Factions are actually where the game shines (and Neketaka). Most interesting quets and decisions are made in factions quests.

Main story is there just to justify the facions shenanigans. (and is pretty weak)

Yes, they are all ****ty. But most have duality in them. All have it's pros and cons, just like most real life political factions. Their nuances make the game interesting.

Interesting you chose Huana to be the best. I'd say they are the worst. They are racist, xenopohbes following suprestitions and dark age traditons. Their caste system might be worse than actual slavery.

Because they're the indigenous people. The others were going to have to make a strong case to get me to side with them. I was prepared to support the VTC, who seem to offer something to the Huana besides conquest- up to the point they wanted me to commit at best mass murder and at worst mass murder and suicide. Nothing they had done had earned such fanatic loyalty. I'm not sure I could do that quest even if I rp'ed a Vailian.

Meanwhile the Rautaians didn't make a good case for what they could offer the Deadfire, and after I opened Ukaizo without sacrificing any of their ships or men- they respond by attacking me.

The Principi really offer the best moral choice, and I would have gone with them after forsaking the VTC, if I could have gotten Furrante to step down. At least they can be bargained with. Fanatics cannot.

By default, I picked "screw all y'all." Even with a bad ending, it was the only real choice.

It's not that I dislike factions, it's how they were executed in this one that left me cold. Fallout New Vegas remains the gold standard, even with the Legion being so shortchanged.

Edited by Celan

I used my character backstory to determine my actions in the Deadfire.  Deadfire>slave.  Then slaughtered anyone and everything that supports the crookspur slavers, with only minor support to the remaining factions, but ultimately went my own way because my character didn't really care about the Deadfire and who became the Top Dog there.

I have pretty much done the same thing. 

I freakin hate playing politics in RPGs, and they all seem to be including the 'faction system' these days. I miss the days of DA:O where you basically said "The world is ending, we're the only ones left who can stop the threat... you could stop us and doom the world... or you could let us save your petty squabbling asses. Your choice!" and then mike drop out of 'court' and get on with risking life an limb. 

I just don't care, unless innocent people are being hurt, or the faction is trying to stop me from doing my job (which was the very worst part of DA:I). I"ll mash the slavers, because slavers, but everyone else can just get out of my way. 

I'll give them points this time for portraying every faction as horrible. It's the most realistic depiction of politics I've ever seen in a game and I can only hope that it's caused people to rethink their stance on politics in real life. The real choice isn't which faction you support, it's whether or not you give in to political apathy.

The Principi think they are nobles but are nothing more than pirates.

Oh, you sided with those Principi.  I sided with the Aeldys faction: pirates who know they're pirates and just want to do some pirating before the end of the world.  Had to respect their purity of motive.

• Like 2

Because they're the indigenous people. The others were going to have to make a strong case to get me to side with them. I was prepared to support the VTC, who seem to offer something to the Huana besides conquest- up to the point they wanted me to commit at best mass murder and at worst mass murder and suicide.

Jut try siding with Huana next time and compare :)

The Principi really offer the best moral choice

And the worst ending, if you don't support Furrante (who is a slaver).

Maybe if you do too.

There is a way to side with Huana and VTC without making the gunpowder warehouse go boom - go see Hazanui first, she asks you to assassinate Onekaza, you say "No thanks, I'll be going now", and she's all "Nuh-uh". You mop the floor with them and the dudes outside, go see Onekaza or Castol, they're all "Welp, you're brutal but efficient, lets proceed to Ukaizo then". Voila, no blown up civvies on your conscience.  :biggrin:

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 2

To be honest, after seeing RDC murdering animancers in the Spire I didn't feel bad at all about blowing up their warehouse. I wouldn't do it for Onekaza because that also involves framing another party (even if they were planning to blow it up themselves, we beat them to it), but if I choose VTC - sure, why not. 

I'll give them points this time for portraying every faction as horrible. It's the most realistic depiction of politics I've ever seen in a game and I can only hope that it's caused people to rethink their stance on politics in real life. The real choice isn't which faction you support, it's whether or not you give in to political apathy.

Apathy is the correct response IMO.

To be honest, after seeing RDC murdering animancers in the Spire I didn't feel bad at all about blowing up their warehouse. I wouldn't do it for Onekaza because that also involves framing another party (even if they were planning to blow it up themselves, we beat them to it), but if I choose VTC - sure, why not. 

So you'd respond by committing an even worse atrocity?

Good to know there's a way to wipe the floor with the hazanui and circumvent all that.

So you'd respond by committing an even worse atrocity?

It's not a responce, it's a way to eliminate a political rival. The one that lied to me on every turn, tried to harass me into handing them the coordinates of Ukaizo and made me complicit in murder of local chieftains. Them attacking the Spire simply drops my sympathy level for them below zero. 

And I wouldn't really call it worse. 

• Like 2

Feel like the game's minor factions should have a bit more impact too, it feels weird coming from how New Vegas and even Tyranny handled factions in interesting ways, and then it seems PoE 2 have regressed a lot on that front

Yeah, for me its mostly lack of picking sides until finale. In my recent Tyranny playthrough I have been at odds with Voices for the majority of the game, so it feels satisfying to fight him at the end. In Deadfire the end fights is too sudden, even though there is an explenation for it. 

In my recent Tyranny playthrough I have been at odds with Voices for the majority of the game, so it feels satisfying to fight him at the end. In Deadfire the end fights is too sudden, even though there is an explenation for it. 

Interesting. My first Tyranny playthrough (Disfavored) I felt more like "me and this archon I sided with and thanks to that know a lot about VS that other archon I know nothing about beyond him being a psycho". I didn't care at all about confronting Nerat because I only saw him briefly in the first act, and after that he was gone for the bigger part of the game. Sure, I ran into his minions from time to time, but they were not him. Accusing Ashe in the court and killing him was actually way more satisfying because he had all the time in the world to make me hate him during act 2.

In Deadfire I at least get to work with all the faction leaders and form some opinion about them. I even felt somewhat bad about snatching the Hangman from under Furrante's nose and killing him on Ukaizo, and Principi was the faction I cared the least about.

Edited by Yria