If one has 15 Resolve (-15% Negative Effect time), the Ring of the Solitary Wanderer (Lone Wolf: -35% Negative Effect time), and activates the Monk ability Clarity of Mind (-5 seconds & -50% Negative Effect Time), will that make all negative effects, DoTs, etc. effectively negated completely? I suspect that it instead behaves similarly to recovery time, with each subtraction having a multiplicative, rather than additive, effect.

Regardless, I thought I would throw out this question to y'all to see if anyone knows the answer.

Sounds like a theory that you should put to the test during a little console-session. ;)

It's quite easy to determine if an affliction sticks or indeed the duration gets completey nullified. If it doesn't get nullified (means no addition but most likely multiplicative bonuses) you can see how the stacking exactly behaves.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't know if it would be an oversight. In PoE you could achieve the same with for example Crucible and Fenwalkers or Blaidh Golan. You would reduce the time of some paralyze or prone/stun afflictions to zero because the first one reduces the afflicton time by x% and a flat reduction (like -3 sec or so) while the item does this as well. On prone you would see that the animation "sit on buttocks" gets played but you immediately get up again.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

No I don't think it's possible, I tried a pure wizard build using the idea, had like 51% from resolve, 15% from naga amulet and 35% from the ring, and it did not remove all hostile effects, it was only reducing by around half actually, I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended.

If it works like the other reductions then the real coefficients are: 1/(1/0.5-1)=100%, 1/(1/0.35-1)=54% and 1/(1/0.15-1)=18% overall 172% bonus. This will be further modified by the enemy's duration bonus (depending on his intellect). Finally the negative effect will be reduced to 1/(1+1.72-%enemy bonus) of its initial duration which is probably around 40%...

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding something, but if I follow the speed calculation provided by MaxQuest, I get:

step_1 = 1/0.5 - 1 = 1

step_2 = 1/0.35 - 1 = 1.86

step_3 = 1/0.15 - 1 =  5.67

step_sum = 1 + 1.86 + 5.67 = 8.52

speed_coefficient = 8.52 + 1 = 9.52

phase_duration = 1/9.52 = 0.105

Which would imply that the duration is reduced to 10.5% of its original value. That's clearly not what Sfzrx observed though, so either I made a mistake, or there's more to it than meets the eye.

Edited by fiddlesticks

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding something, but if I follow the speed calculation provided by MaxQuest, I get:

step_1 = 1/0.5 - 1 = 1

step_2 = 1/0.35 - 1 = 1.86

step_3 = 1/0.15 - 1 =  5.67

step_sum = 1 + 1.86 + 5.67 = 8.52

speed_coefficient = 8.52 + 1 = 9.52

phase_duration = 1/9.52 = 0.105

Which would imply that the duration is reduced to 10.5% of its original value. That's clearly not what Sfzrx observed though, so either I made a mistake, or there's more to it than meets the eye.

I think Kaylon is right about how enemy's intelligence factors into the calculation, when I hit myself with chill fog the blind was like half the duration, and I think when I got hit by xaurip paralyze is was like 1/3 or 1/4, can't remember exactly, but yea, it never reached 0.

If I get time on the weekend, I'll definitely try to experiment a bit with hostile effect duration. I'm curious to see how it works.

I'd also like to know if the -5 seconds from Clarity of Mind apply before or after the percentage reduction.

Edited by fiddlesticks