What did you do today?

Gorth

Oh yes, and happy Brexit 1776 to you colonials out there.. ;)

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Going fishing today

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Heat wave is the best kind of wave.

:getlost:

Going fishing today

Catch and release or are you eating fish for dinner?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My cat died today. RIP Bart (coincidental name - I did not name him, and actually he's old enough to pre-date my usage of this name). You were the worst cat in the history of cats, but you were my worst cat. I recently re-calculated his age, and he was around 15-16 years old, which is a pretty decent age for a cat that's had as many chronic health issues as he had.

Rest in peace, Bart. My condolences. :(

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Heat wave is the best kind of wave.

:getlost:

Going fishing today

Catch and release or are you eating fish for dinner?

Well, today the fish made the choice for me. Not even a nibble. But otherwise it really depends on what I catch and how big it is. Cleaning fish is a pain in the rear. So if I'm going to keep them they have to be big enough to be worth the trouble. Speck, small mouth bass, and bream are the most common cooking fish in the Hatchee river system which the creeks near my house are part of. Catfish are a bit more rare. Usually I only catch them on live bait when the Mississippi is up. Right now it's not. It's a treat when you do though. River cats are pretty big. You can easily get two or three meals from one. And they put up a hell of a fight. Bream I can catch all day long but they are small and bony so I usually release them. Dumb too. I'm positive I've caught the same fish multiple times. As for speck & bass, it comes down to how they are biting and who big they are. I release more than I keep.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finally got my weights today. Just some beginner stuff, but boy am I weak. Will take me some time to get used to.

Not that I am an expert but I can say this for sure: Consistency beats spikes; its a lot better if you do what you can rather than push yourself past the point where next day you can't do anything. There is a sweet point between effort and caution that you have to find and its different for everybody.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So far I'm just switching between this and cycling. I'll try to do it as often as the weather and time allows for it.. cycling I mean.

My next planned tours (18km round) are on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday a double (35km). Last month I did 160km in total, this month I want to reach 200km at least.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On the topic of cycling, I've been working pretty hard to get better at it. It's kind of like a video game right now. I'm still pretty low level, so I keep grinding away at hills trying to get stronger and more proficient. I do this one group ride that is just way more advanced than I am. I basically keep pace with them out of town, then we start the first climb and I slowly drop to the back of the pack. As soon as they hit the descent, I lose sight of them. If I work really hard I can catch them at the top of the next hill because they regroup, but then I get dropped again. It's pretty intense. They average around 24-25 mph around the whole route (40kph) while I'm closer to 20 mph, so I've got a lot of work to do.

Still, I'm loving the challenge.  

Endomondo says I do ~22.84 km/h. It didn't really changed from 3 years ago when I did lots of cycling as well. I'd love to get faster, but then again, I'm not really doing it for the speed, and also I have a truckton of crossroads and roundabouts to care about on my track, which always make me having to wait... this sucks. The town I lived in before had lots of great bike lanes, so you didn't even had to ride on the streets... wish I had this back now.

Oh yeah, and I stopped counting the amount of flat tires I got since I am living in he new place. Seriously, it's like I get a flat at least once every three months. It's b.s. and just pisses me off by now.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Wow, the world's ending outside at the moment.

Or at least it sure sounds like it. Massive rain, storms, good old hail. Damn.

edit:

Nope, cancel the apocalyptic suicides guys. It only lasted for four minutes.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Endomondo says I do ~22.84 km/h. It didn't really changed from 3 years ago when I did lots of cycling as well. I'd love to get faster, but then again, I'm not really doing it for the speed, and also I have a truckton of crossroads and roundabouts to care about on my track, which always make me having to wait... this sucks. The town I lived in before had lots of great bike lanes, so you didn't even had to ride on the streets... wish I had this back now.

Oh yeah, and I stopped counting the amount of flat tires I got since I am living in he new place. Seriously, it's like I get a flat at least once every three months. It's b.s. and just pisses me off by now.

I had to replace the windscreen on my car today because of the condition of the roads here, it cracked from the holes in the road (I think). I upgraded my shock absorbers last autumn, and I do love them, but ****ing hell does it bring out every bump in the road. I knew there were some really bad ones before I upgraded but I've had to drive over them a couple of times and some of them damn well makes the car feel as if it is about to flip over.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think my hubby has been abducted by aliens. Fell asleep watching some internet TV, woke up and his wallet, keys, etc. are where they always are, both cars are here, all doors are locked, not in backyard or in the house/garage, called his name many times.

:disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well hubby was returned to me unharmed a couple hours later. They were kind aliens who just wanted a long cup o' tea and a chat. *wink

In other news, since the neighbors on one side cut down huge swaths of tall mini-trees in their yard, the city Fireworks show was quite visible while just standing in our backyard. There's still a few trees that keep it from being an entirely clear view, but it was quite adequate. Nice to have a free show while sipping a drink on a summer night. Sadly the only video camera I have is the cheap Powershot camera, which results in fuzzy night footage. Looks sorta ok on the tiny LCD screen, but otherwise...

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Trying to help my wife with her school work. It's all the same material that I had in my school when I took the same/similar courses but she has probably 3 times the amount of work that I had to do. Her school is a community college so I'm no sure why they are giving her so much more busy work than I had at my regular 4 year school. I can see why someone starting at her school would feel scared to continue on for more education though

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Community college professors are more insecure about their jobs, and so they justify it with more work.

Sounds like corporate stooges.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Been busy the last few days. I finished planting the fall garden this morning. Winter squash, pumpkins, acorn squash, butter beans, and  a mixed plot of jalapenos and sweet peppers. They are in starter trays. They won't go in the ground until the plants are established.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Today I learnt how to pick a padlock and was able to do it and it took only about 20 minutes. Incidentally I've lost complete faith on the accuracy of video games as none of the picks I used broke and in fact it worked better the more I turned the wrench. Video games have been lying about lockpicks for years.

• Like 4

village_idiot.gif

Been doing work for Disney Imagineering. Leveled up from building computer rigs to building robots and animatronics. Cable management on a PC is one thing, but cable management on a robot that moves (and can rip it's own cables out!) is something else

• Like 6

Trying to help my wife with her school work. It's all the same material that I had in my school when I took the same/similar courses but she has probably 3 times the amount of work that I had to do. Her school is a community college so I'm no sure why they are giving her so much more busy work than I had at my regular 4 year school. I can see why someone starting at her school would feel scared to continue on for more education though

got an acquaintance who teaches at a community college; she has been at the same school for a number o' years.  last year we had one o' those, "in my day..." conversations with her 'bout how higher education has changed over the last couple of decades.  'ccording to our friend, high school students today is missing basic study, writing and analytical skills they had compared to Gromnir's day.  sure, shady ain't as old as is us, but am suspecting he missed the educational baggage which came with nclb and other similar attempts at educational reform.

nowadays, even at good public Universities, 1st year classes is often taught as if they is remedial work.  reason being incoming freshman who graduated top quarter or even top 10% o' their class frequent don't have basic study and learning skills.  teach a University liberal arts class as Gromnir recollects with a midterm, final and perhaps a couple papers would prove disastrous for the average 2017 high school graduate. do same today as in late 80s... midterm grades is posted and nearly everybody would fail.  at a community college, most all those fails would either drop the class or quit school entire. students today need far more guidance than their peers from earlier decades. if the typical 2017-2018 student ain't led by the nose to specific answers, they cannot find such answers, and they sure as hell ain't gonna do their own analysis to generate answers which is absent from texts.  

as for writing skills... *groan* 

we got a looksee at mid-term bluebooks.  is actual how the conversation started.  we made some crack 'bout how our friend were getting free money to spout nonsense for three hours a week and maybe grade a single paper per student each semester. "was your mid-term even blue book or did you go pure sloth with a scantron test?"  the professor showed Gromnir blue books from the midterm.

https://www.usnews.com/education/community-colleges/sacramento-city-college-CC07389

the transfer rate is 'bout the same for all sac area community colleges.  biggest difference we saw for sccc were as follows: entering students who are full-time first-time undergraduates--  89%.

were strange.  reading multiple blue books, hoping the next would be better than the last... but not genuine expecting improvement.

shoulda' been, at the very least, a mildly horrifying moment to be realizing just how ill-prepared is many students who intend to eventual transfer to a four-year university, but we were just kinda numb.  

in any event, more busy work is, in part, a reaction to lack o' preparedness o' the ordinary incoming community college student. teachers at cc know what will be results if they don't guide students more than were common in our day.  provide students with basic tools to hopeful self-teach is not a viable option for folks who has never genuine been taught how to think, or learn.  assume dewy-eyed kids will teach themselves up for the mid-term would be naive... and a bit cruel.  as such, the busy work is less 'bout busy, but is instead a continuation o' the only method by which many these kids has ever been taught.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Been doing work for Disney Imagineering. Leveled up from building computer rigs to building robots and animatronics. Cable management on a PC is one thing, but cable management on a robot that moves (and can rip it's own cables out!) is something else

That's awesome. Theme park imagineering has all the cool aspects of technologic and aesthetic design, people don't give it enough credit.

• Like 3

Goddamn weather services! At 7am this morning, they said we'd have thunderstorms and torrential rain around 12:00. 3 hours later they moved it to 17:00, now it's 1700 hours and there is barely a cloud!

;_;