[1.1] Influence system and companion quests still a bit off

Osra

Question

I suspect the devs are aware of this to some degree but looks like there are still some persistent issues there.

There have been multiple instances where doing/saying just one single thing a companion character reacts positively or negatively to will gain +1 or -1 influence in their eyes and also immediately trigger a sometimes wildly out-of-the-blue conversation. For example, Tekehu and Maia can still proposition you literally within minutes from recruiting them -- and I mean, I could even believe it's somewhat in character, but it still feels kinda jarring.

Once I also let Xoti harvest some souls in the middle of some dank, dangerous swamp and she started basically Talking About Our Relationship while a bunch of forest lurkers attacked us even though as far as I'm aware, I had never encouraged her romantically in any way. It was sort of hilarious, actually.

Xoti's dialogues seem to be kinda bugged in general, I feel like her quest can proceed (or at least her quest dialogues can trigger) much faster than it probably should in relation to the main quest. Especially considering it's tied to it. For example, she seems to magically know what Eothas is up to before you've even had a second chat with him, let alone a third. I mean, sure, she's a priestess of Gaun, but... You get the picture. (And then there's the "wants to talk" icon that leads to nowhere.)

Aloth seems to be a bit better now, but he only ever seems to like Dutiful things and dislike basically everything else. I might be wrong, but I don't think even he should be quite that Stereotypically British. But I know it's a pretty huge overhaul to do to add more dispositions to him to balance things out.

Does anyone have other hiccups like these to add?

eta: D'oh, meant to post this in the main forum, not the beta forum.

Edited by Osra
  • Like 1

8 answers to this question

I felt the same about Xoti before the patch, like, she was the only companion that didn't really talk or react much in general while everyone else seemed to have some steady level of progression on their dialogues. I can't say much because the farthest I got before was little after Maia joined my party.

Another issue, also before the patch, was that she had a conversation trigger in the Old City Ruins (either after collecting Bataro's soul or after finding the explorer, can't really remember) but then didn't really say anything, which I assume is a bug. I wanted to check if that was fixed in this patch so I replayed the game up to that point, but now the game crashes on the lift to the Old City so now I can't even check.

Also, I'm not exactly sure if it's a bug, but I remember that before the patch I got an achievement for maxing out a relationship (in this case, with Xoti) but she only has a +2.

Also, I'm not exactly sure if it's a bug, but I remember that before the patch I got an achievement for maxing out a relationship (in this case, with Xoti) but she only has a +2.

Relationship scores range between -2 and +2.

Really? That's only half of the circle. Weird.

Relationship scores range between -2 and +2.

Really? That's only half of the circle. Weird.

Agreed, that's why I assumed it was bugged. Especially taking into consideration that other faction related circles go way beyond that. Not to mention, that would mean you can easily max out companion relationships as early as the beginning of the first arc. Doesn't sound very logical to me either.

I mean, I guess the other half is for the negative influence points, but since I don't think you can have both at the same time with the companions like you can with the factions (which would be kinda cool, Tyranny has that IIRC), I think it would be better if the max influence was 4 for both positive and negative.

Same issue here with Tekehu and Maia. I understand blowing up a notorious pirate while he plays his tunes is sexy, maybe they could wait until we get back on the ship.

Jokes aside, I feel that these conversations need an extra variable : not just favourable or disfavourable dispositions but also in-game time. Seems to me that this would make things more logical. IE. You think the way I do /  say things  I like (dispositions) + I mull it over (time) = I ask if you want to take that relationship somewhere else (relationship dialogue).

Long story short, companion dialogues need a lot more work. Currently, its 6/10 for me and that's because the writing is good.

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 1