England v. Belgium (6/28). But perhaps there will be a surprise or two? Maybe Mexico v. Germany or Costa Rica v. Serbia?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Maybe the Polish squad will make it out of groups this year? Please? Pretty please?

Obviously our big star is Lewandowski, who is phenomenal, but we have some other decent players too.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Group F looks like the most interesting. Germany, Mexico, South Korea, and Sweden. None of them suck. Goals scored will matter. Group A looks the most lopsided. Russia will take it pretty easily but Eqypt should be the best of the rest. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm guessing Holland didn't qualify, considering this is the first I've heard of it and usually it's inescapable. :lol: Whenever we're not in it, my country is salty and gives it the silent treatment.

Yeah, it's a shame because I always like Holland. They're a great team to watch and they love to spice things up when drama hits the field too (see their many confrontations v. Portugal for example). :D 

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Maybe the Polish squad will make it out of groups this year? Please? Pretty please?

Obviously our big star is Lewandowski, who is phenomenal, but we have some other decent players too.

Phenomenal ? Hm.  But certainly is a tough group.  I am hoping England screws up and goes home at the group stage

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm guessing Holland didn't qualify, considering this is the first I've heard of it and usually it's inescapable. :lol: Whenever we're not in it, my country is salty and gives it the silent treatment.

Yeah, it's a shame because I always like Holland. They're a great team to watch and they love to spice things up when drama hits the field too (see their many confrontations v. Portugal for example). :D

Ugh, don't remind me. The only year I got really into football I had a huge flamewar with someone here over that match where they were literally ninja-kicking each other. :lol:

• Like 1

Phenomenal ? Hm. But certainly is a tough group. I am hoping England screws up and goes home at the group stage
You doubt Robert Lewandowski? Would you believe he once scored 5 goals in 9 minutes?

https://youtu.be/oRZFvSPJBzU

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Really ? Always expect a decent show from Japan, but they were pretty meh last time.  As for Lewandowski, no I don't doubt him, just that in terms of phenomenal players it's a higher bar. :p

Ugh, don't remind me. The only year I got really into football I had a huge flamewar with someone here over that match where they were literally ninja-kicking each other. :lol:

Was it with me? I can't remember.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Shouldn't be an issue this time with the new video support system.

At least I hope so. I'd be glad if there wasn't a repeat of the 2014 final. *cough*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Was it with me? I can't remember.

I think so, but I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't want to name names. :lol: I honestly don't know why it was such a big deal to me at the time, and tbh I'm pretty embarrassed about it looking back.

At least I hope so. I'd be glad if there wasn't a repeat of the 2014 final. *cough*

What was wrong with the 2014 final ? :p

What was wrong with the 2014 final ? :p

What wasn't? :p

Don't recall any blown calls in the game, was pleased with the result as I am anytime Argentina loses. :p

Don't recall any blown calls in the game, was pleased with the result as I am anytime Argentina loses. :p

Yeah I know there are actually people who believe that Neuer's Chuck Norris jump kick against Higuain wasn't a penalty but that is sort of a ridiculous opinion. One that even German referees don't agree with. :p

And you need to get your priorities straight. Anything is preferable to Brazil or Germany winning the cup.

• Like 1

Them's fighting words. *rolls back sleeves*

(Though in all frankness I was glad we didn't win, because it meant one less populist argument to be exploited by the Kirchner government at the time. But still.)

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Yeah I know there are actually people who believe that Neuer's Chuck Norris jump kick against Higuain wasn't a penalty but that is sort of a ridiculous opinion. One that even German referees don't agree with. :p

And you need to get your priorities straight. Anything is preferable to Brazil or Germany winning the cup.

That's a jump kick to you ?  Higuain bought most of his thigh/knee in that collision, seemed risky but I figured the referee was letting the game have bite.  He missed the shoulder at Kramer, after all and was letting Schweinsteiger get worked over for 100 minutes. :p

Argentines losing is always great, but who knows maybe they'll win it this year.