What did you do today?

Gorth

I get these mails couple times per day since a week or so. It's funny because it is always the same text, but always a different translation to german.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

All I get is Russian bride spam,  sort of disappointed now

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cousin just informed me that an uncle of ours is on life support. Not sure how to feel as I don't really know him that well due to him being in prison most of my life and the few memories I do have of him are mostly negative. I may not have much good to say about him but he's still family.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Bought a simple/casual game (on sale) because it looked like an easy way to pass some time today.

Took over an hour to download the game (since I idiotically didn't take note of size of d/l before buying).

Am now no longer in the frame of mind to fire it up and actually play it.

....such is my gaming life (and attention span) in the digital era.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cousin just informed me that an uncle of ours is on life support. Not sure how to feel as I don't really know him that well due to him being in prison most of my life and the few memories I do have of him are mostly negative. I may not have much good to say about him but he's still family.

Sorry to hear that.

Not the same details in my life of course, but I do know that mixed/unsure feeling with family loss. For me it's always such a strange sensation. I usually eat more chocolate in response. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tried to figure out why a patch didn't work.  Client didn't install the patch.

aO9nso.gif

• Like 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was driving up I-49 today in Missouri. To set the stage here, the speed limit is 70 and my truck is governed at 63, so I'm going... Wait for it... Wait for it... 63 mph. I notice ahead of me a car going significantly slower than I am. This is still a ways in front of me so I have time to assess the situation. To the left of me is a car passing me but it should clear me with plenty of time for me to get in the left lane to pass the slow car. I'm also comming ip on an on-ramp with a car getting ready to merge on to the interstate, but I'll be in the left lane by the time I reach that point, si no issue there. I put my blinker on nice and early so that everyone is aware of what I'm going to do and continue approaching the car in front of me as the car to the left passes me. Then the lady in front of me ( I could see the driver at this point) does the worst thing possible and starts breaking... On an Interstate... With no one and nothing in front of her... Right in front of a tractor trailer...

jackie_chan_dafuq.jpg

I don't know if she panicked, was drunk, retarded, just plain extremely stupid... Then she starts veering into the lane to the right which is an on-ramp that will end in about 150 yards. She almost crashes into the car trying to merge onto the highway and nearly forces it off the road. At this point the car to my left has finished passing me and I go in the left lane and pass this lady actively trying to cause an accident. Somehow no one crashes and she probably wasn't trying to cause a crash on purpose, but...

/takes deep breath

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some people shouldn't have a driver's license.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Geez sounds like a sticky situation. Glad you made it out okay Keyrock!

Thanks. It continued tonight. I'm going down I-70 east when suddenly a car far in front of me does a u-turn. At first I thought it might be a cop getting ready to block the road off, but nope, it was just some sedan. This was very late on a Saturday night, so I'm going to assume this person was super drunk or high and missed their exit and instead of just taking another exit and using it to turn around and get on I-70 west they decided the smart move was to bust a U-ie on the interstate and drive in the wrong direction for a couple of miles. What could go wrong?

It's not a full moon tonight... Hmm...

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, self driving cars can't come soon enough. Don't worry Keyrock, your job is still safe. Someone still needs to sit in front of the computer and tell it where to go. ;-)

I don't know about Keyrock, but all of the lorrydrivers that I've spoken to on that subject has been vehemently against it. They want people to actually pay attention in traffic. The auto-driving systems that are around today people cheat with so that they can fiddle with phones or watch movies in the car. As soon as there is something unexpected that comes up that a driver could handle but computers can't they usually end up in a ditch.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

People will never pay attention in traffic though. If all cars are self driving, then the odds of something unexpected happening go down significantly. Auto-driving systems can be improved while human attention spans just seem to be getting worse.

• Like 1

That might help on interstates, but when you get into city traffic - well you've still got distracted pedestrians and cyclists for your computer to deal with.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

People will never pay attention in traffic though. If all cars are self driving, then the odds of something unexpected happening go down significantly. Auto-driving systems can be improved while human attention spans just seem to be getting worse.

No, but giving systems to cars where they never have to pay attention will make things worse. Humans are flexible, computers are not, add in cybervulnerability aswell since they will probably have to be connected to the internet and you have a recipe for disaster.

I wholeheartedly agree about people though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Embraced inner gopnik by wearing my Adidas track top to work as my warmer coats are deep in storage

• Like 1

Self-driving trucks will eventually replace the trucker workforce, but I'm not worried about it. No way it happens before I retire and, quite frankly, I'll be surprised if it happens during my lifetime.

Self-driving passenger cars are still well over a decade from hitting the mainstream; probably 20+ years away. Tractor trailers will be at least a decade behind that because of the unique systems and challenges that come with a combination vehicle and because you better make damn sure you have the software completely rock solid and bug free before you put a bunch of (up to) 40 ton behemoths on the roads driving themselves.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Self-driving trucks will eventually replace the trucker workforce, but I'm not worried about it. No way it happens before I retire and, quite frankly, I'll be surprised if it happens during my lifetime.

Self-driving passenger cars are still well over a decade from hitting the mainstream; probably 20+ years away. Tractor trailers will be at least a decade behind that because of the unique systems and challenges that come with a combination vehicle and because you better make damn sure you have the software completely rock solid and bug free before you put a bunch of (up to) 40 ton behemoths on the roads driving themselves.

I dread to think of driving when that happens, truckers are usually aggressive drivers out necessity. I can just image the disaster that an AI truck driver trying to switch lanes would cause.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You wouldn't be driving, and the truck would likely communicate with the cars around it as it switched lanes.

How fast? A fraction of a second makes all the difference when driving.

Maybe I'm becoming one of those DIY everything type of guys but I'd rather have my life in my hands rather than hand it over to some machine.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

You are Will Smith in I, Robot and I claim your mechanical arm

And what do you do with it? :brows:

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

I could see self-driving trucks work on these endless long, straight american roads. Not really in busy city areas, etc.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."