Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Two handed swords? Whispers of the EP

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1419 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Some question for version 1.1:

- Does the AoE use additional effects like:

+ damage bonus from sneak attack or soul whip,

+ apply status effects e.g. when using crippling strike

+ generate focus for ciphers or wounds for shattered pillar

+ cause carnage

+ maybe other things?

- The same question for other weapons that can hit in an AoE or the attack can jump to another target

Zoso der Goldene

Zoso der Goldene

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

+ cause carnage

+ maybe other things?

- The same question for other weapons that can hit in an AoE or the attack can jump to another target

Sneak attack, soul whip: Yes

Status Effect: Yes

Generate Focus: Yes

Carnage: Not sure; I guess Yes

Other Weapons: I'm not aware of any that work just like it; I know that the Rod Modal doesn't - I guess the damage does not count as direct weapon damage

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1419 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

+ cause carnage

+ maybe other things?

Other Weapons: I'm not aware of any that work just like it; I know that the Rod Modal doesn't - I guess the damage does not count as direct weapon damage

In this case the weapon seems to be very useful when fighting several enemies.

So if you have a char who uses 2h weapons and several enemies stand close to each other you use WotEP and you switch to another 2h weapon when fighting only a single enemy.

Zoso der Goldene

Zoso der Goldene

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

+ cause carnage

+ maybe other things?

In this case the weapon seems to be very useful when fighting several enemies.

So if you have a char who uses 2h weapons and several enemies stand close to each other you use WotEP and you switch to another 2h weapon when fighting only a single enemy.

I switch between WotEP and dual-wielding (Rapier or Sword in the main hand, Dagger in the Off Hand).

I open dual-wielding from stealth (Lover's Embrace adds a nice bonus there) to generate Focus and make use of the Full Attack with Crippling Strike.

To be clear (Boeroer mentioned this above), Backstab is only applied once, but that goes for dual-wielding as well. I guess the rationale is that you really only strike from stealth once.

Edited by Zoso der Goldene, 14 June 2018 - 05:53 AM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2482 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you can stun several enemy with WotEP then it is good, the only class that can do it is Monk with stunning strike. But ironically monk can spam Torment Raise so it doesn't matter what weapon u use.

Btw if AOE damage is not high enough, taking down single target is always more efficient because the faster you take down single target, the less damage pressure you have in the combat.

Zoso der Goldene

Zoso der Goldene

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If you can stun several enemy with WotEP then it is good, the only class that can do it is Monk with stunning strike. But ironically monk can spam Torment Raise so it doesn't matter what weapon u use.

Btw if AOE damage is not high enough, taking down single target is always more efficient because the faster you take down single target, the less damage pressure you have in the combat.

Did Fighter's Power Strike change? Or did I misread "the only class that can do it"?

Abel

Abel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I use it on a Spellblade Aloth on PotD (where there are lots of enemies) and with high INT, a Ring of Overseeing and Aloth's armor I can attack up to five enemies often and usually three minimum. Depends on positioning though. I can also use Pull of Eora to create a ball of foes which I can all affect with stuff like Arterial Strike or Confounding Blind or so. Or even Devastating Blow (which is kind of cool with a low AoE dmg weapon because overkill is less of an issue). I also use Offensive Parry because Aloth as a wizard can reach very high defection with Mirrored Image/Wizards' Double/Arcane Veil and stacked deflection items. For me, the sword works still wonderfully well. But it certainly is more of a niche item now.

It's also still nice with Swift Flurry+Heartbeat Drumming and Stunning Blows by the way.

Looks like you need to be a "Builds God" to be able to use it properly. I very much like special items with special effects though. Pillars 1 lacked this at first. If i end up actually playing the game, i may be able to grasp enough about it to use this weapon really efficiently in my 23th playthrough. Which is actually fine by me. Because this means that there will always be something new for me to master in the game. Even in 10 years :p. I will probably start using items with simple, flat out bonuses though.

EDIT: Actually, true problem may be that if they're going to make such niche items like this, they need to make like, way more unique items as a whole. If i think about Pillars 1 or the Pillars 2 wiki, at the end of the day, they may lack a variety of more straightforward options, equipement wise.

Edited by Abel, 14 June 2018 - 08:36 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The unique AoE Pollaxe also works like WotEP when it comes to applying afflictons like Stunning Blows or Crippling Strike or whatever in an AoE. It also has reduced base damage like the WotEP. It also still works with Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming. I use it on Xoti. My goal is to use it with Instruments of Pain. I'm curious if that will work as I expect.

Edited by Boeroer, 14 June 2018 - 10:59 AM.

Abel

Abel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was never able to find a way to use properly the rapier "Spelltongue" in Pillars 1. Altough the increasing of effect duration seemed quite powerful at first, i could only imagine it being usefull on some kind of multiclassed caster/fighter. Well, i never got past the end of Act 2 , and never played White March part II (and may never do so), which may not help. Even though my playthrough is about 150 or maybe 200 hours long right now. But well, i almost wrote a novella worth of entries in the the personal diary of my MC, which is quite time consuming :p

Still, if some base mechanics of Pillars 2 end up being changed along the way, i will probably try to play the game someday, and thus, give Pillars 1 another try. And may learn some new things while doing so.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Spelltongue + Barb = https://forums.obsid...me-bandit-tank/
  • Abel likes this

Abel

Abel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank for this. I actually thought about using it on my simulated multiclassed priestess/fighter. But Eothas does not really allow other one handers than flails (which are the worst ones in my opinion, especially against crush resistant foes), and priests in Pillars lack the self buffs BG ones had. Maybe i shouldn't have picked the Eothas perk, and relied on the accurate 1 thing of Spelltongue instead, but for a Eothas priestess, this did not felt right to me not to pick it. I wish i could try it out in Deadfire now that actual multiclassing is there.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Actually flails are among the best dps weapons for auto-attacks in PoE (crush resistant/immune foes aside). Mainly because they are fast (and the fast weapons have better dps in general) and because there are two very good unique ones (Starcaller - stunning, spell striking, Unforgiven - speed) that both have an inherent 10% burning lash on top of any normal 25% elemental lash you can put on.

Abel

Abel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, yeah... Still with low Might, the amounts of damage are ridiculous (often 2-5). That's why i tried to improve things with high dex and the shield with tattered veil proc. While using ''halt'' first thing, then trying to stun lock the target with the flail and high dexterity, in order to chain crit with both the weapon and the shield's spell.

Still, it's a bit far fetched, and not always effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users