New RPG with Take Two = 1st/3rd person or both?

Skyleaf

Since this will probably be a AAA budget game, I doubt it'll have that infinity engine look to it.

So just yesterday I found out after 5 years of waiting and anticipation that CPR's Cyberpunk 2077 will only have a 1st person perspective outside of cutscenes. This really tore my heart to pieces not because I have a problem with FPS in general, but because I cannot for the life of me survive longer than two hours playing with this kind of POV without having to go to the crapper to vomit. Literally. So there goes the 2 AAA games I anticipated the most the last two years, ME:A and CP 2077, down the drain.

I hope you guys at Obsidian will be more considerate to fans of your games like me and tell us as early as possible, what kind of game you're making. I, of course, prefer 3rd person, and I think you guys can make everyone happy if this future game has both 1st and 3rd person view. Kinda like Fallout at least. If you do this, then it would be my new most anticipated AAA game. But if it's regrettably FPS like, then at least it won't be such a monumental letdown for me when I finally find out.

Some 1st person games give me motion sickness as well.  Sometimes I can improve this by slowing turn speeds and stuff down in options.  But I tried to play one of the Far Crys and after about 10 minutes of driving I had to go lie down i felt so nauseous. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Some 1st person games give me motion sickness as well.  Sometimes I can improve this by slowing turn speeds and stuff down in options.  But I tried to play one of the Far Crys and after about 10 minutes of driving I had to go lie down i felt so nauseous. 

I've found motion sickness is often related to the field of view. Anything under 80 usually gives me a headache. Usually I need something around 90. At least for a PC, it can be a bit narrower for a TV across the room.

• Like 3

My solution is usually to play until I get nauseous and have to lay down (ala Amentep). While sleeping it off my brain adjusts and I’m ok from that point forward. I’ll have to try tweeking the FOV to see if that helps.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I think the motion sickness you experienced driving around in Far Cry had less to do with it being in 1st person and more to do with just how utterly terrible Far Cry's driving/flying mechanics are.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yeah, I never had motion sickness but some 1st person games used to make me feel uncomfortable. Thanks to TB preaching (RIP cynical Brit) I started using higher FoV (preferably around 90) and never felt that ever since.

As far perspective, I find both work well for certain games. I am happy that Cyberpunk goes FP as it seems gun focused.

There is one game which did not TP and FP well at the same time and it’s - Jedi Outcast. That is if you use FP for shooting and TP for sabre - the other way around is horrible.

I also adjust the FoV to help with Motion Sickness. Another thing that helped me was spending the money on a 120-144hz monitor, and a graphics card that can get into that fps range. If you can afford it... It helps. The difference of 30fps to getting close to or above 100fps seems to be my sweet spot. Ymmv.

Motion sickness and headaches are why I have quit playing console games for the most part. Those low FPS and low FoV really do me in. Frame hitching in any first or third person game will make me woozy almost immediately. So I did my best to eliminate it. Some games are less optimized though.

• Like 1

So just yesterday I found out after 5 years of waiting and anticipation that CPR's Cyberpunk 2077 will only have a 1st person perspective outside of cutscenes. This really tore my heart to pieces not because I have a problem with FPS in general, but because I cannot for the life of me survive longer than two hours playing with this kind of POV without having to go to the crapper to vomit. Literally. 

I have had this for years, but not with every FPP title—and I suspect a lot of research went into the ones that I don't have a problem playing.

FPP titles that have the camera slip/slide through the level, frictionless are definitely culprits here; FoV has been mentioned already.  I love Quake, but cannot play Quake 2; can't play Battlefield 1942. I can play the Rise of the Triad reboot, but not the original.  Forcing myself to play a game that affects me this way, always follows the same stages; first a mild hint of a headache (my first clue the game will be unplayable), then a definite headache, then disorienting nausea, and finally the desperate need to lie down (in misery) until the symptoms fade. I have never let it go further—where vomiting might occur.   Thankfully for me, it's become less frequent with the more recent FPP games (probably them doing something about alleviating this for most people). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

http://w3.uqo.ca/cyberpsy/en/cyberma_en.htm

Edited by Gizmo

Given that the game will involve lots of looking at in-game screens, I don't see how 1st person could have been avoided. You can't read a screen when your character's big fat head is in the way.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

So just yesterday I found out after 5 years of waiting and anticipation that CPR's Cyberpunk 2077 will only have a 1st person perspective outside of cutscenes. This really tore my heart to pieces not because I have a problem with FPS in general, but because I cannot for the life of me survive longer than two hours playing with this kind of POV without having to go to the crapper to vomit. Literally. 

I have had this for years, but not with every FPP title—and I suspect a lot of research went into the ones that I don't have a problem playing.

FPP titles that have the camera slip/slide through the level, frictionless are definitely culprits here; FoV has been mentioned already.  I love Quake, but cannot play Quake 2; can't play Battlefield 1942. I can play the Rise of the Triad reboot, but not the original.  Forcing myself to play a game that affects me this way, always follows the same stages; first a mild hint of a headache (my first clue the game will be unplayable), then a definite headache, then disorienting nausea, and finally the desperate need to lie down (in misery) until the symptoms fade. I have never let it go further—where vomiting might occur.   Thankfully for me, it's become less frequent with the more recent FPP games (probably them doing something about alleviating this for most people). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

http://w3.uqo.ca/cyberpsy/en/cyberma_en.htm

Wow, now this is what I would call a dedicated player!

I, personally, simply gave up. No matter how good the game is - it's not worth for me having nausea. Not to mention, at any attempt to play something like this I immediately develop conditioning so in like three attempts even the music from the game can trigger motion sickness. May be I just got a very sever case, but doubt I am the only one like that. Either way, there are people who simply can not fight it, so, my admiration to your incredible will power!