Tried lots of things but can’t solve framerate/stuttering issues

ArtrusKhet

Question

The game is a fantastic follow-up to PoE1 but performance wise it’s getting kind of annoying. It’s playable but there is a slight framerate hitch or pulling that is making it irritating to play. Scrolling around the unexplored area is fine but re-centering and moving the screen around my party causes it to stutter. Sometimes it affects the inventory as well in that moving items around makes the mouse feel sluggish which is a real pain in such an inventory heavy game. Also in different areas the party member’s initial movement animations seem to skip or load. It’s as if the animation skips the run transition and goes straight from standing still to running making their movement look jerky. These issues also don’t seem to be solely related to the size of the map. I’ve had small cave systems run smoothly only to have single room house maps have the stuttering.

Here is what I have tried:

• Updating drivers including a clean install
  • Altering graphics options via the nVidia control panel – from overriding in game settings to just forcing different things off (also tried the power management setting change some people have suggested)
  • Trying to change the CPU affinity
  • Using msconfig and task manager to see and alter anything weird that may be running in the background
  • Turning off malware and anti-virus programs
  • Turning off the in game telemetry setting
  • Playing in Steam offline mode
  • Stopping the party members from using dynamic light sources like Xoti’s lantern
  • Turned down or off all in-game graphics options including changing to different resolutions – trying this stuff is the most frustrating because even dropping the game to its lowest setting had little to no effect on the game’s performance

My system exceeds the recommended requirements, not by much, but still enough that I don’t think a graphics card upgrade for this game should be warranted. And I probably wouldn’t even mind that if lowering the in-game graphics options seemed to stop or at least significantly reduce the stuttering but they don’t.

Anyway, like I said, the game is great and I played the first twice so I really don’t want to put it down but playing is just annoying at times.

So, I’m posting because I hope someone can suggest something I haven’t tried or weigh in on whether using Windows 7 Pro instead of 10 could be the problem. (I know I’m behind on that but I’ve so perfected my Windows 7 game machine setup I just haven’t been chomping at the bit to change over….)

System specs:

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD (x2)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE

Windows 7 Professional 64bit (up to date)

** The game is installed on one of the SSDs

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

1 answer to this question