Two handed swords? Whispers of the EP

So i got WOTEP

The base damage is nearly half of what Pike does. I think greatsword 15-20,   Pike 20- 30.

The great sword does two weapon types and the pike only one but IMO it appears that the greatswords base damage is far to low. Halving the base damage is way to much to compensate for the two weapon types.

What does everyone think about WOTEP? Iwhat id the best upgrade for it?

thanks

Edited by antman45454

Was going to create a topic about this right now. But I think it should be in the spoiler section.

Is this working as intended? Or did I just wasted 3.000 copper?

Spoilers below.

whispers.jpg

yeah thats a bug did you report it?

just reported it then

Edited by antman45454

Do you mean the two additional active abilities gained by enchanting it? They are mutually exclusive upgrades that are usable once per encounter. The other upgrades have you choose between a deflection bonus with a riposte, or a stacking speed bonus, both of which apply during an entire encounter.

• Like 1

Do you mean the two additional active abilities gained by enchanting it? They are mutually exclusive upgrades that are usable once per encounter. The other upgrades have you choose between a deflection bonus with a riposte, or a stacking speed bonus, both of which apply during an entire encounter.

Ok, interesting. What about the cone, is it once per encounter too?

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Pretty sure that’s the trade off for hitting multiple enemies in a foe-only cone, including class abilities like crippling blow, etc. I really dug it when using my battlemage.

Can anyone confirm this? 

Highly unusual to halve the base damage of a weapon just to get another benefit?

Was going to create a topic about this right now. But I think it should be in the spoiler section.

Is this working as intended? Or did I just wasted 3.000 copper?

Yes, this topic should be in a spoiler section, probably the one about builds and mechanics.  Or in the case of your post, maybe the bug reports?

The tradeoff is crummy now IMO. The poleaxe is much easier to use because it is just a circle. I would much rather they have kept the old effect and added a decent deflection penalty, then if you wanted to go counterattack then you could trade the aoe and deflection penalty for it. 

This is not a bug, the low base damage is trade for it's cone attack. But I think the damage is a bit too low that discourage me on using it, 2h weapons are already inferior to dual wielding anyway, they should have crazy stats.

Does the cone attack happen in every strike?

Yes, the cone is every attack and is foe-only currently.

• Like 1

WotEP has a base damage of 9-15 (normal greatsword is 15-24) but before the recent patch it hit the target twice, so essentially it worked as doing bonus aoe damage in the cone and roughly base damage to the target. Needless to say the nerf killed it's single target potential and pushed it into a very niche category. I suggest you use this mod if you want to use the weapon https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/75

best upgrade depends on build and preference, I like the impale attack and stacking recovery reduction for mainline Battlemage and he really ****ed **** up pre-patch.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This is not a bug, the low base damage is trade for it's cone attack. But I think the damage is a bit too low that discourage me on using it, 2h weapons are already inferior to dual wielding anyway, they should have crazy stats.

Doesn't really matter, if people think it is a bug, report it.  What's the worst that will happen?  Obsidian will reply saying it is by design.  Then we will know for sure.

WotEP has a base damage of 9-15 (normal greatsword is 15-24) but before the recent patch it hit the target twice, so essentially it worked as doing bonus aoe damage in the cone and roughly base damage to the target. Needless to say the nerf killed it's single target potential and pushed it into a very niche category. I suggest you use this mod if you want to use the weapon https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/75

best upgrade depends on build and preference, I like the impale attack and stacking recovery reduction for mainline Battlemage and he really ****ed **** up pre-patch.

its pretty sad that people have to use mods just to make weapons useable.

The trade off is no where near worth it. You lose double the passive damage . 

Man i have tried so many times to play this game and have stopped and given up due to either bugs or stupid balancing like this

This game is a mess

With the cone you can apply ability effects in an AoE. With high INT and other AoE mods like Overseeing you can hit a lot of people if your using it cleverly. Offensive Parry enchantment is very powerful, too (100% Riposte in an AoE).

The weapon was everybody's darling pre 1.1 - which is a balancing problem. A nerf was inevitable. But I agree that the base damage is too low. I personally would have decided to go with normal base damage but make it slower than a normal great sword - it's huge. That would have the same effect on dps but wouldn't feel so ridiculous (why is that huge blade dealing so tiny damage?).

Or I would allow Run Through multiple times per encounter to make it more decent vs single targets. Run Through has high base damage (try it with Assassinate/Backstab). It it wasn't 1/encounter but maybe 3 or so I would be happy as well. Run Through is not mutually exclusive with Offensive Parry or the circle swing enchantment.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

yeah i saw offensive parry it does look really powerful

but the realty is most of the time your either going to be attacking one target or not positioned properly for the cone to affect more then one target. 

Completely bizare, stupid, stupid ,nerf to add to a weapon. Its doing the same amount of damage as dagger but with the slow action and recovery as a great sword

Why the Fck would someone use this in its current state?

Edited by antman45454

I use it on a Spellblade Aloth on PotD (where there are lots of enemies) and with high INT, a Ring of Overseeing and Aloth's armor I can attack up to five enemies often and usually three minimum. Depends on positioning though. I can also use Pull of Eora to create a ball of foes which I can all affect with stuff like Arterial Strike or Confounding Blind or so. Or even Devastating Blow (which is kind of cool with a low AoE dmg weapon because overkill is less of an issue). I also use Offensive Parry because Aloth as a wizard can reach very high defection with Mirrored Image/Wizards' Double/Arcane Veil and stacked deflection items. For me, the sword works still wonderfully well. But it certainly is more of a niche item now.

It's also still nice with Swift Flurry+Heartbeat Drumming and Stunning Blows by the way.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pretty sure that’s the trade off for hitting multiple enemies in a foe-only cone, including class abilities like crippling blow, etc. I really dug it when using my battlemage.

* The cone is not foe-only (or did that change in 1.1?).

* If you attack only one foe, you hit twice (that was supposed to go away with 1.1, but for me, it still does - maybe that's different in a new playthrough?)

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard

Yes.

the_ultimate.png

yeah i saw offensive parry it does look really powerful

but the realty is most of the time your either going to be attacking one target or not positioned properly for the cone to affect more then one target. 

Completely bizare, stupid, stupid ,nerf to add to a weapon. Its doing the same amount of damage as dagger but with the slow action and recovery as a great sword

Why the Fck would someone use this in its current state?

I do. It allows me to use Empowered Soul Annihilation, Backstab, Sneak Attack, & Savage Attack on 4-5 targets in one strike.

Or use the spinning attack and get to 100% focus or above in one spin.

High INT helps to hit as many as possible in both cases.

Edited by Zoso der Goldene
  • Like 1

the_ultimate.png

* The cone is not foe-only (or did that change in 1.1?).

* If you attack only one foe, you hit twice (that was supposed to go away with 1.1, but for me, it still does - maybe that's different in a new playthrough?)

hang on hang on

your saying the cone attack hits friends and foes?

and

If you hit one person it hits them twice??? how does this work?

Edited by antman45454