Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part the Third

1st thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97310-companions-and-romance/

2nd thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100041-official-characters-and-romance-thread-spoiler-version-part-two/

Last few posts:

My experience with Xoti was quite something. I consistently encouraged her to pursue Maia, told Maia to go for Xoti, and then near the end of the game Xoti decided it was the time to talk about her feelings... for Eder. When I said that she might be a bit too young for him she suddenly got all flirty and asked who wasn't she too young for (hinting at me, from my impression), at which point I had options to tell her to bugger off, to remind her about Maia or to kiss her. All of that while I was already in a relationship with another character.

So my guess is that it's almost impossible to botch her romance. You can throw her at Eder, you can trow her at Maia (and Maia might even catch her), but she will still remain available to you.

Yes she flirted, I turned her down, we did her quests and had several conversations on the boat. I just never brought her along in party other then her quest.

I should have been more specific, sorry. What I meant was did Maia have any conversation available after you lock yourself in on the huana route? Because I read that she will only have a "Maia is angry and wouldn't talk to you" line over her head after that.

I left maia on the boat during my huana run and she stayed. Maybe because I didn't go to see Hazanui and reject her offer.

As far as I know Maia would be alright with you rejecting Hazanui's offer, because, uhhh, I'll hide it just in case since it's a bit spoilery.

The entire RDC quarters turn hostile and try to kill your party after that. Maia will stay and fight against them if I'm not mistaken.

Did she talk to you at all on the huana route?

Yes she flirted, I turned her down, we did her quests and had several conversations on the boat. I just never brought her along in party other then her quest.

Aloth spontaneously decided that the best time to chat 'feelings' was when the party was hiding between 6 tripple skull mobs, and an un-killable trap...

Man, that's the best time for romance. What kind of an adventurer are you? :p

A reminder on this thread - discuss people's points not themselves.  If you can't refute someone's argument without trying to psychoanalyze them (including trying to determine "why" they're "really" posting the way they post), then you are doing something wrong.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Boy am I confused.

Anyway, I also had Xoti hit on my Watcher when they were already romancing someone else, but that was before the latest patch. I didn't have it happen in my last game. On the other hand, I didn't have Eder in my party either; the bugged (?) conversation may be tied to him.

• Like 1

Boy am I confused.

Anyway, I also had Xoti hit on my Watcher when they were already romancing someone else, but that was before the latest patch. I didn't have it happen in my last game. On the other hand, I didn't have Eder in my party either; the bugged (?) conversation may be tied to him.

I think there are flirts which are natural parts of her dialogue regardless whether you romance her or not, and then there is the lock-in conversation where she tells you she likes you. Or something...

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Woo!! Thread #3!!

Boy am I confused.

I think there are flirts which are natural parts of her dialogue regardless whether you romance her or not, and then there is the lock-in conversation where she tells you she likes you. Or something...

I'd agree with this, I had a minor freakout last night because I stuck up for her when Eder was having a go at her, and she randomly grabbed my hand and started telling me how awesome I was... 

Since this is my 5th attempt at an Aloth romance now, I'm really hoping it's "just her", because I'm not sure I can stomach another starting sequence just yet  :facepalm:

In the absence of an in-game reward, I apparently can't be bothered to romance anyone.  Case in point: Tekēhu reserved that room at the Wild Mare weeks ago.  Meanwhile, my Watcher is exploring literally every scrap of land in Deadfire.

Awkward!

• Like 1

Well he did say he'll play it slow so...  :shrugz:

• Like 3
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

At least we can skip the "long walk" part of the starting sequence now. Very handy for those folks who have alt-itis. I, of course, am not one of those folks. I'm, um, playtesting. Yeah.

ALTS FOR SCIENCE!!!

Ehem...

I had no idea we could skip that now! Thank the gods!

• Like 2

At least we can skip the "long walk" part of the starting sequence now. Very handy for those folks who have alt-itis. I, of course, am not one of those folks. I'm, um, playtesting. Yeah.

ALTS FOR SCIENCE!!!

Ehem...

not skip like...hit ESC skip...

I still had to do it *again*...even though...well it didnt recognize my save with the update I guess..

But...under new game , you have a skip&new game show up..

it's weird..

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

ALTS FOR SCIENCE!!!

Ehem...

You can only skip the irritating slow walk at the beginning. It's still too long imo.

On another note, you get flirty options even if you are in a romance. I got one to hold Tekehu's hand after turning him down and another to say some crap like "anything for you Xoti" (eek!) when I was already on the Alothmance.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Also, when on the ship you can roll up to Serafen and try some incredibly cheesy pick-up lines on him. He shots you down though.  :biggrin:

Serves you right, Serafen is too good for you anyways.  :grin:

On another note, you get flirty options even if you are in a romance. I got one to hold Tekehu's hand after turning him down and another to say some crap like "anything for you Xoti" (eek!) when I was already on the Alothmance.

I actually didn't take the holding Hand thing as a flirty thing. More like back in poe1 with Aloth, a 'It is okay, I am here' thing... especially with Tekehu feeling really... young- More like holding a kids hand through a scary experience.

• Like 5

Doesn't Serafen only turn down godlike Watchers?

He turned down my elf-

Weird... I thought he swung every possible way... ;( 

I'll have to look up his 'preferences' before my next play through, I don't want any weird Aloth style hiccups for my debauched pirate run  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

• Like 1

How is everyone faring in regards to the adjusted affection gain rates after the patch? I find it that on my current playthrough I'm gaining rep even faster than before  :facepalm: Not sure if this is a bug or just me being more likeable in certain companions' eyes, but I hit +1 with Eder and Tekehu way sooner than the previous time. At least they don't initiate their reputation-gated conversations right away, but it still feels off. 

• Like 1

He turned down my elf-

Did he turn you down for sex or for a romance?

Cuz I think he says he isnt interested in a relationship so if you chose that option he will turn you down, but if you say you only want some fun you can sleep with him any time you are on the ship.  

• Like 1

He turned down my elf-

Did he turn you down for sex or for a romance?

Cuz I think he says he isnt interested in a relationship so if you chose that option he will turn you down, but if you say you only want some fun you can sleep with him any time you are on the ship.  

Good to know, TY  :dancing:

Okay, I reached +2 with Serafen and Tekehu (waaaaay earlier than the previous time), and they wouldn't initiate their conversations. Heck, Tekehu hasn't even given me the +1 one. What is going on I wonder? Did the patch put some of these dialogue behind a certain plot point? Is it only the romance related stuff that gets delayed so that we don't get attacked by hungry companions right off the bat (if so, I hope I won't get +1 and +2 both one right after another)? Eder started his friendly +1 chat just fine, and Aloth attempted to give me the -1 "You're like Thaos" speech even though its flow hilariously bugged out. I guess I'll have to test it further with Maia to understand what's going on. 

But then again, Serafen's +2 conversation also doesn't trigger. And I want that cool hat from him since we are already that close after a single day of running around Neketaka. C'mon Serafen, I know you like me enough. 

Update: aha, got it, looks like Tekehu's +1 triggers after the "The Kahanga royalty seem to be really taken with you" conversation. Now on to see how Maia will behave. I hope hers is also locked behind some player-initiated interaction, this way at least we have some measure of control over when and where it happens. Wonder what's Serafen's deal though (give me my hat already, you).

Edited by Yria
  • Like 1