What are the power-gaming choices for creating a custom history?

For my first Deadfire playthrough I imported my PoE save, and there were some definite downsides to the choices I had made. I didn't have access to the Devil of Caroc Breastplate and at one point Wael made me lose all my scrolls. I have no complaints about this, and in particular found the loss of scrolls highly amusing. But going forward I would like to understand the optimal choices so I can strike an appropriate balance between power-gaming and role-playing for a given run.

I would greatly appreciate some insight into which choices impact gameplay beyond merely altering plot/conversations. A list of no-brainer choices that are pure upside (e.g. Devil of Caroc spared Harmke) would be fantastic. Opinions on the choices that offer mutually exlcusive benefits (e.g. Aloth's Leaden Key decision) would also be helpful.

Out of the top of my head:

Wispers of Yenwood and Blade of the Endless Paths forged

Devil of Caroc Dead for the Breastplate (dont know if sacrifice enables the breastplate)

Sacrifice any companion not reappearing in PoE2 depending on char build.

Eder, Aloth, Pallegina Alive

Aloth rebuilds leaden key (enables headdress)

Out of the top of my head:

Wispers of Yenwood and Blade of the Endless Paths forged

Devil of Caroc Dead for the Breastplate (dont know if sacrifice enables the breastplate)

Sacrifice any companion not reappearing in PoE2 depending on char build.

Eder, Aloth, Pallegina Alive

Aloth rebuilds leaden key (enables headdress)

Sacrificing DoC does give you the breastplate, and you'll get +1 dex after Hasongo.

Is the headdress any good? I quite like the sceptre

Gift from the Machine.

If you're going to play no-rest you could consider dealing with the souls according to Hylea's wishes to get her supreme food. Well, you could consider it either way.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Sacrificing DoC does give you the breastplate, and you'll get +1 dex after Hasongo.

Is the headdress any good? I quite like the sceptre

good thing you'll get both headdress and sceptre =D

the headdress gives acc for the wearer and a will defense aura, so yes, its one of the best helms in the game and you get it super early

Sacrificing DoC does give you the breastplate, and you'll get +1 dex after Hasongo.Is the headdress any good? I quite like the sceptre

good thing you'll get both headdress and sceptre =D

the headdress gives acc for the wearer and a will defense aura, so yes, its one of the best helms in the game and you get it super early

You get both if Aloth is rebuilding the Leaden Key?

You get both if Aloth is rebuilding the Leaden Key?

95% sure, i definitely got both in a playthrough and im pretty sure that was the background i chose. home in about an hour, will see if i can make it 100%

/edit

not so sure anymore, couldn't find keybreaker scepter (sold most stuff to nekataka supplies, wasnt there, wont ship around to every other merchant right now)

Edited by CountGrishnackh

When I had Aloth take over the Leaden Key he got the headress, when I had Aloth destroy the Leaden Key he got the sceptre. Both are nice but I prefer the headress and story wise I like Aloth as the new Thaos

I gave all the souls to Woedica in my game because I thought Thaos had the right idea and got +1 power level in game I think. My PoE runs were all on a different computer so I had to use the create a backstory option and answer how I did my quests.

Is there a list somewhere that shows what happens in game based on your choices?

When I had Aloth take over the Leaden Key he got the headress, when I had Aloth destroy the Leaden Key he got the sceptre. Both are nice but I prefer the headress and story wise I like Aloth as the new Thaos

I gave all the souls to Woedica in my game because I thought Thaos had the right idea and got +1 power level in game I think. My PoE runs were all on a different computer so I had to use the create a backstory option and answer how I did my quests.

Is there a list somewhere that shows what happens in game based on your choices?

Interesting. Can anyone confirm what bonuses you get for each choice for the souls?

Hylea gives an unique food with 3 charges (start of the game), Berath gives an item with 3 charges (start of the game), Galawain weakens the dragons (they have a strong debuff called Galawain's Favor), Woedica is supposed to give +1 PL (however the conditions to activate it are unknown). Rymrgrand's and Wael's rewards are unknown.

Edited by Kaylon

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting some Obsidian attention in this thread, but so far we only know about Gift of Hope, which was supposed to be the reward for not sacrificing anyone to the blood pool but is bugged. Hopefully Soul-Power is next to receive clarification.

My Deadfire mods

The more likely thing seems to be that if we get CDiaz to ask about it, they'll say it wasn't implemented and they'll remove its game data too. Rinse repeat until there are no more talents that the community doesn't know how to get. Which currently seems to be three and they all involve evil (GftM, ER and the mutiny talent).

My Deadfire mods