What did you do today?

Gorth

My boss has done f'd up by me today, so unless I get a 25% raise on my salary and my work hours I need on monday I'm quitting. Already have a new job lined up that will sustain me for a while incase that happens. Let's see who needs who the most, if they want me to come in and save their asses it's 500$ per day.

I'm going to enjoy f'ing them in the ass after all the **** I've put up with, but I do feel bad for the guy that was supposed to become my new boss (The old bosses has continuously kept pushing the date forward for when he's supposed to take over) that is going to be left with one hell of a mess to clean up.

(A 25% increase would put me at a little less than what a lorry driver would make working 9-5, which is essentially exactly what I am, except I have more to keep track of)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Generally speaking, "teaching the company a lesson" will fail. Nobody is irreplaceable and you can bet that theres someone else who would be happy to have your position. By all means, if youre unhappy and have an alternative job, you should go. I just dont want to see you shoot yourself in the foot because you are angry. :)

My cat died today. RIP Bart (coincidental name - I did not name him, and actually he's old enough to pre-date my usage of this name). You were the worst cat in the history of cats, but you were my worst cat. I recently re-calculated his age, and he was around 15-16 years old, which is a pretty decent age for a cat that's had as many chronic health issues as he had.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Condolences Bart.

I pretty much lazed in the heat, read, and drank tequila flavoured beer tonight. I was curious, it actually tastes like some shandy.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

RIP Barticat :(

Generally speaking, "teaching the company a lesson" will fail. Nobody is irreplaceable and you can bet that theres someone else who would be happy to have your position. By all means, if youre unhappy and have an alternative job, you should go. I just dont want to see you shoot yourself in the foot because you are angry. :)

Irreplaceable, no, but extremely difficult to replace. They'd need to find a lorry driver that is interested in working more hours for less money than he can get from any freight company, freight companies that are so desperate for drivers that they've offered me a licence. It takes at least two weeks to train someone new, during which time they need to pull one of the normal marshals from their job to train someone, if anyone volounteers to do it; We've been looking for extra marshals for months and only two out of 150 people stepped up. At the moment we are 3 full time marshals and one reserve that has only done this for one month, next week the bosses in their infinite wisdom has sent the other regulars on 4 weeks vacation, meaning if I quit they only have one marshal and also noone to man the gatehouse, because they also have gone on vacation. And I'm not training a replacement. :)

They will have an interesting couple of weeks ahead of them.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So it took me a couple of years, but I just found out that Demon Days from Gorillaz is actually a pretty nice album.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I quit a job and was asked to come back. No one is irreplaceable, but there are some employees that some companies really don't want to lose.

Did you laugh in their face as a response ? An old company tried rehiring guys they laid off and got some really abusive responses :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I quit a job and was asked to come back. No one is irreplaceable, but there are some employees that some companies really don't want to lose. 

Ask for an insane amount of money to come back as a contractor for 3 months.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, I knew a guy who helped develop a companies software, maneuvered himself into the key position of handling it, spent a year with it and no-one else in the company could do his job, so he quit, became a "consultant" and they hired him to do exactly the same thing, but at twice the pay.

I have to admit, I both admire and despise him for that maneuvering.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, I knew a guy who helped develop a companies software, maneuvered himself into the key position of handling it, spent a year with it and no-one else in the company could do his job, so he quit, became a "consultant" and they hired him to do exactly the same thing, but at twice the pay.

I have to admit, I both admire and despise him for that maneuvering.

One of the companies I worked at when I was a gamedev had a proprietary engine maintained by their lead programmer. It was incredibly limited and everyone hated it, me included (it would only support animations exported from an ancient 3D animation program called "Animation Master" that nobody uses) but they had a massive asset library optimized for it that they didn't have the dev time to convert or leave behind. He was a jerk to everyone in the company but they couldn't get rid of him because he was the only one who knew how the engine worked.

When I left, some interns decided "we don't want to work with this crap" and started converting the asset library in their own time. When I got a promo copy of their next game, I was surprised to see "Powered by Unity" and immediately checked LinkedIn to find that, finally, this guy had gotten fired. The interns who made it possible were now on staff. :lol:

• Like 2

Did you laugh in their face as a response ? An old company tried rehiring guys they laid off and got some really abusive responses :lol:

I did come back, first on a part time basis...

Ask for an insane amount of money to come back as a contractor for 3 months.

then I asked them for a raise to stay on as a regular employee when they asked if I was interested to com back full time.

• Like 1

I've got a long time friend that got me the job I currently have, he used to be a marshal aswell, and is working over the summer, told me that if I quit my job, he's not going to cover the bosses asses and work in the yard instead of me. He's going to call them on their ****ty managing abilities not having improved since he stepped down as leader at that place.

When he was a leader over there that place ran pretty well, and it's been going downhill since then.

I think I'm going to look for some fine whisky to buy him. :)

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss Bart. That sucks.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

gonna try to survive the heat wave...Urgh

tenor.gif?itemid=4995192

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Summer sucks, I can't wait for winter :p 

Mainly as the sidewalks clear out, trying to walk home is a pain in the ass with joggers, couples walking slow holding hands, brainless kids about all slowing progress.  City layout does me no favours either so can't find a less trafficked route home - will run into a chokepoint no matter what.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finally got my weights today. Just some beginner stuff, but boy am I weak. Will take me some time to get used to.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Every summer in NYC I think 'I cannot live in this hellhole anymore' 

Every winter in NYC I think 'I cannot live in this hellhole anymore' 

and then there's one week in the Spring and one week in the Fall where I really love this city.

Edited by Krookie
  • Like 3