What did you do today?

Gorth

I've heard being in pain can help stave off addiction since your mind is working a bit differently. Personally vicodin and perc really messed me up with sleep. I'd get delusional when I was tired or while I was waking up. They didn't leave me in a good mood like the IVs did.

I am pretty sure my surgery gave some passive depression that wasn't there before, but I never felt addicted. Mostly repulsed at the meds. I also think it made me slightly masochistic, since I enjoy trying to fight through pain up to a point.

Imo skeletal muscle pain > mental pain > joint paint, as in what I think is better to endure. I hear one leading cause of getting addicted is taking meds for joint pain. Just anecdotes, but I'd challenge yourself to face the natural pain if only for machismo points.

I can see that for joint pain. If it's bad enough (which it often is in my case), it feels utterly debilitating, which is super frustrating and sometimes agonizing when you simply cannot do what you feel you need to.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Thanks again guys

Slightly concerned about the meds they gave me. I've never really had pain meds before (because you can't hurt steel). You never know how short the road is from children's aspirin to shooting heroin directly into your eye

Weed ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The worst pain I ever endured was nerve pain from a slightly pinched nerve in my neck. And my neck didn't hurt, it manifest as left shoulder and arm pain. It...was...unrelenting. No break. I even tried acupuncture! My wife finally dragged me to urgent care and they gave me a pain shot in the butt, came back in a few minutes and looked at me and gave me another one, then hello darkness my old friend, I felt better. A round of steroids and a bottle of happy pills and I was right as rain.

I had several lipomas removed but if anyone asks I tell them I had testicular rejuvenation. The incisions aren't that deep just numerous. They probably aren't cancerous but since I have a long family history of cancer and I developed them pretty quickly they wanted to remove and biopsy them just in case.

They gave me a bottle oxycodone for the pain

Free games updated 3/4/21

I have a few bottles of oxycodone lying around the house. They are a hassle to dispose of.

If they're full I suggest teenagers.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Slow day at work, so wasted it watching people rant about Star Wars.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Slow day at work, so wasted it watching people rant about Star Wars.

I am always amazed at how often THAT happens.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am always amazed at how often THAT happens.

I shouldn't be, but am amazed at how many videos there are, dudes ranting about everything - why the First Order isn't threatening because they yell a lot, or how Kennedy is evil, etc. Are some interesting analyses (never get to use that word enough) though, I think smudboy - that dude who did the Mass Effect ones that were a bit nitpicky at times - did one, will have to watch that.

I saw that one about the First Order not being threatening. Jeremy Jahns is one of my go-to reviewers but lately I feel he seems a little bitter. I hope he's doing okay. Then again, I've noticed all youtube personalities have a period of bitterness as their channels grow.

The guys I work with are either scientists or young interns on the road to becoming bureaucrats. It always strikes me as funny how much they remind me of the guys on the Big Bang show. I'm used to working around engineers. We drink (often excessively), swear every other word, and harbor a deep seated suspicion of anyone who can't explain the Square-Cube law. But while engineers are collegial, they are not really social. not a lot of small talk or even professional collaboration in the working environments I was used to. They guys I work with now collaborate on everything. And chit-chat is common. Star Wars, Star Trek & the superhero movies are common topics. And I mean they get really in depth talking about it. I didn't see The Last Jedi until it came out on DVD. That was a big surprise to some of my teammates. Then when I said I liked it that was an even BIGGER surprise.

When I first started working here I was a little put off by how it was around here. But the truth is these are some extremely intelligent people doing a job they are underpaid for. But, the job does have some very nice perks. Not the least of which is the near total absence of deadline stress.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Some back-history - hubby's had this one van for like 2 decades. He loves (loves) this van (many a vacation trip we did in it too) but it's old and super high mileage, he's sunk money into it already, and it's hard to find ppl selling one, etc. A few years or more ago he bought a similar one (some years newer, it was bigger) thinking it'd replace it. It wasn't the same/he didn't like, we eventually got rid of it and he went back to the original van. I keep telling him to just get something else, anything else, a truck or whatever but nope. Yesterday hubby came home early afternoon to "pester" me. He came with his laptop in hand.

Hubby: "I want something." (this is his way of saying it's not a $5-$300 thingie - his laptop shows webpage of a white van for sale, from a dealer)

Me: *rolling eyes* "Let me guess, it's like your baby. How much."

Hubby: "$7000...fairly low miles, couple years newer than mine but almost exactly the same (unlike the other one we tried)."

Me: "Not like we're poor, I know you want a replacement, go for it."

Hubby: "Well...see...it's in L.A. (Los Angeles - we are in San Francisco Bay Area).

Me: * ... silence.... * .... "That's rather far, how are you going to get it."

(some discussion later re: cost of flights - apparently very few direct to l.a. now, stopovers in TX or something - dislike of airports/flying, 6+hr drive back etc)

Me: "Can they deliver it."

Apparently they can/will so in a week or so it'll be delivered. All told cost maybe around $8500.

I have never known anyone with such a *bleepbleep* for a non-collector/sports/classic vehicle as hubby does for this ordinary 90's van. At this point it's just amusing. Well...hopefully this is the "one" and he can finally stop thinking about what he's going to do if his original blue one breaks down. Either that or we'll have to sell it again and take a loss again. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have never known anyone with such a *bleepbleep* for a non-collector/sports/classic vehicle as hubby does for this ordinary 90's van. 

ok.  this is how you know something is wrong with Gromnir, on multiple levels.

blue panel van. movie were early 90s. first thing comes to mind when you mention unusual obsession with aging blue van from 90s were the 'bove scene from, the silence of the lambs

oh well. maybe show hubby the scene 'bove and it will creep him out enough to make him abandon his van love.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well my RV is over a decade now and has its fair share of issues, but I still love it. Speaking of which, we are on a trip right now. Not quite epic enough to create a big thread, but I did bring bikes for the first time and went on a great long ride to the beach today.

36842238_10212374964433905_3673614536201

Also got lucky with a jeep for a rental car. :)

• Like 3

It's not just about liking a car I think. I like my car/past cars too. I'm just not obsessive about it.

I've outright told him to have someone drop a new engine into the original van/go all out fixing that one up since he loves it so much etc. and he hems and haws and says it might cost 10-12 grand ... but then he's fine with impulsively spending near nine grand to have one delivered sight unseen from LA. Which makes little sense to me. But like I said ... while I used to find this oddball obsession a little annoying, I suppose because I don't really understand it, it's just amusing now. He can do whatever he wants, nothing off my nose. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm sitting at the dentist right now. Will probably take a couple hours. Had slight pain already the past few weeks, but always ignored it. Yesterday I've noticed that the pain got stronger... didn't want to risk it further, so here I am now. :/

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm sitting at the dentist right now. Will probably take a couple hours. Had slight pain already the past few weeks, but always ignored it. Yesterday I've noticed that the pain got stronger... didn't want to risk it further, so here I am now. :/

Have you had wisdom teeth out already? If not, could be something like that. At any rate, hope it's something relatively simple like a bad cavity. :D

Got em out since over 10 years now (all 4). I'm back at work now... dentist couldn't find anything. This sucks, because I still feel some pain. No idea what now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've got the same thing with my volvo 940 -98. I love that car and I've put like 7000$ into a car bought for 2300$... and I have plans for 10000$ more. Not counting repairs...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Huh, I would have figured a property like that in France would cost more than ~$550,000. Very interesting design and a history going back to the 1300's! I wonder how many ghosts are up in there?

It is reasonable, I hope a decision is made to buy it...yes we all have to contribute but end of the day I think its worth it

I looked at the cheese shops in Paris...I love cheese  :biggrin:

https://www.thegoodlifefrance.com/some-of-the-best-cheese-shops-in-paris/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela